FoodBanter.com

-   -   Help! (removing pie from dish) (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/56186-help-removing-pie-dish.html)

Mad Dan 10-03-2005 04:48 AM

Help! (removing pie from dish)

I have to admit I'm pretty new to this (pie making) - but getting the
hang of it.

Have got the homemade dough down OK

Have got a few fillings I like OK

Can bake up a pretty good looking (and tasting) pie OK

But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
Ruined!

I use a 9 inch glass (pyrex?) dish, which I sprinkle with flour before
putting the bottom pastry in.

I let the pie cool before attempting to remove it.

I cut it while in the dish - to remove one piece at a time.

I don't have any special implement designed for this (Is there one? I
use a knife)

Anyway, can anyone give me any guidance as to what I ought to use/do?

Thanks all!

Ace 10-03-2005 07:23 AM

> I have to admit I'm pretty new to this (pie making) - but getting the
> hang of it.
>
> Have got the homemade dough down OK
>
> Have got a few fillings I like OK
>
> Can bake up a pretty good looking (and tasting) pie OK
>
> But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
> get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
> Ruined!
>
> I use a 9 inch glass (pyrex?) dish, which I sprinkle with flour before
> putting the bottom pastry in.
>
> I let the pie cool before attempting to remove it.
>
> I cut it while in the dish - to remove one piece at a time.
>
> I don't have any special implement designed for this (Is there one? I
> use a knife)
>
> Anyway, can anyone give me any guidance as to what I ought to use/do?
>
> Thanks all!

See if this product will help you --->

http://www.thekitchenstore.com/030734045381.html

Wayne Boatwright 10-03-2005 12:24 PM

On Wed 09 Mar 2005 09:48:31p, Mad Dan wrote in rec.food.baking:

> I have to admit I'm pretty new to this (pie making) - but getting the
> hang of it.
>
> Have got the homemade dough down OK
>
> Have got a few fillings I like OK
>
> Can bake up a pretty good looking (and tasting) pie OK
>
> But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
> get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
> Ruined!
>
> I use a 9 inch glass (pyrex?) dish, which I sprinkle with flour before
> putting the bottom pastry in.
>
> I let the pie cool before attempting to remove it.
>
> I cut it while in the dish - to remove one piece at a time.
>
> I don't have any special implement designed for this (Is there one? I
> use a knife)
>
> Anyway, can anyone give me any guidance as to what I ought to use/do?
>
> Thanks all!

I cut with knife and use a wedge-shaped spatula to remove the pieces.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Ginny Sher 10-03-2005 02:12 PM

On 9 Mar 2005 20:48:31 -0800, "Mad Dan" >
wrote:

>I have to admit I'm pretty new to this (pie making) - but getting the
>hang of it.
>
>Have got the homemade dough down OK
>
>Have got a few fillings I like OK
>
>Can bake up a pretty good looking (and tasting) pie OK
>
>But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
>get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
>Ruined!
>
>I use a 9 inch glass (pyrex?) dish, which I sprinkle with flour before
>putting the bottom pastry in.
>
>I let the pie cool before attempting to remove it.
>
>I cut it while in the dish - to remove one piece at a time.
>
>I don't have any special implement designed for this (Is there one? I
>use a knife)
>
>Anyway, can anyone give me any guidance as to what I ought to use/do?
>
>Thanks all!

You didn't mention whether you let the pie cool long enough. Try
waiting a little longer before you slice. I bet it still tastes good
though. :-)

Priscilla H. Ballou 10-03-2005 05:47 PM

Mad Dan wrote:

> I have to admit I'm pretty new to this (pie making) - but getting the
> hang of it.
> Have got the homemade dough down OK
> Have got a few fillings I like OK
> Can bake up a pretty good looking (and tasting) pie OK
> But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
> get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
> Ruined!
> I use a 9 inch glass (pyrex?) dish, which I sprinkle with flour before
> putting the bottom pastry in.
> I let the pie cool before attempting to remove it.
> I cut it while in the dish - to remove one piece at a time.
> I don't have any special implement designed for this (Is there one? I
> use a knife)
> Anyway, can anyone give me any guidance as to what I ought to use/do?

You're talking about removing one piece, right? You're not trying to
remove the entire pie from the pan at one time, are you?

Priscilla

Dave Bell 10-03-2005 08:28 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Ace wrote:

> > But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
> > get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
> > Ruined!
> >

> See if this product will help you --->
>
> http://www.thekitchenstore.com/030734045381.html

Well, there's ANOTHER item for the "Why didn't *I* think of that?" file...
Clever...

Dave

Mad Dan 11-03-2005 01:15 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Yes, I was talking about removing it one piece at a time (to whoever
asked that), and that gizmo that someone linked to looks just the
thing.

But, I think whoever suggested that I hadn't let it cool down enough
might have hit the nail on the head. I can't help it! It comes out of
the oven, and I go "Mmmmm! Pie!"

Thanks again everyone.

Dave Bell 11-03-2005 08:46 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Mad Dan wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who replied.
>
> Yes, I was talking about removing it one piece at a time (to whoever
> asked that), and that gizmo that someone linked to looks just the
> thing.

And the more I look at it, the more I think of attaacking a pie-shop tin
(Marie Callendar, etc.) with an abrasive wheel. 1 tin ==> 6 easy-outs!
One could even bake all 6 into the pie, I suppose.

> But, I think whoever suggested that I hadn't let it cool down enough
> might have hit the nail on the head. I can't help it! It comes out of
> the oven, and I go "Mmmmm! Pie!"

Can't be helped, I know...

Dave