Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Trying to make a decent cannoli

Hi all,

I am on a mission to make an outstanding cannoli (my favorite food ever) but
I need help...a decent lot actually, given my first attempt. I bought a set
of nice cannoli tubes that came with a recipe which resulted in thick
cannoli shells and watery filling. Since then, I've learned I need to drain
the ricotta cheese, and use a lot more than 1/2c sugar per pound of ricotta
cheese (confectioner's instead of granulated too) and I can even use
marscapone too. I haven't made my second attempt yet.

The crust turned out to be a disappointment even more so. The tubes were
thick and flavorless. The dough started to harden and tear as I was rolling
it, but I did eventually remember, from my pizza making experience, that I
should start from the center, roll outward, then rotate the direction 45
degrees. I set the deep fryer to 375F, but I hear 350F is better. I was
very far from making a 1/16 inch thin shell like I wanted.

In general, I'd very much appreciate any cannoli-making advice you can give
me, and definitely any recipes that have worked for you.

Thank you!

- Scott

Uh oh!! Grinder takes more coffee to make a decent cup! John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 65 31-12-2011 09:18 PM
Cannoli Dorothy Yereance Recipes (moderated) 0 02-04-2007 03:56 AM
Cannoli SERGIO General Cooking 21 18-11-2005 06:18 PM
Cannoli SERGIO General Cooking 0 08-11-2005 06:24 PM
TN: Decent Burg, not-so-decent Riesling Dale Williams Wine 0 25-05-2004 03:19 PM