FoodBanter.com

-   -   Help needed urgently! (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/77545-help-needed-urgently.html)

MoM 27-12-2005 12:37 PM

Help needed urgently!

Hi everyone; I wanted to make this recipe for Mohn Kuchen
today but I don't have any ground poppyseeds.

I DO have 2 cans of solo poppyseed filling.

If I mix the filling with the cream of wheat do you think
that would work?

TIA for your help!

The recipe is below.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Iris's Mohn Kuchen

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 10
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
~~ -DOUGH- ~~
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Butter ; I use marg
1 medium Egg
4 cups Flour ; 3-4 cups
2 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
~~ -FILLING- ~~
1 medium Egg
1/3 cup Wheatlets ; Cream of Wheat
Cereal)
2 1/2 cup Water
1 cup Poppyseeds ; ground
1 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 tablespoon Butter
~~ -TOPPING- ~~
1 cup Butter or marg
1/2 cup Sugar
2 cups Flour
2 tablespoons Milk

-= Instructions =-
DOUGH: Combine ingredients for dough. Should be very stiff.
Press into bottom of a springform pan.

FILLING: Make cereal with water and wheatlets. Pour over
remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour over base in pan.

TOPPING: Mix ingredients to a crumbly consistency and
crumble over filling in pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
Drizzle with icing if desired.

This recipe was given to me by my ex Sister In law in
Wuppertal Germany.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Helen in beautiful Fergus, Ontario Canada ~~ RVTOBFREE
www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

Katharina 27-12-2005 01:13 PM

Help needed urgently!

I googled some recipes for Mohnkuchen mit Griess in German and found one
that uses Mohnback (the German version of ready made poppyseed filling).
Yes, it would work, but I would cut way back on the sugar. The recipe I
found calls for 5 oz of cream of wheat, 1 quart of milk, 1 pound of
poppyseed filling and only about 2 Tbsp of sugar.
Katharina
. ..

MoM 27-12-2005 01:29 PM

Help needed urgently!

Thanks so much!

MoM

Vox Humana 27-12-2005 02:25 PM

Help needed urgently!

"MoM" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi everyone; I wanted to make this recipe for Mohn Kuchen
> today but I don't have any ground poppyseeds.
>
> I DO have 2 cans of solo poppyseed filling.
>
> If I mix the filling with the cream of wheat do you think
> that would work?

In a pinch, you can "grind" the poppyseeds in a blender.

MoM 28-12-2005 12:47 PM

Help needed urgently!

"MoM" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi everyone; I wanted to make this recipe for Mohn Kuchen
> today but I don't have any ground poppyseeds.
>
> I DO have 2 cans of solo poppyseed filling.
>
> If I mix the filling with the cream of wheat do you think
> that would work?
>
> TIA for your help!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I used 1 can of solo poppy
seed filling and didn't add any sugar until
I had the mixture finished then tasted it. Added about 2
tbsp.

The Mohn Kuchen turned out pretty good. Not quite as good
as my original but a good 2nd.

MoM

coley 01-01-2006 07:04 PM

Help needed urgently!