Old 20-01-2006, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

Default Who are you...?

Reg wrote:

I'm constantly looking for information about packaging and
preservation. It's difficult information to find, and much of
it is geared toward large scale producers. For instance, I'm
still trying to find information on minimum useful levels of
nitrite in preserved meats. The maximum allowed levels are well
covered in regulations, but not much info about quantity vs.
efficacy, etc.

..Also, in researching MAP I haven't been able to find much
..about if/how I could make use of it. Again, it's geared
toward large producers.

Reg,
In our past meetings with food regulations where brief mentions of
meat processing was discussed
I remember that the amount of nitrite that is effective is less than
half of the legislated allowed maximum level..Using just a third of
the maximum level can confer the desired preservative effect and
enhance the right color of the pickled meat.
If you had to cut down the use of nitrate/nitrite ....don't use the
nitrate but the nitrite...itself
Sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate is reduced into nitrite by
microbial action and that is where its preservative effect lies
If you use the nitrate the recommended dosage is higher than the
nitrite....

...Besides its not only the preservative effect of nitrite that is
important but the other ions in the pickling solution. Meat
preservation is a combination of many factors...that includes aside
from ther formulations the nature of your raw materials, the
equipments, methods used ...the level of processing etc

There is some websites that discuss the details examples of cured meat
processing such as this
http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6556e/X6556E02.htm

http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6556e/X6556E04.htm

For greater details...you really need to visit the Univerisity libary
and go to the food science section and you will be 'met' with so many
reference materials in meat processing and food packaging ....When I
was browsing those books in relation to my interests in ingredients
,and emerging technologies in food processing the large scale
operations can be scaled down easily but you still need important
piece of equipment to do the processing properly.

Old 22-01-2006, 02:23 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Richard Crowley

"Bob (this one)" wrote ...
Who subscribes to rec.food.baking? Are you a
professional? Are you a guy who likes to bake
on weekends? Are you a mother who needs to
bake for a family? Hobby? Work? Hate it but
have to? Love it but not enough time?

Who are you?

55ish SWM computer programmer at Intel in PDX.
Casual lurker in r.f.b Vegetarian who doesn't do much
cooking at home since I am the only one here and I work/
volunteer long/random hours anyway.

What kinds of information are you seeking?

Lurking for ideas for simple/easy ideas for whole-
grain milling & baking. Esp. cornbread and bread
recepies with lots of cornmeal.

I love to design/build electronic/mechanical gadgets
and am thinking of making my own toaster so I can
control both temp & time. :-)

www.rcrowley.com

Old 22-01-2006, 04:14 AM posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

I love to design/build electronic/mechanical gadgets
and am thinking of making my own toaster so I can
control both temp & time. :-)

You have an electro-mechanical turn of mind?

That is talent that you have to nurture...

You will never know.....your electro mechanical bent might led you to a
new invention grin...

Therefore.....
Keeps the spark of your ingenuity alive....nobody is too old to be an
inventor...grin..

Old 30-01-2006, 02:44 PM posted to rec.food.baking

In article ,
"Bob (this one)" wrote:

Who subscribes to rec.food.baking? Are you a professional? Are you a guy
who likes to bake on weekends? Are you a mother who needs to bake for a
family? Hobby? Work? Hate it but have to? Love it but not enough time?

Who are you? What kinds of information are you seeking?

Pastorio

You doing research for an article again?
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-27-2006, The Best Dead Spread Yet
Old 30-01-2006, 02:47 PM posted to rec.food.baking

In article
,
Cindy Fuller wrote:

In article ,
"Bob (this one)" wrote:

Who are you? What kinds of information are you seeking?

I'm also the "resident nutritionist" on rec.food.cooking.

And you haven't been seen there lately, either. Dangitall.

Cindy

--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-27-2006, The Best Dead Spread Yet

Old 30-01-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Have you asked for any references at sci.bio.food-science? JAT.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-27-2006, The Best Dead Spread Yet
Old 30-01-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
Reg wrote:

I'm constantly looking for information about packaging and
preservation. It's difficult information to find, and much of
it is geared toward large scale producers. For instance, I'm
still trying to find information on minimum useful levels of
nitrite in preserved meats. The maximum allowed levels are well
covered in regulations, but not much info about quantity vs.
efficacy, etc.

