Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Advice: Pumpkin Pie texture

I always make the pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving dinner and would like
to change things up a bit. The other day I had a pumpkin pie that was
bought from a local grocery store's bakery, and the filling was dark,
like a gingery brown, and dense, almost mousse-like. I liked it *so
much* better than the light, custardy pie that I get from making it
according to the canned pumpkin recipe. The thing is, I don't know how
to achieve this denser pie filling. It didn't have an eggy taste or
texture so I can't imagine it's more eggs. Does anyone know, or have a
recipe that delivers a dense, darker, pumpkin pie?
Thanks in advance... :-)
Jen

Posted to rec.food.baking
froggy

> > I always make the pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving dinner and would like
> > to change things up a bit. The other day I had a pumpkin pie that was
> > bought from a local grocery store's bakery, and the filling was dark,
> > like a gingery brown, and dense, almost mousse-like. I liked it *so
> > much* better than the light, custardy pie that I get from making it
> > according to the canned pumpkin recipe. The thing is, I don't know how
> > to achieve this denser pie filling. It didn't have an eggy taste or
> > texture so I can't imagine it's more eggs. Does anyone know, or have a
> > recipe that delivers a dense, darker, pumpkin pie?
> > Thanks in advance... :-)
> > Jen

> Those grocery bakery pies were probably frozen pies. I used to work in
> the bakery department in a grocery store and we used Mrs. Smith's pies.
> They weren't like the ones you got off the shelf, there was no fancy
> packaging, but they were made by Mrs. Smith's. The one thing we did do
> was bake them at a lower temperature (350F) than what was indicated in
> the baking instructions. It took longer for the filling to set up but
> it kept the crust from getting too brown.

If you want a darker, richer pie filling...try frying your canned
pumpkin in a frying pan. Put the pan on a medium heat, without any
fat, and fry your pumpkin slowly to remove the water from the pumpkin.
Stir constantly so the pumpkin doesn't scorch, and remove from the heat
when the color is a rich light brown. Cool the fried pumpkin before
using it in your recipe. I think you will like the results...a deeper
color and a richer flavor with a smooth texture. . Happy baking!

Posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 07 Dec 2005 09:15:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it froggy?

>> > I always make the pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving dinner and would like
>> > to change things up a bit. The other day I had a pumpkin pie that was
>> > bought from a local grocery store's bakery, and the filling was dark,
>> > like a gingery brown, and dense, almost mousse-like. I liked it *so
>> > much* better than the light, custardy pie that I get from making it
>> > according to the canned pumpkin recipe. The thing is, I don't know how
>> > to achieve this denser pie filling. It didn't have an eggy taste or
>> > texture so I can't imagine it's more eggs. Does anyone know, or have a
>> > recipe that delivers a dense, darker, pumpkin pie?
>> > Thanks in advance... :-)
>> > Jen

>> Those grocery bakery pies were probably frozen pies. I used to work in
>> the bakery department in a grocery store and we used Mrs. Smith's pies.
>> They weren't like the ones you got off the shelf, there was no fancy
>> packaging, but they were made by Mrs. Smith's. The one thing we did do
>> was bake them at a lower temperature (350F) than what was indicated in
>> the baking instructions. It took longer for the filling to set up but
>> it kept the crust from getting too brown.

> If you want a darker, richer pie filling...try frying your canned
> pumpkin in a frying pan. Put the pan on a medium heat, without any
> fat, and fry your pumpkin slowly to remove the water from the pumpkin.
> Stir constantly so the pumpkin doesn't scorch, and remove from the heat
> when the color is a rich light brown. Cool the fried pumpkin before
> using it in your recipe. I think you will like the results...a deeper
> color and a richer flavor with a smooth texture. . Happy baking!

I sometimes use brown sugar in pumpkin pie, which gives it a deeper color
and adds to flavor and texture. You might also try using 3 eggs instead of
the two called for in the Libby recipe. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons cornstarch.
This will probably give you the texture you want.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.baking
MoM

"froggy" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> > I always make the pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving dinner
>> > and would like
>> > to change things up a bit. The other day I had a
>> > pumpkin pie that was
>> > bought from a local grocery store's bakery, and the
>> > filling was dark,
>> > like a gingery brown, and dense, almost mousse-like. I
>> > liked it *so
>> > much* better than the light, custardy pie that I get
>> > from making it
>> > according to the canned pumpkin recipe. The thing is, I
>> > don't know how
>> > to achieve this denser pie filling. It didn't have an
>> > eggy taste or
>> > texture so I can't imagine it's more eggs. Does anyone
>> > know, or have a
>> > recipe that delivers a dense, darker, pumpkin pie?
>> > Thanks in advance... :-)
>> > Jen

>> Those grocery bakery pies were probably frozen pies. I
>> used to work in
>> the bakery department in a grocery store and we used Mrs.
>> Smith's pies.
>> They weren't like the ones you got off the shelf, there
>> was no fancy
>> packaging, but they were made by Mrs. Smith's. The one
>> thing we did do
>> was bake them at a lower temperature (350F) than what
>> was indicated in
>> the baking instructions. It took longer for the filling
>> to set up but
>> it kept the crust from getting too brown.

> If you want a darker, richer pie filling...try frying your
> canned
> pumpkin in a frying pan. Put the pan on a medium heat,
> without any
> fat, and fry your pumpkin slowly to remove the water from
> the pumpkin.
> Stir constantly so the pumpkin doesn't scorch, and remove
> from the heat
> when the color is a rich light brown. Cool the fried
> pumpkin before
> using it in your recipe. I think you will like the
> results...a deeper
> color and a richer flavor with a smooth texture. . Happy
> baking!

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Browned Pumpkin

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 2
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Pies

-= Ingredients =-
1 small Pumpkin

-= Instructions =-
Bake the pumpkin till tender in the oven at 350. butter a
heavy cast iron frying pan and cook the pumpkin over medium
heat, stirring and turning so all parts dry properly. Keep
this up til it is reduced and slightly browned. I start
with 2 cups and end up with 1 1/2 cups of wonderful nutty
browned pumpkin. If recipe calls for a little more than 1
1/2 cups just start with 1/2 cup more than called for and
follow the above instructions.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

MoM