Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Vacuum Marinator

Anyone using the FoodSaver quick vacuum marinator? Quality? Thoughts?
RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rob Mills wrote:
> Anyone using the FoodSaver quick vacuum marinator? Quality? Thoughts?
> RM~

I've got one. I have used it, but cannot really tell weather or not it
helps. (I usually marinate overnight)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"shawn" > wrote in message

>> but cannot really tell weather or not it helps. <<

That's what I was wondering about. I have one of those multi needle
perforating tenderizers and thought maybe the combination of the two
might work, seems like it should suck it in. Guess I'll order one and try
it. Thanks! RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

shawn wrote:
> Rob Mills wrote:
>> Anyone using the FoodSaver quick vacuum marinator? Quality? Thoughts?
>> RM~
>>

> I've got one. I have used it, but cannot really tell weather or not it
> helps. (I usually marinate overnight)

I have a FS but we're not into marinades. But my *guess*
would be that it would actually hinder the marinade process.
By applying a vacuum you compress the tissues/cells of the
item being sealed. Seems ti me that would make it nearly
impossible for the liquid to penetrate.

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

>>> By applying a vacuum you compress the tissues/cells of the

item being sealed. <<<

That really is a thought. I've often wondered how much of a marinade
actually penetrated past the outer surface. I do have one of those nozzle
type vacupacks and it pulls a lot more vacuum than my channel type
foodsaver. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

> I have a FS but we're not into marinades. But my *guess* would be that it
> would actually hinder the marinade process. By applying a vacuum you
> compress the tissues/cells of the item being sealed. Seems ti me that
> would make it nearly impossible for the liquid to penetrate.

No you open the cells and allow the liquid to get in. Commercial tumblers
use vacuum for that reason. They can to 100+ pound batches in a very short
time. Then after adding the low cost liquid to the meat they can sell it
for a higher price.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

>>> Commercial meat tumblers are based on a vacuum.<<<

I've seen those and it had crossed my mind to make a tumbler (I've made rock
tumblers in the past) that would hold two of the foodsaver large round
vacuum storage canisters. In fact that canister on that home tumbler link
you posted looks an awful lot like a foodsaver canister. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> I have a FS but we're not into marinades. But my *guess* would be that it
>> would actually hinder the marinade process. By applying a vacuum you
>> compress the tissues/cells of the item being sealed. Seems ti me that
>> would make it nearly impossible for the liquid to penetrate.

> No you open the cells and allow the liquid to get in. Commercial tumblers
> use vacuum for that reason. They can to 100+ pound batches in a very short
> time. Then after adding the low cost liquid to the meat they can sell it
> for a higher price.

Try this. Make an Italian sandwich out of some italian
bread, ham, cheese, whatever you like and put it into a
"marinade". Then make the exact same thing an vacuum seal it
and see which takes up more of the liquid.

Me thinks it will show what I'm saying.

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:09:15 -0400, Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> Try this. Make an Italian sandwich out of some italian
>> bread, ham, cheese, whatever you like and put it into a
>> "marinade". Then make the exact same thing an vacuum seal it
>> and see which takes up more of the liquid.
>>
>> Me thinks it will show what I'm saying.

> That dry bread absorbs more water than wet meat?
>
> <boggle>
>
> I think the science trumps your WAG on this. Otherwise
> manufacturers wouldn't be spending hundreds of thousands of
> dollars on these machines that obviously work.
>
> -sw

Could be, but I doubt it. Try my suggestion, I think that
you'll see the difference. In the mean time, people have
bought hoola-hoops, pet rocks, and weather rocks for years.
You one of them? ;-)

The American consumer is one of the dumbest creatures ever
created. (not a shot at you, just consumers in general)

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Try this. Make an Italian sandwich out of some italian bread, ham, cheese,
> whatever you like and put it into a "marinade". Then make the exact same
> thing an vacuum seal it and see which takes up more of the liquid.
>
> Me thinks it will show what I'm saying.
>
> --
> Steve
> http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com

The structure of bread and meat are entirely different. Vacuum opens the
muscle fibers allowing marinade to penetrate. Think "Boyle's Law". Try
putting a balloon in a box and they draw a vacuum. The balloon will expand.
That is essentially what is happening to the cell structure of the meat.
That allows the marinade to penetrate.

I didn't make this up, it just happens to be physics.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Try this. Make an Italian sandwich out of some italian bread, ham, cheese,
>> whatever you like and put it into a "marinade". Then make the exact same
>> thing an vacuum seal it and see which takes up more of the liquid.
>>
>> Me thinks it will show what I'm saying.
>>
>> --
>> Steve
>> http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com

> The structure of bread and meat are entirely different. Vacuum opens the
> muscle fibers allowing marinade to penetrate. Think "Boyle's Law". Try
> putting a balloon in a box and they draw a vacuum. The balloon will expand.
> That is essentially what is happening to the cell structure of the meat.
> That allows the marinade to penetrate.
>
> I didn't make this up, it just happens to be physics.

ok, Edwin. I may give it a shot based on your description.
It actually does make sense, theoretically of course. ;-)

I think I'll take three round steaks and marinate/vac seal
one and marinate/baggie, and one plain and see what happens.
I'll report back but it may be a few weeks.

