Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Best book for newbie

I want a think pink inside steak. Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.
No Costco here just Sam's. Is Costco better?

Thanks
Jim

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 13 Jun, 19:57, Eris > wrote:
> I want a think pink inside steak. Any advice will be greatly
> appreciated.
> No Costco here just Sam's. Is Costco better?
>
> Thanks
> Jim

What exactly is it you're looking for?

John
www.morgans-net.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 13, 1:57 pm, Eris > wrote:
> I want a think pink inside steak. Any advice will be greatly
> appreciated.
> No Costco here just Sam's. Is Costco better?
>
> Thanks
> Jim

Hi Jim, I do my steaks on the grill. I allow the steaks to come to
room temp, brush both sides with olive oil and lightly salt and
peppered.I fire up the gas grill to high for at least 15 minutes
before hand. Very hot. Toss the steaks on the grill, I think I allow
about two to three minutes per side. Seared outside with a pink
inside.Let rest a few minutes. It`s the only way my wife and myself
like our steaks.
Don

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 15 Jun, 16:57, "EZ" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Jun 13, 1:57 pm, Eris > wrote:
> >> I want a think pink inside steak. Any advice will be greatly
> >> appreciated.
> >> No Costco here just Sam's. Is Costco better?

> >> Thanks
> >> Jim

> > Hi Jim, I do my steaks on the grill. I allow the steaks to come to
> > room temp, brush both sides with olive oil and lightly salt and
> > peppered.I fire up the gas grill to high for at least 15 minutes
> > before hand. Very hot. Toss the steaks on the grill, I think I allow
> > about two to three minutes per side. Seared outside with a pink
> > inside.Let rest a few minutes. It`s the only way my wife and myself
> > like our steaks.
> > Don

> Don, I do mine the same way if they're not too thick. The ones from Costco
> and Sam's are too thick for me to manage that. So, I fire up my grill to
> very hot just like you, sear each side for a minute or two, then turn the
> center burner way down and the outside ones to about medium. Cook them on
> semi-indirect heat like that until they're the right color.
>
> And, if the OP is after a good book on grilling (not barbecue), I like the
> book "How to Grill." Lots of very good newbie advice there.
>
> --
> EZ
> Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"
> CharGriller Smokin Pro
> Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Wide Body
> CharmGlow 3-burner All-Stainless Gas Grill
> Weber Kettle One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
> Weber Kettle Smoky Joe Silver 14-1/2"

Anybody here ever tried using charcoal?

John
www.morgans-net.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

John Morgan wrote:
> On 15 Jun, 16:57, "EZ" > wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> Hi Jim, I do my steaks on the grill. I allow the steaks to come to
>>> room temp, brush both sides with olive oil and lightly salt and
>>> peppered.I fire up the gas grill to high for at least 15 minutes
>>> before hand. Very hot. Toss the steaks on the grill, I think I allow
>>> about two to three minutes per side. Seared outside with a pink
>>> inside.Let rest a few minutes. It`s the only way my wife and myself
>>> like our steaks.
>>> Don

>> Don, I do mine the same way if they're not too thick. The ones from
>> Costco and Sam's are too thick for me to manage that. So, I fire up
>> my grill to very hot just like you, sear each side for a minute or
>> two, then turn the center burner way down and the outside ones to
>> about medium. Cook them on semi-indirect heat like that until
>> they're the right color.
>>
>> And, if the OP is after a good book on grilling (not barbecue), I
>> like the book "How to Grill." Lots of very good newbie advice there.
>>
>> --
>> EZ
>> Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"
>> CharGriller Smokin Pro
>> Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Wide Body
>> CharmGlow 3-burner All-Stainless Gas Grill
>> Weber Kettle One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
>> Weber Kettle Smoky Joe Silver 14-1/2"

> Anybody here ever tried using charcoal?

No, we only use solar power.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

> John Morgan wrote:

> > > Don, I do mine the same way if they're not too thick. The ones
> > > from Costco and Sam's are too thick for me to manage that. So, I
> > > fire up my grill to very hot just like you, sear each side for a
> > > minute or two, then turn the center burner way down and the
> > > outside ones to about medium. Cook them on semi-indirect heat
> > > like that until they're the right color.
> > >
> > > And, if the OP is after a good book on grilling (not barbecue), I
> > > like the book "How to Grill." Lots of very good newbie advice
> > > there. --
> > > EZ
> > > Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"
> > > CharGriller Smokin Pro
> > > Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Wide Body
> > > CharmGlow 3-burner All-Stainless Gas Grill
> > > Weber Kettle One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
> > > Weber Kettle Smoky Joe Silver 14-1/2"

> > Anybody here ever tried using charcoal?

