Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bob Bob is offline

Default Spatchcoked chicken

Last weekend I spatchcocked and BBQ'ed a couple chickens for dinner; we had
invited a couple friends. They had not heard of spathcock.

The guy remarked that they looked like road kill. His wife said I needed to
call them something else because spatchcock sounded like a disease that gays
get.

The chickens tasted great, but I thought their remarks were funny.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 3, 4:57 am, "Bob" > wrote:
> Last weekend I spatchcocked and BBQ'ed a couple chickens for dinner; we had
> invited a couple friends. They had not heard of spathcock.
>
> The guy remarked that they looked like road kill. His wife said I needed to
> call them something else because spatchcock sounded like a disease that gays
> get.
>
> The chickens tasted great, but I thought their remarks were funny.

Heh, my wife prefers alternatives to "Spatchcock" as well. Which, of
course, insures I use it.

She also doesn't appreciate:
coldcock
cockblock
stopccock
cock and bull
cock of the walk
cockade
cockamamie
cockatiel
cocked

She's just wierd that way.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall wrote:
> On Apr 3, 4:57 am, "Bob" > wrote:
>
>>Last weekend I spatchcocked and BBQ'ed a couple chickens for dinner; we had
>>invited a couple friends. They had not heard of spathcock.
>>
>>The guy remarked that they looked like road kill. His wife said I needed to
>>call them something else because spatchcock sounded like a disease that gays
>>get.
>>
>>The chickens tasted great, but I thought their remarks were funny.

> Heh, my wife prefers alternatives to "Spatchcock" as well. Which, of
> course, insures I use it.
>
> She also doesn't appreciate:
> coldcock
> cockblock
> stopccock
> cock and bull
> cock of the walk
> cockade
> cockamamie
> cockatiel
> cocked
>
> She's just wierd that way.

How does she feel about plain old cock?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob wrote:
> Last weekend I spatchcocked and BBQ'ed a couple chickens for dinner; we had
> invited a couple friends. They had not heard of spathcock.
>
> The guy remarked that they looked like road kill. His wife said I needed to
> call them something else because spatchcock sounded like a disease that gays
> get.
>
> The chickens tasted great, but I thought their remarks were funny.

Anyone have a recipe for the Mexican style spatchcocked chicken? It's
usually a bright yellow/orange from the marinade. Maybe tumeric or
saffron... You see them in all the border towns grilling on mesquite.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3 Apr 2007 06:57:43 -0700, "Tutall" > wrote:

>On Apr 3, 4:57 am, "Bob" > wrote:
>> Last weekend I spatchcocked and BBQ'ed a couple chickens for dinner; we had
>> invited a couple friends. They had not heard of spathcock.
>>
>> The guy remarked that they looked like road kill. His wife said I needed to
>> call them something else because spatchcock sounded like a disease that gays
>> get.
>>
>> The chickens tasted great, but I thought their remarks were funny.

>Heh, my wife prefers alternatives to "Spatchcock" as well. Which, of
>course, insures I use it.

An older term is 'butterflied' - if that is any help to you . . .

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> Bob wrote:
>> Last weekend I spatchcocked and BBQ'ed a couple chickens for dinner; we
>> had invited a couple friends. They had not heard of spathcock.
>>
>> The guy remarked that they looked like road kill. His wife said I needed
>> to call them something else because spatchcock sounded like a disease
>> that gays get.
>>
>> The chickens tasted great, but I thought their remarks were funny.
>>

> Anyone have a recipe for the Mexican style spatchcocked chicken? It's
> usually a bright yellow/orange from the marinade. Maybe tumeric or
> saffron... You see them in all the border towns grilling on mesquite.

Do a search for "Pollo Loco recipe"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> Bob wrote:
>> Last weekend I spatchcocked and BBQ'ed a couple chickens for dinner; we
>> had invited a couple friends. They had not heard of spathcock.
>>
>> The guy remarked that they looked like road kill. His wife said I needed
>> to call them something else because spatchcock sounded like a disease
>> that gays get.
>>
>> The chickens tasted great, but I thought their remarks were funny.
>>

> Anyone have a recipe for the Mexican style spatchcocked chicken? It's
> usually a bright yellow/orange from the marinade. Maybe tumeric or
> saffron... You see them in all the border towns grilling on mesquite.

Do a search for "Pollo Loco recipe"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 4, 3:47 am, "No Spam Please" > wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > Bob wrote:
> >> Last weekend I spatchcocked and BBQ'ed a couple chickens for dinner; we
> >> had invited a couple friends. They had not heard of spathcock.

> >> The guy remarked that they looked like road kill. His wife said I needed
> >> to call them something else because spatchcock sounded like a disease
> >> that gays get.

> >> The chickens tasted great, but I thought their remarks were funny.

> > Anyone have a recipe for the Mexican style spatchcocked chicken? It's
> > usually a bright yellow/orange from the marinade. Maybe tumeric or
> > saffron... You see them in all the border towns grilling on mesquite.

> Do a search for "Pollo Loco recipe"- Hide quoted text -

Thank you, I know what I'm having for dinner Thurs. now.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> Bob wrote:
> > Last weekend I spatchcocked and BBQ'ed a couple chickens for dinner; we

had
> > invited a couple friends. They had not heard of spathcock.
> >
> > The guy remarked that they looked like road kill. His wife said I

needed to
> > call them something else because spatchcock sounded like a disease that

gays
> > get.
> >
> > The chickens tasted great, but I thought their remarks were funny.
> >

> Anyone have a recipe for the Mexican style spatchcocked chicken? It's
> usually a bright yellow/orange from the marinade. Maybe tumeric or
> saffron... You see them in all the border towns grilling on mesquite.

It's achiote. I do all my chickens like that.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
wj wj is offline

Here's one from Rick Bayless. He's the guy who travels all over Mexico gathering recipes. I've prepared it at least ten times and it always gets rave reviews. It's the cinnamon and cloves that give it the sweet smell when your grill it over coals.

3 whole large frying chickens, backs and ribs removed to lie flat
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (I use New Mexico)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon cloves, to taste (I use 1 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste (I use 2 teaspoons)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, to taste
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1 small onion, diced
salt and pepper, to taste

Marinate the chickens for at least 3 hours in a ziplock bag. BBQ skin side down at first for about 6-7 minutes depending on the fire. Then turn them over for another 8-10 minutes or till the juices run clear. If you want more orangey color you can add some ground achiote powder (that's not in Bayless' recipe). I like it the original way myself. This recipe is from the places in Yucatan, not those along the border.

Good eating.

"No Spam Please" > wrote in message ...

> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Bob wrote:
>>> Last weekend I spatchcocked and BBQ'ed a couple chickens for dinner; we
>>> had invited a couple friends. They had not heard of spathcock.
>>>
>>> The guy remarked that they looked like road kill. His wife said I needed
>>> to call them something else because spatchcock sounded like a disease
>>> that gays get.
>>>
>>> The chickens tasted great, but I thought their remarks were funny.
>>>

>> Anyone have a recipe for the Mexican style spatchcocked chicken? It's
>> usually a bright yellow/orange from the marinade. Maybe tumeric or
>> saffron... You see them in all the border towns grilling on mesquite.

> Do a search for "Pollo Loco recipe"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jack Sloan wrote:

> It's achiote. I do all my chickens like that.

Thanks Jack, I can get that at the supermarket.