FoodBanter.com

-   -   non-alkalized cocoa in Toronto, Canada? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/52-non-alkalized-cocoa-toronto.html)

Darrell Grainger 20-10-2003 12:53 AM

non-alkalized cocoa in Toronto, Canada?

I have a recipe that requires non-alkalized cocoa. I've looked around and
cannot find a store that carries it. Does anyone know of a store in the
Greater Toronto Area (GTA) that carries natural cocoa?

I know I can use cream of tartar or lemon juice to increase the acidity
but I'd like to make the dessert according to the original recipe.

TIA,
Darrell

Don't send e-mail to

jlh 20-10-2003 02:17 AM

non-alkalized cocoa in Toronto, Canada?

Both Fry''s and Hershey's are available in most grocery stores in
Toronto.

Darrell Grainger 20-10-2003 05:49 PM

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, jlh wrote:

> Both Fry''s and Hershey's are available in most grocery stores in
> Toronto.

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, all versions of Fry's cocoa I have found are the alkalized
version (dutch processed). I have not seen any Hershey's. I've tried
Sobey's, Fortino's and all the smaller stores in my area. I'm going to try
Loblaws next.

Don't send e-mail to

Mid 22-10-2003 04:01 AM

non-alkalized cocoa in Toronto, Canada?

Zellers usually carries Hersheys cocoa. Also the only place I've seen Hersheys
low fat cocoa.

Darrell Grainger 23-10-2003 04:40 PM

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Mid wrote:

> Zellers usually carries Hersheys cocoa. Also the only place I've seen Hersheys
> low fat cocoa.

Thanks for the reply. I would have never thought to try Zellers. I almost
never go into stores like Zellers. I actually found the cocoa powder I was
looking for a specialty grocery store (Whole Food Market) down town.

> Darrell Grainger wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, jlh wrote:
> >
> > > Both Fry''s and Hershey's are available in most grocery stores in
> > > Toronto.

> > Thank you for the reply.
> >
> > Unfortunately, all versions of Fry's cocoa I have found are the alkalized
> > version (dutch processed). I have not seen any Hershey's. I've tried
> > Sobey's, Fortino's and all the smaller stores in my area. I'm going to try
> > Loblaws next.
> >
> > --
> > Send e-mail to: darrell at cs dot toronto dot edu
> > Don't send e-mail to

Don't send e-mail to