FoodBanter.com

-   -   Best book for newbie (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/126282-best-book-newbie.html)

Eris 13-06-2007 07:57 PM

Best book for newbie

I want a think pink inside steak. Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.
No Costco here just Sam's. Is Costco better?

Thanks
Jim

John Morgan 14-06-2007 08:45 AM

Best book for newbie

On 13 Jun, 19:57, Eris wrote:
I want a think pink inside steak. Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.
No Costco here just Sam's. Is Costco better?

Thanks
Jim

What exactly is it you're looking for?

John
www.morgans-net.com

[email protected] 14-06-2007 01:21 PM

Best book for newbie

On Jun 13, 1:57 pm, Eris wrote:
I want a think pink inside steak. Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.
No Costco here just Sam's. Is Costco better?

Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim, I do my steaks on the grill. I allow the steaks to come to
room temp, brush both sides with olive oil and lightly salt and
peppered.I fire up the gas grill to high for at least 15 minutes
before hand. Very hot. Toss the steaks on the grill, I think I allow
about two to three minutes per side. Seared outside with a pink
inside.Let rest a few minutes. It`s the only way my wife and myself
like our steaks.
Don

EZ 15-06-2007 04:57 PM

Best book for newbie

wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:57 pm, Eris wrote:
I want a think pink inside steak. Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.
No Costco here just Sam's. Is Costco better?

Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim, I do my steaks on the grill. I allow the steaks to come to
room temp, brush both sides with olive oil and lightly salt and
peppered.I fire up the gas grill to high for at least 15 minutes
before hand. Very hot. Toss the steaks on the grill, I think I allow
about two to three minutes per side. Seared outside with a pink
inside.Let rest a few minutes. It`s the only way my wife and myself
like our steaks.
Don

Don, I do mine the same way if they're not too thick. The ones from Costco
and Sam's are too thick for me to manage that. So, I fire up my grill to
very hot just like you, sear each side for a minute or two, then turn the
center burner way down and the outside ones to about medium. Cook them on
semi-indirect heat like that until they're the right color.

And, if the OP is after a good book on grilling (not barbecue), I like the
book "How to Grill." Lots of very good newbie advice there.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"

John Morgan 15-06-2007 11:48 PM

Best book for newbie

On 15 Jun, 16:57, "EZ" wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:57 pm, Eris wrote:
[...]

Anybody here ever tried using charcoal?

John
www.morgans-net.com

Dave Bugg 16-06-2007 01:50 AM

Best book for newbie

John Morgan wrote:
On 15 Jun, 16:57, "EZ" wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:57 pm, Eris wrote:
[...]

No, we only use solar power.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

BOB[_8_] 16-06-2007 02:03 AM

Best book for newbie

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

John Morgan wrote:
On 15 Jun, 16:57, "EZ" wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:57 pm, Eris wrote:
[...]

Do you have enough of that up there? I could send ya some/

BOB
running to hide from Dave

Dave Bugg 16-06-2007 02:27 AM

Best book for newbie

BOB wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

John Morgan wrote:
On 15 Jun, 16:57, "EZ" wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:57 pm, Eris wrote:
[...]

LOL!!!! I live on the sunny side of the Cascades.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Graeme...in London 16-06-2007 03:01 PM

Best book for newbie

"EZ" wrote in message
t...
wrote:

snip

And, if the OP is after a good book on grilling (not barbecue), I like the
book "How to Grill." Lots of very good newbie advice there.

Since we're on the subject of books....

For the fundametalists, I would like to point out an unnoticed but enormous
global waste - books. Do you how many books are published in Great Britain
each year? Think of a figure, double it and times by your age: 206,000. More
than any other country in the world. America vomits out 172,000. Oman, by
compararison, publishes seven. Niger, five. That's ~new~ books. And it's an
underestimate. Given an average print run of, say, 5,000, that makes 5.85
billion books a year. Each costs about 1.30 GBP to make. How much cash is
that? How many trees is that? How much trapped CO2 released back into the
atmosphere? How much bleach and chemicals? How much power to run plant, dyes
and glues and packaging and marketing? How much transport? How much effort?

In the UK, we buy 296m books a year and read fewer than a fifth of them.
Paper publishing is a bigger polluter and waster of resources than all the
air miles flown. Every book could be written once and put on the internet.
But the eco-sermonisers never mention any of that. They never go for books.

Rant over

Graeme....proud to work in the world of publishing!!

Pete C. 16-06-2007 06:55 PM

Best book for newbie

Dave Bugg wrote:

John Morgan wrote:
On 15 Jun, 16:57, "EZ" wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:57 pm, Eris wrote:
[...]

Don't laugh... When I wheeled my smoker out into the Texas sun the other
day, in short order it was reading 135 degrees before I had even put
charcoal in it.

Pete C.

EZ 17-06-2007 03:58 AM

Best book for newbie

John Morgan wrote:

Anybody here ever tried using charcoal?

Yup. Half of my cookers are charcoal burners. Only two are propane. One
burns 100% hardwod pellets from a dozen or so different trees - mesquite,
hickory, alder, apple, cherry, oak, etc.

BOB[_8_] 17-06-2007 10:06 AM

Best book for newbie

"Dave Bugg" wrote
LOL!!!! I live on the sunny side of the Cascades.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

;-)
We still got more sun.

BOB

Dave Bugg 17-06-2007 08:19 PM

Best book for newbie

BOB wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote
LOL!!!! I live on the sunny side of the Cascades.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

;-)
We still got more sun.

LOL!!! Yeah, but it's a 'wet' sun. :-) What's your humidity been at
lately, Bob?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

BOB[_8_] 19-06-2007 12:54 AM

Best book for newbie

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

BOB wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote
LOL!!!! I live on the sunny side of the Cascades.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

;-)
We still got more sun.

LOL!!! Yeah, but it's a 'wet' sun. :-) What's your humidity been at
lately, Bob?

45 to 50% relative humidity.

BOB

oh, you mean *outside*?
;-)

BOB[_8_] 19-06-2007 12:58 AM

Best book for newbie

"Pete C." wrote in message

Dave Bugg wrote:

No, we only use solar power.

Don't laugh... When I wheeled my smoker out into the Texas sun the
other day, in short order it was reading 135 degrees before I had
even put charcoal in it.

Pete C.

LOL
Right now, my Stoker is reading 175 in my Stump's and 151 in my #5 Kamado.
Neither has had a fire since Saturday night. It *is* sunny outside and the
Stump's is black, the Kamado is terra cotta red. No wonder I can't cold
smoke anything except for 2 or 3 days a year.
;-)

BOB