If nothing else good came out of this thread, I reinstated
my KF with Sqwirtz

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 29-Apr-2007, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 20:19:52 -0400, Steve Calvin wrote:
>
> > Steve Wertz wrote:

> >> That dry bread absorbs more water than wet meat?
> >>
> >> <boggle>
> >>
> >> I think the science trumps your WAG on this. Otherwise
> >> manufacturers wouldn't be spending hundreds of thousands of
> >> dollars on these machines that obviously work.

> > Could be, but I doubt it. Try my suggestion, I think that
> > you'll see the difference.

> Meat != Bread. Your argument and example is completely absurd.
>
> > In the mean time, people have
> > bought hoola-hoops, pet rocks, and weather rocks for years.
> > You one of them? ;-)
> >
> > The American consumer is one of the dumbest creatures ever
> > created. (not a shot at you, just consumers in general)

> Are you honestly suggesting that every major meat packer owns
> dozens of these huge devices, and it's all just the Gullible Pet
> Rock syndrome?
>
> Or are you just arguing because you're too pig-headed to admit
> your wild-ass-guess was wrong?
>
> -sw

He apparently does not have a vacuum machine of his own. At my
house meat sucks up fluid like a leech when I pull a vacuum on
it while it's immersed in liquid. Meat and vegetables have a lot of
open space in them which is immediately filled with liquid as soon
as the air is removed. The cells do not compress as suggested.
Why would they. There is no pressure left to compress them. Don't
confuse vacuum in a jar or other hard container with vacuum in a
pliable bag where outside air pressure figures in the equation.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
> I think I'll take three round steaks and marinate/vac seal one and
> marinate/baggie, and one plain and see what happens.
> I'll report back but it may be a few weeks.

Weigh it on an accurate scale before and after too.

-Andy B.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Andy B." > wrote in message
. ..

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I think I'll take three round steaks and marinate/vac seal one and
>> marinate/baggie, and one plain and see what happens.
>> I'll report back but it may be a few weeks.
>>

> Weigh it on an accurate scale before and after too.
>
> -Andy B.

I have a friend that swears if you vac pac meat in a marinade then freeze
it when it thaws out it sucks up all the juices.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mike" > wrote in message
. ..

> I have a friend that swears if you vac pac meat in a marinade then freeze
> it when it thaws out it sucks up all the juices.

That's interesting, guess it could be that it sucks it up during the vacuum
process. They apply wood veneer with a vacuum press that uses a heavy
plastic bag.
Guess I'll have to try it. RM~

PS, I ordered a 3 1/4 qt vacuum canister last night. I'm going to make (or
modify one I already have) a tumbler for it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:49:59 -0400, Steve Calvin wrote:
>
> > If nothing else good came out of this thread, I reinstated
> > my KF with Sqwirtz

> Promises, promises. It seems I'm only kill-filed every other week
> with you.
>
> It still doesn't protect me from making an ass out of you, not
> that you need much help anyway.
>
> -sw

Hey...What are you doing here? I killfile you (almost) daily. You keep
crawling back out!

;-)

BOB
laughing as I leave the computer for the back door to get a (OB
food.barbecue) pork tenderloin from the small Kamado

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-30, Mike > wrote:

> I have a friend that swears if you vac pac meat in a marinade then freeze
> it when it thaws out it sucks up all the juices.

I did this a few weeks ago and it came out considerably better than the same
meat w/o vacuum marinading.. In my case I just used my regular old Food Saver..
No need for a tumbler -- I don't think it matters that much if you've got
enough marinade... My wife & sister-in-law were able to notice the difference
and wondered if the meat was marinated overnight -- it was actually marinataed
for about 30 minutes after vacuum sealing.. Works for me..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rick F. wrote:
> On 2007-04-30, Mike > wrote:
>> I have a friend that swears if you vac pac meat in a marinade then freeze
>> it when it thaws out it sucks up all the juices.

> I did this a few weeks ago and it came out considerably better than the same
> meat w/o vacuum marinading.. In my case I just used my regular old Food Saver..
> No need for a tumbler -- I don't think it matters that much if you've got
> enough marinade... My wife & sister-in-law were able to notice the difference
> and wondered if the meat was marinated overnight -- it was actually marinataed
> for about 30 minutes after vacuum sealing.. Works for me..

Interesting. I guess that's a vote for "it works" ;-D

I may try it next time with my jerky but that's about all I
marinate.

Thanks