Posted to rec.food.baking
hutchndi

Default Bread proofing oven problem

Hello, I have a question for anyone that might have an electric
Jennair oven with the bread proofing option. I just checked mine with
an instant read thermometer, I had it on the standard proof setting
(which is the lower of the two) and I got a reading of 110 degrees.
With the sourdough breads I make, I like to do a bulk proof of around
75 to 80, so this is really high. Would anyone know of a way to get
this oven to have a lower proofing temp ?

thanks, hutchndi

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"hutchndi" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello, I have a question for anyone that might have an electric
> Jennair oven with the bread proofing option. I just checked mine with
> an instant read thermometer, I had it on the standard proof setting
> (which is the lower of the two) and I got a reading of 110 degrees.
> With the sourdough breads I make, I like to do a bulk proof of around
> 75 to 80, so this is really high. Would anyone know of a way to get
> this oven to have a lower proofing temp ?
>
> thanks, hutchndi

I would just put a container of boiling water in the oven with the dough and
not turn on the oven. The only reason to elevate the temperature for
fermentation is to speed the process. With sourdough, I would think that
the object would be to retard the fermentation as much as possible with
temperatures below 70F. This would allow the bacterial fermentation to have
preference over the yeast fermentation.

Posted to rec.food.baking
King's Crown

"hutchndi" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello, I have a question for anyone that might have an electric
> Jennair oven with the bread proofing option. I just checked mine with
> an instant read thermometer, I had it on the standard proof setting
> (which is the lower of the two) and I got a reading of 110 degrees.
> With the sourdough breads I make, I like to do a bulk proof of around
> 75 to 80, so this is really high. Would anyone know of a way to get
> this oven to have a lower proofing temp ?
>
> thanks, hutchndi

For proofing around the the temp you want I find just leaving the light on
in my oven proofs my dough perfectly. Drives my husband mad and I have to
leave a note on the handle, so he won't turn it off.

My new oven has a proof cycle and I was just reading the manual last night.
I was saying that the oven's temp can be adjusted. Maybe check your manual
for this option.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"King's Crown" > wrote in message
k.net...
> "hutchndi" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hello, I have a question for anyone that might have an electric
> > Jennair oven with the bread proofing option. I just checked mine with
> > an instant read thermometer, I had it on the standard proof setting
> > (which is the lower of the two) and I got a reading of 110 degrees.
> > With the sourdough breads I make, I like to do a bulk proof of around
> > 75 to 80, so this is really high. Would anyone know of a way to get
> > this oven to have a lower proofing temp ?
> >
> > thanks, hutchndi

> For proofing around the the temp you want I find just leaving the light on
> in my oven proofs my dough perfectly. Drives my husband mad and I have to
> leave a note on the handle, so he won't turn it off.
>
> My new oven has a proof cycle and I was just reading the manual last

night.
> I was saying that the oven's temp can be adjusted. Maybe check your

manual
> for this option.

Newer electronic controllers have a key sequence that put them into the
calibration mode where you can adjust the temperate +/- in increments within
a range. The problem is that this changes all the temperatures, not just
the proof setting. Also, the temperature sensor may not be very accurate
below 100F.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Kenneth

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:43:47 GMT, "Vox Humana"
> wrote:

>"hutchndi" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Hello, I have a question for anyone that might have an electric
>> Jennair oven with the bread proofing option. I just checked mine with
>> an instant read thermometer, I had it on the standard proof setting
>> (which is the lower of the two) and I got a reading of 110 degrees.
>> With the sourdough breads I make, I like to do a bulk proof of around
>> 75 to 80, so this is really high. Would anyone know of a way to get
>> this oven to have a lower proofing temp ?
>>
>> thanks, hutchndi
>>

>I would just put a container of boiling water in the oven with the dough and
>not turn on the oven. The only reason to elevate the temperature for
>fermentation is to speed the process. With sourdough, I would think that
>the object would be to retard the fermentation as much as possible with
>temperatures below 70F. This would allow the bacterial fermentation to have
>preference over the yeast fermentation.

