Allan Adler

Default baking in microwave

Some time ago, I posted to this group asking for help learning how
to bake stuff in a microwave. My microwave isn't the convection kind.
I recently acquired a cookbook from the manufacturer of the microwave
and found it has recipes for breads and muffins. I just made the bread
and it came out ok. Ingredients we 3/4 cup corn meal, 3/4 cup whole
wheat flour, 3/4 cup rye flour, 3/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon
salt, 3/4 cup raisins, 1/2 cup molasses, 5/4 cup buttermilk. The cooking
time was supposed to be 16 to 20 minutes at medium power, which is power
level 5 on my microwave, under cover of plastic wrap. The fat content of
a single serving is alleged to be 0.9 grams.

When the ingredients are first mixed, it seems pretty dry. I don't know
whether that is part of the reason it works.

The recipe also calls for a small glass to be placed upright in the
center of the well greased casserole dish before the mix is added.
I used a coffee mug since I don't know if the glasses I have are
microwaveable. Also, I think glass often has metals dissolved in
it, so I don't know if that would cause arcing. I don't understand
whether the use of the glass is decorative or necessary.

The muffin recipes seem to have a much higher fat content than I want
to consume, so I'm interested in modifying the bread I just made so
that it turns out more like muffins without sacrificing its low fat
content.

There is a product called Lighter Bake, made by Sunsweet, that I think
can be used as a substitute for butter and shortening. That might be
a way to modify the muffin recipes to make them fat free.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler >