Posted to rec.food.baking

Default repost: brick-like sponge

Apologies if this comes through twice. My original post doesn't seem
to be showing up -- at least I'm not able to view it.
--Vic

I'm trying to make a sponge-based flan. The recipe I have is as
follows:

1 egg
3 tablespoons warm water
2 1/2 ounces (75g) sugar
3 1/2 ounces (100g) flour
1 packet of vanilla suga
1 teaspoon baking powder.

The instructions are pretty basic:
Whisk egg and water until frothy
Gradually add sugar and vanilla sugar
Whish until thick and creamy
Mix together flour and baking powder and seive onto whisked mixture
Fold gently together

This all goes into a moderately hot (340 degrees Fahrenheit to 390
degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 to 25 minutes.

Before the cake even came out of the pan, I could tell it wasn't
right. It was much too heavy.

The texture looks good for a sponge -- lots of small air pockets. It
came out of the pan perfectly fluted edges and all.

The taste is a bit flat: a bit too dry and a bit too hard. Almost like
day old baking.

The recipe comes from a book I usually have good luck using.

Are the proportions wrong? Is there too much flour? Is the entire
recipe off? Was my technique faulty? Or was it just a fluke and I
should try again.
--Vic

Posted to rec.food.baking

wrote on 08 Aug 2006 in rec.food.baking

> Apologies if this comes through twice. My original post doesn't seem
> to be showing up -- at least I'm not able to view it.
> --Vic
>
> I'm trying to make a sponge-based flan. The recipe I have is as
> follows:
>
> 1 egg
> 3 tablespoons warm water
> 2 1/2 ounces (75g) sugar
> 3 1/2 ounces (100g) flour
> 1 packet of vanilla suga
> 1 teaspoon baking powder.
>
> The instructions are pretty basic:
> Whisk egg and water until frothy
> Gradually add sugar and vanilla sugar
> Whish until thick and creamy
> Mix together flour and baking powder and seive onto whisked mixture
> Fold gently together
>
> This all goes into a moderately hot (340 degrees Fahrenheit to 390
> degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 to 25 minutes.
>
> Before the cake even came out of the pan, I could tell it wasn't
> right. It was much too heavy.
>
> The texture looks good for a sponge -- lots of small air pockets. It
> came out of the pan perfectly fluted edges and all.
>
> The taste is a bit flat: a bit too dry and a bit too hard. Almost like
> day old baking.
>
> The recipe comes from a book I usually have good luck using.
>
> Are the proportions wrong? Is there too much flour? Is the entire
> recipe off? Was my technique faulty? Or was it just a fluke and I
> should try again.
> --Vic

seems to me it needs oil or butter.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.baking

A good sponge flan base is to use the light genoise recipe.
It has the light sponge texture but not dry
a typical example is this :

Use
2 parts of eggs( content only) + 1 part caster sugar + 1 part self
rising flour + 1/3 part of melted butter ( all measured by weight).

Calculate the total batter weight required as based on your total
recipe and from there you can use the given ratios to arrive .
This recipe is lighter (if made properly)than the one you made so you
can try this ratio
100 grams eggs( about 4 oz)
50 grams sugar( about two oz)
50 grams Self rising flour ( about two oz)
15-20 grams melted butter( 1/2-2/3 oz))

Prepare this by beating the eggs with the sugar until thick and light
or until the whip marks are retained when pulled out from the egg foam.
Or if you dip a spatula you can form a figure 8 with the dripping egg
foam.
Sift the flour on top and fold carefully, follow with melted butter
until evenly blended.
Do not overmix.
Pour into the prepared into prepared flan tin and bake at 380 degree
until the cake is golden brown and spongy to touch.

