FoodBanter.com

-   -   Ciabatta texture problem (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/59380-ciabatta-texture-problem.html)

Bob Benton 19-04-2005 02:49 AM

Ciabatta texture problem

I used a new recipe to bake my first loaf of ciabatta in months. All went
seemingly well and it rose nicely in the oven but when I cut into it there
was a single, huge void running along almost the entire upper half of the
loaf. What I want, of course, is a nice, open-textured ciabatta, with
something like a third to a half of the loaf consisting of
pea-to-marble-sized voids evenly disbursed throughout. You know, like what
you buy in the store. I've had the same problem once or twice with plain
French bread as well. What causes this?

Her Subj. 19-04-2005 03:00 AM

I like my ciabatta with huge holes in it so I can embed pesto and such
in the nooks and crannies, but it sounds like your problem is a dough
that's too wet.

Mary Beth Goodman 19-04-2005 03:02 AM

In article >,
"Bob Benton" > wrote:

> I used a new recipe to bake my first loaf of ciabatta in months. All went
> seemingly well and it rose nicely in the oven but when I cut into it there
> was a single, huge void running along almost the entire upper half of the
> loaf. What I want, of course, is a nice, open-textured ciabatta, with
> something like a third to a half of the loaf consisting of
> pea-to-marble-sized voids evenly disbursed throughout. You know, like what
> you buy in the store. I've had the same problem once or twice with plain
> French bread as well. What causes this?

I was just wondering about this myself. I made pain levain the other
day and ended up with lots of regular size, desirable holes but one BIG
hole along the top where the "spine" would be if a long loaf of bread
had a spine.

I think that I've lost something I once knew about forming the loaves.
Or I'm not pressing down the dough enough when folding it so it's got
some air pocket in it.

I hope other people have ideas about this. The bread was very tasty,
but it would be hard to use for say, tuna sandwiches! :-)

--
Mary Beth
Orientation::Quilter

Mary Beth Goodman 19-04-2005 03:02 AM

Mary Beth Goodman 19-04-2005 03:04 AM

In article .com>,
"Her Subj." > wrote:

> I like my ciabatta with huge holes in it so I can embed pesto and such
> in the nooks and crannies, but it sounds like your problem is a dough
> that's too wet.

Are you saying that if the dough is too wet the air actually rises
through the dough and collects at the top of the loaf?

Mary Beth Goodman 19-04-2005 03:04 AM

Bob Benton 19-04-2005 04:12 AM

I think it was too dry, if anything. Using a KitchenAid on speed 2, I just
kept adding flour until all of the dough cleared the bowl and stuck to the
dough hook. I'm thinking of using the King Arthur recipe tomorrow when I do
Mod. II. King Arthur also says to dimple the loaf thoroughly and vigorously
before it goes into the oven. Maybe he got that fromMerlin.
oups.com...

Bob Benton 19-04-2005 04:12 AM

I think it was too dry, if anything. Using a KitchenAid on speed 2, I just
kept adding flour until all of the dough cleared the bowl and stuck to the
dough hook. I'm thinking of using the King Arthur recipe tomorrow when I do
Mod. II. King Arthur also says to dimple the loaf thoroughly and vigorously
before it goes into the oven. Maybe he got that fromMerlin.
oups.com...

[email protected] 19-04-2005 07:03 AM

I have had this exact same problem probably three times in the last
year with this formula. I've never really laid it to rest but I too am
leaning towards the 'too much water' theory... though I've long
believed it may also have to do with not forming the final loaf
correctly such that you end up with a continuous air pocket on top
which just blows up beyond control once in the hot oven...

It would be good to hear the 'real reason' from an expert though.