FoodBanter.com

-   -   The pitcher had water in... (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/102802-re-pitcher-had-water.html)

Dan Krueger 02-10-2006 06:20 PM

The pitcher had water in...

Lately I've heard constructions of the following form:

"The pitcher had water in...."

My intuition would be to state that as:

"The pitcher had water in it...."

Is the "it" really unnecessary?

Why is this any different from "teh pitcher had a frame on...."

Skitt 02-10-2006 08:13 PM

The pitcher had water in...

Dan Krueger wrote:

Lately I've heard constructions of the following form:

"The pitcher had water in...."

My intuition would be to state that as:

"The pitcher had water in it...."

Yours is a good intuition.

Is the "it" really unnecessary?

Yes.

Why is this any different from "teh pitcher had a frame on...."

That expression makes no sense to me (even ignoring the typo). There's an
"it" missing.

--
Skitt
Living in The Heart of the Bay

Mark Brader 04-10-2006 02:39 AM

The pitcher had water in...

"Skitt" answers a question:

Lately I've heard constructions of the following form:

"The pitcher had water in...."

My intuition would be to state that as:

"The pitcher had water in it...."

Yours is a good intuition.

Is the "it" really unnecessary?

Yes.

This seems contradictory.

If I'm saying this, I find the "it" necessary. But there are many similar
constructs where the analogous word isn't necessary ("a woman with a nice
dress on"), so I don't think it's surprising that some people would prefer
not to use it here.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I don't have a life; I have a program." --the Doctor

Skitt 04-10-2006 02:44 AM

The pitcher had water in...

Mark Brader wrote:
"Skitt" answers a question:

Lately I've heard constructions of the following form:

"The pitcher had water in...."

My intuition would be to state that as:

"The pitcher had water in it...."

Yours is a good intuition.

Is the "it" really unnecessary?

Yes.

This seems contradictory.

If I'm saying this, I find the "it" necessary. But there are many
similar constructs where the analogous word isn't necessary ("a woman
with a nice dress on"), so I don't think it's surprising that some
people would prefer not to use it here.

Omigosh -- I misread the "unnecessary" as "necessary". My apologies. I
must have experienced a senior moment. In the pitcher sentence, the "it" is
necessary.
--
Skitt
getting old