Gene

Default Wanted : Recipe for "fondant" - Playdough like substitute

There was a TV show on 3/31/2005 (DIY channel)
that discussed a playdough like frosting called "fondant".

If anyone has the recipe, please post it here, or email it
to me at

THANKS,
Dian

Eric Jorgensen

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:54:48 GMT
"Gene" > wrote:

> There was a TV show on 3/31/2005 (DIY channel)
> that discussed a playdough like frosting called "fondant".
>
> If anyone has the recipe, please post it here, or email it
> to me at

Why don't you go to
www.google.com and type in "fondant recipe"?

Or go to the local restaurant supply and just buy a brick of it. You can
also get it in powder form.
Vox Humana

"Gene" > wrote in message
> There was a TV show on 3/31/2005 (DIY channel)
> that discussed a playdough like frosting called "fondant".
>
> If anyone has the recipe, please post it here, or email it
> to me at

There are two types of fondant: rolled and poured. The type for covering
cakes is rolled fondant. Here is a recipe that I used and posted here some
time ago:
-----------
Classic Rolled Fondant
The Cake Bible

1 tablespoon gelatin
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup glucose
1 tablespoon glycerin
2 tablespoons white shortening (Crisco)
8 cups (2 lbs.) powdered sugar

Note - You can substitute 1/2 cup of corn syrup (Karo) for the glucose.
Reduce the water to 3 tablespoons. The results are the same with either
formula

Sprinkle gelatin over water in a 2 cup heat-proof measure and let sit for 5
minutes. Set into a small pot of simmering water and stir until dissolved.
You can also do this in the microwave by heating for a few seconds on high
power. Blend in the glucose or corn syrup. Add the shortening and stir
until melted. Remove from heat.

Place the sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Add the
gelatin mixture and stir with a lightly greased wooden spoon until blended.
Mix with lightly greased hands and knead vigorously in the bowl until most
of the sugar is incorporated. Turn out onto a smooth, lightly greased
surface such as Formica and knead until smooth and satiny. If the fondant
seems dry, add several drops of water and knead well. If it seems too
sticky, knead in more powdered sugar. The fondant will resemble a smooth,
well shaped stone. When dropped, it should spread very slightly but retain
its shape. It should be malleable like clay, soft but not sticky.

Rolled fondant may be used at once but seems to work more easily when
allowed to rest for several hours. It is important to cover the fondant to
prevent it from drying. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in an
airtight container. It will firm slightly on standing.

When ready to roll out, spray the work surface and rolling pin with nonstick
vegetable spray.

If stored fondant seems very stiff, a few seconds in the microwave before
kneading it makes it pliable.

Use nonstick vegetable spray (PAM) to grease the counter, rolling pin,
cutters, and hands.
Stores 1 month at room temperature or indefinitely frozen.

To flavor fondant, replace some of the water with clear extracts or rose
water.

To color fondant, add some paste food coloring to the finished fondant and
blend in the food processor. It will separate into little pieces, but when
it comes together to form a smooth ball the color is evenly dispersed. You
may have to let the fondant rest for a while to allow it to cool. If the
fondant is too dark, put it back into the processor with some white fondant
and process again.

You can purchase ready made fondant from cake supply stores or from
www.sugarcraft.com

Vox Humana

"Gene" > wrote in message
> [...]

If stored fondant seems very stiff, a few seconds in the microwave before
kneading it makes it pliable.

Use nonstick vegetable spray (PAM) to grease the counter, rolling pin,
cutters, and hands.
Stores 1 month at room temperature or indefinitely frozen.

To flavor fondant, replace some of the water with clear extracts or rose
water.

To color fondant, add some paste food coloring to the finished fondant and
blend in the food processor. It will separate into little pieces, but when
it comes together to form a smooth ball the color is evenly dispersed. You
may have to let the fondant rest for a while to allow it to cool. If the
fondant is too dark, put it back into the processor with some white fondant
and process again.

You can purchase ready made fondant from cake supply stores or from

Gene

THANKS, just what I needed:-)
Dian

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> [...]

> Use nonstick vegetable spray (PAM) to grease the counter, rolling pin,
> cutters, and hands.
> Stores 1 month at room temperature or indefinitely frozen.
>

> To flavor fondant, replace some of the water with clear extracts or rose
> water.
>

> To color fondant, add some paste food coloring to the finished fondant and
> blend in the food processor. It will separate into little pieces, but
> when
> it comes together to form a smooth ball the color is evenly dispersed.
> You
> may have to let the fondant rest for a while to allow it to cool. If the
> fondant is too dark, put it back into the processor with some white
> fondant
> and process again.
>

> You can purchase ready made fondant from cake supply stores or from

Spoons

Thanks I was looking for that recipe too.

Spoons

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> [...]

> Use nonstick vegetable spray (PAM) to grease the counter, rolling pin,
> cutters, and hands.
> Stores 1 month at room temperature or indefinitely frozen.
>

> To flavor fondant, replace some of the water with clear extracts or rose
> water.
>

> To color fondant, add some paste food coloring to the finished fondant and
> blend in the food processor. It will separate into little pieces, but
> when
> it comes together to form a smooth ball the color is evenly dispersed.
> You
> may have to let the fondant rest for a while to allow it to cool. If the
> fondant is too dark, put it back into the processor with some white
> fondant
> and process again.
>

> You can purchase ready made fondant from cake supply stores or from

Spoons