Fly4CAP

Default Problem w/ pie crust

Practice has finally produced a flavorful and flaky pie crust, but
I still have one remaining problem: the top crust tents and sets
during baking. The filling (basic apple) expands, taking the crust up
with it, but it contracts as it cools, leaving a void between the
filling and top crust and making for a difficult cut. Any suggstions
on how to prevent this?

Eric Jorgensen

On 6 Jun 2005 07:43:54 -0700
"Fly4CAP" > wrote:

> Practice has finally produced a flavorful and flaky pie crust, but
> I still have one remaining problem: the top crust tents and sets
> during baking. The filling (basic apple) expands, taking the crust up
> with it, but it contracts as it cools, leaving a void between the
> filling and top crust and making for a difficult cut. Any suggstions
> on how to prevent this?

I doubt that the filling itself expands, though it does settle.

More than likely it's a steam issue. Try venting it.
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 06 Jun 2005 08:21:18a, Eric Jorgensen wrote in rec.food.baking:

> On 6 Jun 2005 07:43:54 -0700
> "Fly4CAP" > wrote:
>
>> Practice has finally produced a flavorful and flaky pie crust, but
>> I still have one remaining problem: the top crust tents and sets
>> during baking. The filling (basic apple) expands, taking the crust up
>> with it, but it contracts as it cools, leaving a void between the
>> filling and top crust and making for a difficult cut. Any suggstions
>> on how to prevent this?

> I doubt that the filling itself expands, though it does settle.
>
> More than likely it's a steam issue. Try venting it.

Another thing that may contribute to the problem is a pastry that isn't
short enough. What is your ratio of fat to flour?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Vox Humana

"Fly4CAP" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Practice has finally produced a flavorful and flaky pie crust, but
> I still have one remaining problem: the top crust tents and sets
> during baking. The filling (basic apple) expands, taking the crust up
> with it, but it contracts as it cools, leaving a void between the
> filling and top crust and making for a difficult cut. Any suggstions
> on how to prevent this?

That is a very common occurrence. I like to mound the filling very high,
and that can result in a big void. I find that the crust sets and then the
filling shrinks.

The best way I know of to avoid the space is to pre-cook the filling. I use
a technique borrowed from Rose Beranbaum's "Pie and Pasty Bible." Take your
fruit, sugar and any salt or lemon juice and toss together. Let that sit
for 30 to 60 minutes. Place the fruit and liquids into a large skillet and
cook until the fruit is slightly tender and the liquid is reduced to a
thick syrup. Toss with your thickening agent (you won't need as much since
a lot of the water has evaporated) and spices and let cool. When the
mixture has reached room temperature, you can fill the pastry lined pie pan
and cover with the top crust. Bake as usual immediately. The fruit can be
cooked a day ahead and you can also prepare the pastry ahead and assemble
and bake the pie the day you need it. This not only eliminates the space,
but it help keep the bottom crust dry.

J@mes

You notice "pictures" of fruit pies often have "criss-cross" top crusts?
It's a functional top rather than a "look". Also, I always cook the
filling before I put it in the shell,
all (most) of the expansion is done by the time it gets up to cooked temp.

"Fly4CAP" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Practice has finally produced a flavorful and flaky pie crust, but
> I still have one remaining problem: the top crust tents and sets
> during baking. The filling (basic apple) expands, taking the crust up
> with it, but it contracts as it cools, leaving a void between the
> filling and top crust and making for a difficult cut. Any suggstions
> on how to prevent this?

Weiler

Wanna share your recipe with us ? ~Kristina

wrote:

> Practice has finally produced a flavorful and flaky pie crust, but
>I still have one remaining problem: the top crust tents and sets
>during baking. The filling (basic apple) expands, taking the crust up
>with it, but it contracts as it cools, leaving a void between the
>filling and top crust and making for a difficult cut. Any suggstions
>on how to prevent this?

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Fly4CAP wrote on 06 Jun 2005 in rec.food.baking

> Practice has finally produced a flavorful and flaky pie
> crust, but
> I still have one remaining problem: the top crust tents and sets
> during baking. The filling (basic apple) expands, taking the
> crust up with it, but it contracts as it cools, leaving a void
> between the filling and top crust and making for a difficult cut.
> Any suggstions on how to prevent this?

Pre-cook the filling. this does away with the fruit expansion problem.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 215 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban

Looks like the Sriracha problem wasn't a problem after all. ImStillMags General Cooking 1 16-07-2014 11:39 PM
Crust problem with second batch of bread D. T. Green General Cooking 27 02-06-2012 06:49 AM
soft crust problem LT Smash Sourdough 2 29-12-2004 10:07 PM
Crust problem. Anna Ault Sourdough 4 13-08-2004 07:50 PM
Crazy Crust Pizza Crust Recipes (moderated) 0 24-11-2003 07:22 PM