Also, in researching MAP I haven't been able to find much
about if/how I could make use of it. Again, it's geared
toward large producers.

Have you asked for any references at sci.bio.food-science? JAT.

Yes Ma'am. Nice folks, but they risk being renamed
alt.nobody.here

Old 31-01-2006, 04:07 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

Who subscribes to rec.food.baking? Are you a professional? Are you a guy
who likes to bake on weekends? Are you a mother who needs to bake for a
family? Hobby? Work? Hate it but have to? Love it but not enough time?

Who are you? What kinds of information are you seeking?

Pastorio

You doing research for an article again?

LOL No. Not this time.

Just curious about the level of discourse that would be appropriate. The
conversation would be different if all were professionals, than if all
were domestic cooks. As it is, it seems to be a mixed bunch with home
cooks predominant.

For me, it just means not to get all technical and scientific if it's
not useful info for the folks.

Pastorio
Old 31-01-2006, 09:50 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Bob (this one) wrote:
Just curious about the level of discourse that would be appropriate. The
conversation would be different if all were professionals, than if all
were domestic cooks. As it is, it seems to be a mixed bunch with home
cooks predominant.

For me, it just means not to get all technical and scientific if it's
not useful info for the folks.

Pastorio

I prefer technical and scientific. I used to be a scientist although I
am now just a "boring" ole SAHM.

-L.

Old 31-01-2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Bob (this one) wrote:
LOL That's how I think of you. A boring ole SAHM...

No, seriously...

Pastorio

LOL....ok, BOB, I will try to liven up my posts a bit for ya!

Lemme seeee.......I once committed Grand Theft Auto. Oh, and I am a
freak in bed! And I like to drop acid (though I don't anymore.) And
I am part of a group called the Five Angry Beavers. Oh, and I
know a hit man. A Really. Good. Hitman.

-L.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:34 AM posted to rec.food.baking

In article ,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article
,
Cindy Fuller wrote:

In article ,
"Bob (this one)" wrote:

Who are you? What kinds of information are you seeking?

I'm also the "resident nutritionist" on rec.food.cooking.

And you haven't been seen there lately, either. Dangitall.

Busy, busy, busy. I have done some lurking, but haven't said much.
Things should calm down after mid-February, when I present a poster at
the Stroke meeting in Florida and finish a grant proposal. We have done
considerable entertaining in the last month, including the infamous
annual Vietnamese dinner. My task this week will be to concoct some
bread for our Super Bowl chili extravaganza. The following week I've
been cajoled into making a dessert for the next-door-neighbors'
daughter's high school music program auction. I'm considering making a
cobbler with some of the fruit I froze over the summer.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Old 06-02-2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.baking

In article ,
Bob (this one) wrote:
[...]
= For me, it just means not to get all technical and scientific if it's
= not useful info for the folks.

I'm just a home cook but I enjoy learning the technical/scientific
details.

= Pastorio

--
Charlie Sorsby

Edgewood, NM 87015
USA
Old 07-02-2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.baking

I'm just a home cook but I enjoy learning the technical/scientific
details.

Indeed,,, its gratifying to know whats going on at the molecular level
in cookery...
Also ....It is good to know that you are among of the few
exceptions....

Its just uinfortunate that certain chefs that are proud of their
limited knowledge( but enormous egos.....) scoffs at scientific
explanations .....

Old 08-02-2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.food.baking

chembake wrote:
I'm just a home cook but I enjoy learning the technical/scientific
details.

Indeed,,, its gratifying to know whats going on at the molecular level
in cookery...
Also ....It is good to know that you are among of the few
exceptions....

Its just uinfortunate that certain chefs that are proud of their
limited knowledge( but enormous egos.....) scoffs at scientific
explanations .....

Can you ever post anything without taking shots at other people? Is your
ego so fragile that you have to drag others down so you can be up?

Try it just once. Post something positive without vomiting on your
shoes. Without being smug and supercilious.

Pastorio