Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default A new way to grill steak

The. Cook's Illustrated that came today had
an interesting article about 1.5" or thicker
steak where you roast the steak in the oven
at 275F until the internal temp. is 90F and then
brown it on top of the stove. Look at:
http://cooksillustrated.com/byissue.asp#topOfPage
Why not try smoking the steak in your WSM or
equivalent to 90F, and then searing it on a very hot
grill?
I like to grill 2.5" thick sirloin[chateaubriand in Cal.] from the
butt end of the sirloin. This would be perfect
for that. It would give you a nice smokey flavor usually
lacking from grilled steak, and it would give you "char-rare",
as the above link shows.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-10, Kent > wrote:
> The. Cook's Illustrated that came today had
> an interesting article about 1.5" or thicker
> steak where you roast the steak in the oven
> at 275F until the internal temp. is 90F and then
> brown it on top of the stove. Look at:
> http://cooksillustrated.com/byissue.asp#topOfPage
> Why not try smoking the steak in your WSM or
> equivalent to 90F, and then searing it on a very hot
> grill?
> I like to grill 2.5" thick sirloin[chateaubriand in Cal.] from the
> butt end of the sirloin. This would be perfect
> for that. It would give you a nice smokey flavor usually
> lacking from grilled steak, and it would give you "char-rare",
> as the above link shows.

Hmm.. Might have to try that.. Sounds better than the crappy
"flap" meat we've been eating lately.. 'Gettin tired of that stuff.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Why not try smoking the steak in your WSM or
> equivalent to 90F, and then searing it on a very hot
> grill?
> I like to grill 2.5" thick sirloin[chateaubriand in Cal.] from the
> butt end of the sirloin. This would be perfect
> for that. It would give you a nice smokey flavor usually
> lacking from grilled steak, and it would give you "char-rare",
> as the above link shows.

I've done some similar things with beef and it woks well. Certainly worth a
try on a very thick steak.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 9, 7:54 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > as the above link shows.

> I've done some similar things with beef and it woks well. Certainly worth a
> try on a very thick steak.

Like those Costco monsters. I cut some of them into two steaks they're
so damn thick. Generally stay away from those, they're just cut wrong.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I always sear my steaks first, then move them away from the fire to finish.
We like to cook 4" Sirloins (4-8 lbs each) to 90-100 degrees in the center
for groups of 4 to 6.

--
Ask Me Why I support Stem Cell Research
http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/faqs.asp

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> Why not try smoking the steak in your WSM or
>> equivalent to 90F, and then searing it on a very hot
>> grill?
>> I like to grill 2.5" thick sirloin[chateaubriand in Cal.] from the
>> butt end of the sirloin. This would be perfect
>> for that. It would give you a nice smokey flavor usually
>> lacking from grilled steak, and it would give you "char-rare",
>> as the above link shows.

> I've done some similar things with beef and it woks well. Certainly worth a
> try on a very thick steak.

I s'pose anything's worth a shot.

--
Steve
My outdoor discussion boards (new so not much there, yet)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Barry Bean" > wrote in message
.130...
>I always sear my steaks first, then move them away from the fire to finish.
> We like to cook 4" Sirloins (4-8 lbs each) to 90-100 degrees in the center
> for groups of 4 to 6.
>

> --
> Ask Me Why I support Stem Cell Research
> http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/faqs.asp

I routinely have done just as you do.
Char the steak first on all sides, and then move it
to a cooler indirect part of the grill and finish it to
110F or so.
We buy whole sirloins from CostCo and cut them into
2.5-3.5" steaks.What's interesting about this is that Cooks Illustrated
is suggesting the opposite. The author says that this will give you a
more uniform rare steak from edge to edge, and that
it won't dry out.
I'm going to smoke a 3" sirloin at a low temp. to
90F, and then sear it over very high heat following.
That should give you a very "smoky" steak, more
so than the opposite way.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> The. Cook's Illustrated that came today had
> an interesting article about 1.5" or thicker
> steak where you roast the steak in the oven
> at 275F until the internal temp. is 90F and then
> brown it on top of the stove. Look at:
> http://cooksillustrated.com/byissue.asp#topOfPage
> Why not try smoking the steak in your WSM or
> equivalent to 90F, and then searing it on a very hot
> grill?
> I like to grill 2.5" thick sirloin[chateaubriand in Cal.] from the
> butt end of the sirloin. This would be perfect
> for that. It would give you a nice smokey flavor usually
> lacking from grilled steak, and it would give you "char-rare",
> as the above link shows.
>
> Kent

I had a grilled, smoked, prime rib in Dallas like this once. Close your
eyes and it was the most tender Hebrew National you have ever tasted.
Pass the mustard.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..
> The. Cook's Illustrated that came today had
> an interesting article about 1.5" or thicker
> steak where you roast the steak in the oven
> at 275F until the internal temp. is 90F and then
> brown it on top of the stove. Look at:
> http://cooksillustrated.com/byissue.asp#topOfPage
> Why not try smoking the steak in your WSM or
> equivalent to 90F, and then searing it on a very hot
> grill?
> I like to grill 2.5" thick sirloin[chateaubriand in Cal.] from the
> butt end of the sirloin. This would be perfect
> for that. It would give you a nice smokey flavor usually
> lacking from grilled steak, and it would give you "char-rare",
> as the above link shows.
>
> Kent

Firstly let me introduce myself. I'm Andy and have been truly cue'in only
for about 3 or 4 years now (weak-ish gas grill for years before that). I
found the group looking for info on BGE's. Just about all kinds of cooking
interest me.

