floydm

Default Valentine's Day Chocolate Bread

Pictures of this bread can be found at:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/modules/...php?storyid=15

Pain Rapide au Chocolat

This recipe comes from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads. I
made a few adjustments to it, but those were based more on what
ingredients I had around the house than any desire to modify the
recipe.

Ingredients:

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate or 12 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
powder (or a mixture of both)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
4 eggs
2/3 cup honey
2 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup brandy, rum, orange juice, or a mixture (I did 1/4 cup OJ
and 1/4 cup Grand Marnier)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I omitted this, figuring the Grand
Marnier was flavorful enough)
2 teaspoons orange zest (I had no oranges in the house, so I
omitted this too)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave and mix together.

In another bowl, beat the eggs until they start to get frothy. Add
honey, mashed potatoes, the alcohol and/or juice, vanilla extra, and
orange zest. Stir in the chocolate-butter mixture.

In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir 2
cups of it into the wet mixture. The mixture should be a heavy batter.
If it is still fairly thin, add the rest of the flour mixture to it and
stir until everything is moistened.

Pour the batter into greased baking pans (I baked it in three small 7"
x 3" loaf pans).

Bake at 350 degrees on the middle shelf of the oven until a toothpick
inserted in the center comes out clean. In my small loaf pans it took
about 40 minutes. In a full-sized pan it will take closer to 1 hour.

That's it. It is very good, not too sweet, quite moist and rich (but
not too rich). Your sweetheart should love it.