Mad Dan

Default Help! (removing pie from dish)

I have to admit I'm pretty new to this (pie making) - but getting the
hang of it.

Have got the homemade dough down OK

Have got a few fillings I like OK

Can bake up a pretty good looking (and tasting) pie OK

But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
Ruined!

I use a 9 inch glass (pyrex?) dish, which I sprinkle with flour before
putting the bottom pastry in.

I let the pie cool before attempting to remove it.

I cut it while in the dish - to remove one piece at a time.

I don't have any special implement designed for this (Is there one? I
use a knife)

Anyway, can anyone give me any guidance as to what I ought to use/do?

Thanks all!

Ace

> I have to admit I'm pretty new to this (pie making) - but getting the
> hang of it.
>
> Have got the homemade dough down OK
>
> Have got a few fillings I like OK
>
> Can bake up a pretty good looking (and tasting) pie OK
>
> But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
> get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
> Ruined!
>
> I use a 9 inch glass (pyrex?) dish, which I sprinkle with flour before
> putting the bottom pastry in.
>
> I let the pie cool before attempting to remove it.
>
> I cut it while in the dish - to remove one piece at a time.
>
> I don't have any special implement designed for this (Is there one? I
> use a knife)
>
> Anyway, can anyone give me any guidance as to what I ought to use/do?
>
> Thanks all!

See if this product will help you --->

http://www.thekitchenstore.com/030734045381.html
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 09 Mar 2005 09:48:31p, Mad Dan wrote in rec.food.baking:

> I have to admit I'm pretty new to this (pie making) - but getting the
> hang of it.
>
> Have got the homemade dough down OK
>
> Have got a few fillings I like OK
>
> Can bake up a pretty good looking (and tasting) pie OK
>
> But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
> get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
> Ruined!
>
> I use a 9 inch glass (pyrex?) dish, which I sprinkle with flour before
> putting the bottom pastry in.
>
> I let the pie cool before attempting to remove it.
>
> I cut it while in the dish - to remove one piece at a time.
>
> I don't have any special implement designed for this (Is there one? I
> use a knife)
>
> Anyway, can anyone give me any guidance as to what I ought to use/do?
>
> Thanks all!

I cut with knife and use a wedge-shaped spatula to remove the pieces.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Ginny Sher

On 9 Mar 2005 20:48:31 -0800, "Mad Dan" >
wrote:

>I have to admit I'm pretty new to this (pie making) - but getting the
>hang of it.
>
>Have got the homemade dough down OK
>
>Have got a few fillings I like OK
>
>Can bake up a pretty good looking (and tasting) pie OK
>
>But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
>get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
>Ruined!
>
>I use a 9 inch glass (pyrex?) dish, which I sprinkle with flour before
>putting the bottom pastry in.
>
>I let the pie cool before attempting to remove it.
>
>I cut it while in the dish - to remove one piece at a time.
>
>I don't have any special implement designed for this (Is there one? I
>use a knife)
>
>Anyway, can anyone give me any guidance as to what I ought to use/do?
>
>Thanks all!

You didn't mention whether you let the pie cool long enough. Try
waiting a little longer before you slice. I bet it still tastes good
though. :-)

Priscilla H. Ballou

Mad Dan wrote:

> I have to admit I'm pretty new to this (pie making) - but getting the
> hang of it.
> Have got the homemade dough down OK
> Have got a few fillings I like OK
> Can bake up a pretty good looking (and tasting) pie OK
> But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
> get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
> Ruined!
> I use a 9 inch glass (pyrex?) dish, which I sprinkle with flour before
> putting the bottom pastry in.
> I let the pie cool before attempting to remove it.
> I cut it while in the dish - to remove one piece at a time.
> I don't have any special implement designed for this (Is there one? I
> use a knife)
> Anyway, can anyone give me any guidance as to what I ought to use/do?

You're talking about removing one piece, right? You're not trying to
remove the entire pie from the pan at one time, are you?

Priscilla

Dave Bell

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Ace wrote:

> > But then! At the last hurdle, this is where it all goes wrong: how to
> > get the pie out of the dish without it disintegrating? My masterpiece!
> > Ruined!
> >

> See if this product will help you --->
>
> http://www.thekitchenstore.com/030734045381.html

Well, there's ANOTHER item for the "Why didn't *I* think of that?" file...
Clever...

Dave

Mad Dan

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Yes, I was talking about removing it one piece at a time (to whoever
asked that), and that gizmo that someone linked to looks just the
thing.

But, I think whoever suggested that I hadn't let it cool down enough
might have hit the nail on the head. I can't help it! It comes out of
the oven, and I go "Mmmmm! Pie!"

Thanks again everyone.

Dave Bell

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Mad Dan wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who replied.
>
> Yes, I was talking about removing it one piece at a time (to whoever
> asked that), and that gizmo that someone linked to looks just the
> thing.

And the more I look at it, the more I think of attaacking a pie-shop tin
(Marie Callendar, etc.) with an abrasive wheel. 1 tin ==> 6 easy-outs!
One could even bake all 6 into the pie, I suppose.

> But, I think whoever suggested that I hadn't let it cool down enough
> might have hit the nail on the head. I can't help it! It comes out of
> the oven, and I go "Mmmmm! Pie!"

Can't be helped, I know...

Dave

Removing stones NT General Cooking 18 21-10-2011 05:23 PM
One-dish chicken/stuffing dish? cybercat General Cooking 18 02-12-2006 08:21 PM
Update one-dish chicken and stuffing dish cybercat General Cooking 0 02-12-2006 12:33 AM
Removing alcohol Ruiseart agus Ceit Wine 7 18-05-2004 11:11 PM
Removing alcohol Ruiseart agus Ceit Winemaking 5 17-05-2004 09:06 AM