Note: you can add vanilla sugar in this recipe if you like a packet is
enough for the given recipe.

da wrote:
> Apologies if this comes through twice. My original post doesn't seem
> to be showing up -- at least I'm not able to view it.
> --Vic
>
> I'm trying to make a sponge-based flan. The recipe I have is as
> follows:
>
> 1 egg
> 3 tablespoons warm water
> 2 1/2 ounces (75g) sugar
> 3 1/2 ounces (100g) flour
> 1 packet of vanilla suga
> 1 teaspoon baking powder.
>
> The instructions are pretty basic:
> Whisk egg and water until frothy
> Gradually add sugar and vanilla sugar
> Whish until thick and creamy
> Mix together flour and baking powder and seive onto whisked mixture
> Fold gently together
>
> This all goes into a moderately hot (340 degrees Fahrenheit to 390
> degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 to 25 minutes.
>
> Before the cake even came out of the pan, I could tell it wasn't
> right. It was much too heavy.
>
> The texture looks good for a sponge -- lots of small air pockets. It
> came out of the pan perfectly fluted edges and all.
>
> The taste is a bit flat: a bit too dry and a bit too hard. Almost like
> day old baking.
>
> The recipe comes from a book I usually have good luck using.
>
> Are the proportions wrong? Is there too much flour? Is the entire
> recipe off? Was my technique faulty? Or was it just a fluke and I
> should try again.
> --Vic

Posted to rec.food.baking

On 9 Aug 2006 19:01:10 -0700, "chembake" > wrote:

>A good sponge flan base is to use the light genoise recipe.
>It has the light sponge texture but not dry
>a typical example is this :
>
>Use
>2 parts of eggs( content only) + 1 part caster sugar + 1 part self
>rising flour + 1/3 part of melted butter ( all measured by weight).

<snip>

Thanks chembake,

Let me guess, you're based in the States, right? I had never heard of
self-rising flour until I started travelling stateside and wandering
into grocery stores. While that type of flour may be available here,
it is likely a special order product. I know that I have never seen it
on any local grocery store shelf.

I assume it is some blend of flour and baking powder, but I'm not sure
if I want to try mixing it myself.

I've got a similar recipe as the one you provided, but I wanted to try
a basic sponge, just to see if I could add one to my repetoire. I
might try the recipe again and lower the flour content or up the
amount of egg and liquids.
--Vic

Posted to rec.food.baking

Yup I am in the states...
Self rising flour is available worldwide. I am wondering what part of
the world you live....
Anyway
If you can't find any self rising flour you can make your own.
Sift together three times a teaspoon of baking powder with a cup of
plain or all purpose flour...

da wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2006 19:01:10 -0700, "chembake" > wrote:
>
> >A good sponge flan base is to use the light genoise recipe.
> >It has the light sponge texture but not dry
> >a typical example is this :
> >
> >Use
> >2 parts of eggs( content only) + 1 part caster sugar + 1 part self
> >rising flour + 1/3 part of melted butter ( all measured by weight).

> <snip>
>
> Thanks chembake,
>
> Let me guess, you're based in the States, right? I had never heard of
> self-rising flour until I started travelling stateside and wandering
> into grocery stores. While that type of flour may be available here,
> it is likely a special order product. I know that I have never seen it
> on any local grocery store shelf.
>
> I assume it is some blend of flour and baking powder, but I'm not sure
> if I want to try mixing it myself.
>
> I've got a similar recipe as the one you provided, but I wanted to try
> a basic sponge, just to see if I could add one to my repetoire. I
> might try the recipe again and lower the flour content or up the
> amount of egg and liquids.
> --Vic

Posted to rec.food.baking

On 9 Aug 2006 20:17:15 -0700, "chembake" > wrote:

wrote:

>> I've got a similar recipe as the one you provided, but I wanted to try
>> a basic sponge, just to see if I could add one to my repetoire. I
>> might try the recipe again and lower the flour content or up the
>> amount of egg and liquids.
>> --Vic

>So you're from Canada...never had any idea that they don't have
>SRF....
>BTW your recipe is a hot water sponge but the amount of eggs and water
>are quite off balance....That type of recipe you have is not likely to
>produce the light textured sponge..you desire..

Do you have any recommendations for the typical ratio of hot water and
egg? Or another basic, hot-water sponge recipe.