Anyhow, I decided to get a BGE and while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I've
been heavy into gedanken experiments on how to best utilize its
characteristics. I've many times made steak or duck on a cast iron skillet
for searing and finished in the oven at 300o until the meat's up to temp.

As I understand it, the BGE can go up in temp pretty fast but has a hard
time going down so I figured reversing the order would be a good way to
utilize its characteristics. I figured you could build the fire up to like
250~300, let the meat sit there for a few then open the vent to bring the
temperature up to full blast (while monitoring internal meat temp, at least
the first couple times). Start even lower with some wood chips on the fire
and you'd have some good eats.

Funny that this post should come up the same time I was thinking this.

-Andy B.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..
> The. Cook's Illustrated that came today had
> an interesting article about 1.5" or thicker
> steak where you roast the steak in the oven
> at 275F until the internal temp. is 90F and then
> brown it on top of the stove. Look at:
> http://cooksillustrated.com/byissue.asp#topOfPage
> Why not try smoking the steak in your WSM or
> equivalent to 90F, and then searing it on a very hot
> grill?
> I like to grill 2.5" thick sirloin[chateaubriand in Cal.] from the
> butt end of the sirloin. This would be perfect
> for that. It would give you a nice smokey flavor usually
> lacking from grilled steak, and it would give you "char-rare",
> as the above link shows.
>
> Kent

Kent,

I haven't posted here in a while but check this group every so
often. I have a gas grill and I also have an aftermarket smoker box. I
love Hickory for burgers or in your case steak. When I want some hickory
flavor I put dry hickory chips in the little smoke box and I don't wet the
chips first because I want lots of smoke quickly. This makes for some great
hamburgers. Why not try doing both at the same time, smoking and grilling,
all on the grill?

Jeb

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Andy B." wrote

> Firstly let me introduce myself. I'm Andy and have been truly cue'in
> only for about 3 or 4 years now (weak-ish gas grill for years before
> that). I found the group looking for info on BGE's. Just about all
> kinds of cooking interest me.
>
> Anyhow, I decided to get a BGE and while I'm waiting for it to
> arrive, I've been heavy into gedanken experiments on how to best
> utilize its characteristics. I've many times made steak or duck on a
> cast iron skillet for searing and finished in the oven at 300o until
> the meat's up to temp.
> As I understand it, the BGE can go up in temp pretty fast but has a
> hard time going down so I figured reversing the order would be a good
> way to utilize its characteristics. I figured you could build the
> fire up to like 250~300, let the meat sit there for a few then open
> the vent to bring the temperature up to full blast (while monitoring
> internal meat temp, at least the first couple times). Start even
> lower with some wood chips on the fire and you'd have some good eats.
>
> Funny that this post should come up the same time I was thinking this.
>
> -Andy B.

Andy,

If you haven't found it already, go to:
http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml

It's the absolute, best source of information for your big green egg.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Andy B. wrote:

> Anyhow, I decided to get a BGE and while I'm waiting for it to
> arrive, I've been heavy into gedanken experiments on how to best
> utilize its characteristics. I've many times made steak or duck on a
> cast iron skillet for searing and finished in the oven at 300o until
> the meat's up to temp.
>
> As I understand it, the BGE can go up in temp pretty fast but has a
> hard time going down so I figured reversing the order would be a good
> way to utilize its characteristics. I figured you could build the
> fire up to like 250~300, let the meat sit there for a few then open
> the vent to bring the temperature up to full blast (while monitoring
> internal meat temp, at least the first couple times). Start even
> lower with some wood chips on the fire and you'd have some good eats.
>

> Funny that this post should come up the same time I was thinking
> this.
>
> -Andy B.

Andy- I don't know if you have this site bookmarked, it's a
great reference source for all things Egg. Good luck with your's:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/

Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 10 Apr 2007 02:05:14 GMT, "Rick F." >
wrote:

>>>Hmm.. Might have to try that.. Sounds better than the crappy
>>>"flap" meat we've been eating lately.. 'Gettin tired of that stuff.

Just smoked a T-bone until center temp reached 90 degrees,
then grilled it on the BBQ. GREAT FLAVOR, really tender.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in
:

> The. Cook's Illustrated that came today had
> an interesting article about 1.5" or thicker
> steak where you roast the steak in the oven
> at 275F until the internal temp. is 90F and then

<snip>

Alton Brown, from the food network, has a method of cooking a prime rib in
the oven in a clay pot low and slow first, then finishing it extra hot at
the end to crust the outside. I tried it and it works perfectly. The same
degree of pink goodness from the edge all the way to the middle. So I think
this is worth trying.