Howdy,

The maximum growth rate of the lactobacilli is at about 90F
and for the yeasts is at about 82F, so you may have
something off in your last sentence above.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:43:47 GMT, "Vox Humana"
> > wrote:
>

> >"hutchndi" > wrote in message
> roups.com...
> >> Hello, I have a question for anyone that might have an electric
> >> Jennair oven with the bread proofing option. I just checked mine with
> >> an instant read thermometer, I had it on the standard proof setting
> >> (which is the lower of the two) and I got a reading of 110 degrees.
> >> With the sourdough breads I make, I like to do a bulk proof of around
> >> 75 to 80, so this is really high. Would anyone know of a way to get
> >> this oven to have a lower proofing temp ?
> >>
> >> thanks, hutchndi
> >>

> >I would just put a container of boiling water in the oven with the dough

and
> >not turn on the oven. The only reason to elevate the temperature for
> >fermentation is to speed the process. With sourdough, I would think that
> >the object would be to retard the fermentation as much as possible with
> >temperatures below 70F. This would allow the bacterial fermentation to

have
> >preference over the yeast fermentation.
> >

> Howdy,
>
> The maximum growth rate of the lactobacilli is at about 90F
> and for the yeasts is at about 82F, so you may have
> something off in your last sentence above.
>
> All the best,

That is probably true but the growth rate may be not be directly
proportional to the rate of temperature change. Therefore, at a reduced
temperature, the bacteria may metabolize faster than yeast at lower
temperatures. That is the conventional wisdom.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Kenneth

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:24:09 GMT, "Vox Humana"
> wrote:

>> Howdy,
>>
>> The maximum growth rate of the lactobacilli is at about 90F
>> and for the yeasts is at about 82F, so you may have
>> something off in your last sentence above.
>>
>> All the best,

>That is probably true but the growth rate may be not be directly
>proportional to the rate of temperature change. Therefore, at a reduced
>temperature, the bacteria may metabolize faster than yeast at lower
>temperatures. That is the conventional wisdom.

Hello again,

Based upon my reading of some of the good science, I would
say that the "conventional wisdom" is incorrect on this one.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:24:09 GMT, "Vox Humana"
> > wrote:
>
> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> The maximum growth rate of the lactobacilli is at about 90F
> >> and for the yeasts is at about 82F, so you may have
> >> something off in your last sentence above.
> >>
> >> All the best,

> >That is probably true but the growth rate may be not be directly
> >proportional to the rate of temperature change. Therefore, at a reduced
> >temperature, the bacteria may metabolize faster than yeast at lower
> >temperatures. That is the conventional wisdom.
> >

> Hello again,
>
> Based upon my reading of some of the good science, I would
> say that the "conventional wisdom" is incorrect on this one.
>
> All the best,

You have some links for that good science?

Posted to rec.food.baking
Kenneth

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:42:18 GMT, "Vox Humana"
> wrote:

>"Kenneth" > wrote in message
.. .

>> >That is probably true but the growth rate may be not be directly
>> >proportional to the rate of temperature change. Therefore, at a reduced
>> >temperature, the bacteria may metabolize faster than yeast at lower
>> >temperatures. That is the conventional wisdom.
>> >

>> Hello again,
>>
>> Based upon my reading of some of the good science, I would
>> say that the "conventional wisdom" is incorrect on this one.
>>
>> All the best,

>You have some links for that good science?

Hi again,

Not links, but I'd suggest that you check the citations in
"The Bread Builders" by Wing & Scott.

If you are not familiar with that book, I would recommend it
to you without reservation.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Problem: Bread not rising in the oven [email protected] Sourdough 3 07-08-2008 03:32 PM
Oven Proofing Adjustment hutchndi Sourdough 1 09-01-2006 02:52 PM
Ovens for proofing and bread baking? [email protected] Sourdough 44 01-12-2005 04:00 PM
Proofing bread at home. Fred Baking 32 03-02-2004 10:12 AM
Oven proofing method revisited. Fred Baking 0 25-01-2004 01:45 AM