Eric Jorgensen

Default Vanilla Pods

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:48:49 +0200
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote:

> I just got some from my local Health Food shop. They're worth their
> weight in gold. Last time I had some I put them into the old extract
> container with a touch of vodka. My question - would gin be better?
> White wine? What do you suggest?

I've seen bourbon used, but of course that imparts it's own flavor.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:06:47 -0600, Eric Jorgensen
> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:48:49 +0200
>Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote:
>
>> I just got some from my local Health Food shop. They're worth their
>> weight in gold. Last time I had some I put them into the old extract
>> container with a touch of vodka. My question - would gin be better?
>> White wine? What do you suggest?

> I've seen bourbon used, but of course that imparts it's own flavor.

Don't have any of that in the house. I have some sherry, though.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Mary

I make my vanilla extract with very good rum! I cut the vanilla pods
length-wise, scrape a bit, and then drop them into a fifth of rum. I
also write the month and year on the label so I can gauge when to
begin another bottle -- it takes a LONG time to get really fine
vanilla extract, so I try to keep track, and always begin a new bottle
when the current bottle is about 1/4 used. My mother used very fine
vodka for her vanilla extract, and for years we had a friendly
argument about which was better. (Actually, both are excellent!)

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote in message >. ..
> I just got some from my local Health Food shop. They're worth their
> weight in gold. Last time I had some I put them into the old extract
> container with a touch of vodka. My question - would gin be better?
> White wine? What do you suggest?

Peggy

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" wrote
> I just got some from my local Health Food shop. They're worth their
> weight in gold. Last time I had some I put them into the old extract
> container with a touch of vodka. My question - would gin be better?
> White wine? What do you suggest?
>
> --
> Davida Chazan

http://homecooking.about.com/cs/atoz...la_extract.htm

x-archive:no

Gin, Vodka, or Tequila will work. I have 2 bottles going of different
kinds of Vodka. Some rotgut stuff, and some top of the line stuff.
Both are fine.

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:48:49 +0200, Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady
> wrote:

>I just got some from my local Health Food shop. They're worth their
>weight in gold. Last time I had some I put them into the old extract
>container with a touch of vodka. My question - would gin be better?
>White wine? What do you suggest?

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:23:44 -0800, "Peggy" >
wrote:

>"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" wrote
>> I just got some from my local Health Food shop. They're worth their
>> weight in gold. Last time I had some I put them into the old extract
>> container with a touch of vodka. My question - would gin be better?
>> White wine? What do you suggest?
>>
>> --
>> Davida Chazan

>http://homecooking.about.com/cs/atoz...la_extract.htm

It says to store it in a cool, dark place. With my hot summers here,
perhaps I should put it in the refrigerator?

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Peggy

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" > wrote in
message

> It says to store it in a cool, dark place. With my hot summers here,
> perhaps I should put it in the refrigerator?
>

> --
> Davida Chazan

Sounds good to me.
Peggy

Vanilla-Almond, Vanilla-Hazlenut, Nectar Christopher M.[_2_] General Cooking 0 22-07-2010 11:02 PM
making strawberry ice cream - vanilla extract of vanilla bean? [email protected] General Cooking 5 01-05-2007 02:06 PM
Tea pods Pat Tea 8 08-02-2006 02:22 AM
getting serious about pods francis muir Coffee 0 06-01-2006 01:16 PM
Chicken and Pea Pods Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-06-2005 10:08 PM