And yes, SRF is not to be had in these parts (southern Ontario).
Typical flours in the area (not that anybody really cares) a

Five Roses
http://www.fiveroses.ca/
Our All Purpose Flours
All Purpose White Flour
All Purpose Never Bleached
All Purpose With Wheat Bran
Our Specialty Flours
Specialty Whole Wheat
Specialty Cake and Pastry
Specialty Dark Rye
Unbleached Bread Flour
Whole Wheat Bread Flour

and

Robin Hood
http://www.robinhood.ca/product.category.asp?prodcid=9
Robin Hood All Purpose Flour
Robin Hood All Purpose Unbleached Flour
Robin Hood All Purpose Whole Wheat Flour
Robin Hood Nutri Flour Blend
Robin Hood Best For Blending Flour
Robin Hood Best For Bread Homestyle White Flour
Robin Hood Best For Bread Multigrain Blend
Robin Hood Best For Bread Whole Wheat Flour
Robin Hood Best For Cake & Pastry Flour

Actually the site below gives a pretty thorough list of available
flours, and the only one that looks like it might be self rising is a
yellow corn flour.
http://www.farinex.ca/english/category.php?category=FA
--Vic

Posted to rec.food.baking

On 10 Aug 2006 17:30:47 -0700, "chembake" > wrote:

>I have given you a recipe that should have sorted your sponge problem
>easily, ......but you choose a different approach...

>I realize that you are up to the challenge <Grin> as you don't want an
>easy way out.
>so I will not spoil your fun for both an intellectual and culinary
>adventure..

Actually that's exactly what I want.

>I would suggest that you have to "rediscover the wheel" as you are keen
>in tweaking out your recipe that already caused you problems.

No I'm not really that keen to rediscover the wheel. I was just
looking for some advice from people who know more than I do.

Yes I would love to add another style of cake to my baking bag of
tricks (as I posted), but there is more behind my reason for wanting
to learn this technique than simple pig-headedness. I hadn't planned
on dumping my life story (or a portion thereof) to usenet, but I get
the feeling I might as well...

A friend of mine wants me to give her a few baking tips. Actually she
wants me to come over and teach her a some recipes and techniques. Now
I'm so far from an expert that it's funny, but I am one of the few
people she knows who will try to make a cake without using mix.

To make the challenge that much more *fun* her husband is lactose
intolerant.

Now I know nothing about that condition, and I assume that the tiny
amount of butter in the cake wouldn't bother him, but (and here's the
kicker) she says she wants to bake without having to go out and buy
things that don't normally stock, including butter, milk, sour cream,
etc. (In case you care, they use margarine, and soy milk and other
things I don't keep in my kitchen and have no idea how to use.)

After thinking about her request, I figured I might be able to teach
her how to do a basic pie shell. That's one lesson. I gave it some
more thought, and decided that a sponge-based flan might make for
another lesson two. Of course, I know that can't teach something
unless I know how to do it myself, hence my adventure.

And no, I don't think there is a possibility I can get beyond two
lessons as every one of my standby recipes relies on butter and/or
milk.

>Don't worry
>There is a way out of your predicament . I assure you, as I am familiar
>with these sponges as well but I will not spoon fed you anymore.
>Yes indeed there are many versions of hot water sponges , and as clue,
>google " hot water sponge" and that will provide some ideas how to
>modify your recipes at your own time and initiative.

I realize there is likely to be a large assortment of recipes on the
Internet, but I was hoping to get some sort of personal recommendation
from somebody here. I really hate to waste my time and ingredients on
batch after batch of failed mixes. I also wasn't sure if I should be
expecting something different (in terms of ingredients and ratios and
texture) of a sponge for a flan than I would of a sponge for another
type of cake, and I was hoping for a bit of guidance on that front.
If, however, that is too much trouble, I'll say good-bye and thank-you
for the information you have already provided, and let the group get
back to discussing bread machine techniques.
--Vic
Posted to rec.food.baking

But lactose tolerant is no big deal......

BTW the light genoise recipe that I have given you earlier can be
modified for lactose intolerant by replacing the butter with salad
oil..

You can also use the chiffon cake base as well...it does not require
any dairy ingredient