> No, we only use solar power.

Do you have enough of that up there? I could send ya some/

BOB
running to hide from Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>
>> John Morgan wrote:

>>> Anybody here ever tried using charcoal?

>> No, we only use solar power.
>>

> Do you have enough of that up there? I could send ya some/
>
> BOB
> running to hide from Dave

LOL!!!! I live on the sunny side of the Cascades.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

> John Morgan wrote:

> >> Don, I do mine the same way if they're not too thick. The ones from
> >> Costco and Sam's are too thick for me to manage that. So, I fire up
> >> my grill to very hot just like you, sear each side for a minute or
> >> two, then turn the center burner way down and the outside ones to
> >> about medium. Cook them on semi-indirect heat like that until
> >> they're the right color.
> >>
> >> And, if the OP is after a good book on grilling (not barbecue), I
> >> like the book "How to Grill." Lots of very good newbie advice there.
> >>
> >> --
> >> EZ
> >> Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"
> >> CharGriller Smokin Pro
> >> Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Wide Body
> >> CharmGlow 3-burner All-Stainless Gas Grill
> >> Weber Kettle One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
> >> Weber Kettle Smoky Joe Silver 14-1/2"

> > Anybody here ever tried using charcoal?

> No, we only use solar power.

Don't laugh... When I wheeled my smoker out into the Texas sun the other
day, in short order it was reading 135 degrees before I had even put
charcoal in it.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

John Morgan wrote:

> Anybody here ever tried using charcoal?

Yup. Half of my cookers are charcoal burners. Only two are propane. One
burns 100% hardwod pellets from a dozen or so different trees - mesquite,
hickory, alder, apple, cherry, oak, etc.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"
CharGriller Smokin Pro
Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Wide Body
CharmGlow 3-burner All-Stainless Gas Grill
Weber Kettle One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Kettle Smoky Joe Silver 14-1/2"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" wrote
> LOL!!!! I live on the sunny side of the Cascades.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

;-)
We still got more sun.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" wrote
>> LOL!!!! I live on the sunny side of the Cascades.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> www.davebbq.com

> ;-)
> We still got more sun.

LOL!!! Yeah, but it's a 'wet' sun. :-) What's your humidity been at
lately, Bob?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

> BOB wrote:
> > "Dave Bugg" wrote
> > > LOL!!!! I live on the sunny side of the Cascades.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dave
> > > www.davebbq.com

> > ;-)
> > We still got more sun.

> LOL!!! Yeah, but it's a 'wet' sun. :-) What's your humidity been at
> lately, Bob?

45 to 50% relative humidity.

BOB

oh, you mean *outside*?
;-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Dave Bugg wrote:

> > No, we only use solar power.

> Don't laugh... When I wheeled my smoker out into the Texas sun the
> other day, in short order it was reading 135 degrees before I had
> even put charcoal in it.
>
> Pete C.

LOL
Right now, my Stoker is reading 175 in my Stump's and 151 in my #5 Kamado.
Neither has had a fire since Saturday night. It *is* sunny outside and the
Stump's is black, the Kamado is terra cotta red. No wonder I can't cold
smoke anything except for 2 or 3 days a year.
;-)

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>
>> BOB wrote:
>>> "Dave Bugg" wrote

>>> ;-)
>>> We still got more sun.

>> LOL!!! Yeah, but it's a 'wet' sun. :-) What's your humidity been at
>> lately, Bob?

> 45 to 50% relative humidity.
>
> BOB
>
> oh, you mean *outside*?
> ;-)

LOL!!!!
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Jun-2007, " BOB" > wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>
> > BOB wrote:
> > > "Dave Bugg" wrote

> > > ;-)
> > > We still got more sun.

> > LOL!!! Yeah, but it's a 'wet' sun. :-) What's your humidity been at
> > lately, Bob?

> 45 to 50% relative humidity.
>
> BOB
>
> oh, you mean *outside*?
> ;-)

It was 92°F and 77% outside today. 73°F and 39% inside.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)