bumblebee4451

Default Lemon Bars from cake mix

Has anyone tried the lemon bars that are made from angel cake mix and
lemon pie filling? Are they much like the from scratch bars?

Eric Jorgensen

On 17 Jan 2005 16:25:49 -0800
"bumblebee4451" > wrote:

> Has anyone tried the lemon bars that are made from angel cake mix and
> lemon pie filling? Are they much like the from scratch bars?

I don't see how they could be.

Why do you need to use angel cake mix? The cookie is nothing but flour,
sugar, and butter. Sometimes just flour and sugar.

Looking at the recipes, what I typically think of as a lemon bar is a
cookie with lemon curd (pie filling to you) on top, sprinkled with powdered
sugar after baking to take care of the stickiness.

"lemon angel bars" are a box of angel food cake and a can of pie filling
mixed and baked, which frankly sounds wretched.

Vox Humana

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On 17 Jan 2005 16:25:49 -0800
> "bumblebee4451" > wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried the lemon bars that are made from angel cake mix and
> > lemon pie filling? Are they much like the from scratch bars?

> I don't see how they could be.
>
> Why do you need to use angel cake mix? The cookie is nothing but flour,
> sugar, and butter. Sometimes just flour and sugar.
>
> Looking at the recipes, what I typically think of as a lemon bar is a
> cookie with lemon curd (pie filling to you) on top, sprinkled with

powdered
> sugar after baking to take care of the stickiness.
>
> "lemon angel bars" are a box of angel food cake and a can of pie

filling
> mixed and baked, which frankly sounds wretched.

But when you use a cake mix, you are rescued from the impossible task of
measuring flour, sugar, and baking powder. God only know how they get the
foam in the angel food cake mixes!

bumblebee4451

Oh and you forgot the lemon part, need to factor that in. Just
asking.....I have made lemon bars many times from scratch but sometimes
might like a quick short cut -- I am fascinated at the combination and
too think how could it be. I am open minded and willing to try.

Dave Bell

bumblebee4451 wrote:
> Oh and you forgot the lemon part, need to factor that in. Just
> asking.....I have made lemon bars many times from scratch but sometimes
> might like a quick short cut -- I am fascinated at the combination and
> too think how could it be. I am open minded and willing to try.

You try it, and let us know... :{)

Dave

Dee Randall

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
om...
> bumblebee4451 wrote:
>> Oh and you forgot the lemon part, need to factor that in. Just
>> asking.....I have made lemon bars many times from scratch but sometimes
>> might like a quick short cut -- I am fascinated at the combination and
>> too think how could it be. I am open minded and willing to try.
>>

> You try it, and let us know... :{)

A few months ago I was hooked on a picture on the box of a Krusteax Mango
Bar (3 to a package) mix (Costco). First I made the bars - threw them out.
Then I made the box's recipe using the mix for Mango cheesecake, threw it
out. There was one recipe to try -- mango/macadamian nuts cookies -- I
decided to throw out the mix and save my macadamian nuts.

Posting this just as a simple warning -- not everything that glitters is
gold.
Dee

Ida Slapter

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:09:53 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>How about the folks
>who feel obligated to consume their sample of breaded, mechanically
>separated chicken patty while standing at the sample station,

Free food always tastes better. Too bad the product doesn't taste
the same way after we get it home and spent nine times the price of
the raw ingredients.....?

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!
Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:23:20 GMT
Ida Slapter > wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:09:53 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>
> >How about the folks
> >who feel obligated to consume their sample of breaded, mechanically
> >separated chicken patty while standing at the sample station,

> Free food always tastes better. Too bad the product doesn't taste
> the same way after we get it home and spent nine times the price of
> the raw ingredients.....?

Free is good, but stolen food tastes best!

fwiw, I don't think I've ever purchased anything based on a free sample.
Vox Humana

"Ida Slapter" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:09:53 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>
> >How about the folks
> >who feel obligated to consume their sample of breaded, mechanically
> >separated chicken patty while standing at the sample station,

> Free food always tastes better. Too bad the product doesn't taste
> the same way after we get it home and spent nine times the price of
> the raw ingredients.....?

Funny thing is that about 70% of the time, I am thankful for the free
samples as they take away any doubt about NOT buying the product. The last
time I was at Costco they were sampling organic peanut butter. I can still
taste the flat, slightly rancid flavor. As for raw ingredients, I agree. I
tend to buy the basics and make things from scratch. I seldom if ever buy
mixes. That also means that my shelves are free of clutter and I can skip
entire isles at the supermarket.

Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Ida Slapter" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:09:53 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >How about the folks
>> >who feel obligated to consume their sample of breaded, mechanically
>> >separated chicken patty while standing at the sample station,

>> Free food always tastes better. Too bad the product doesn't taste
>> the same way after we get it home and spent nine times the price of
>> the raw ingredients.....?

> Funny thing is that about 70% of the time, I am thankful for the free
> samples as they take away any doubt about NOT buying the product. The
> last
> time I was at Costco they were sampling organic peanut butter. I can
> still
> taste the flat, slightly rancid flavor. As for raw ingredients, I agree.
> tend to buy the basics and make things from scratch. I seldom if ever buy
> mixes. That also means that my shelves are free of clutter and I can skip
> entire isles at the supermarket.

Today I sampled at Costco some packaged chicken andouli sausage and secondly
packaged portabello meatballs. I agree with you, Vox, that I AM thankful for
the free samples. I like andouli sausage and I had portabello mushrooms
(freshly sauteed) this morning, so I possibly might have bought the
portabella meatballs.

For the past few sessions at the grocery store, I was looking for some
ravioli's in a clear package that I used to buy frozen in a great big sack
(5-10#) that had some spinach in them. There was nothing at my stores that
looked this way, just the kind that is in slick packaging and I KNOW from
free samples that they don't taste nearly as good as the brand I bought
5-10 years ago - perhaps though my tastes have changed, I don't know. But I
have decided that perhaps I will make some ravioli's from scratch --
Yikes -- I tried that years ago, but now that I've seen Alton Brown raise
his ironing board for putting together some strips of dough for ravioli,
perhaps I might try it again.

Me, too -- there are only a few aisles I frequent at the grocery store. I
believe, if I'm not mistaken, that these aisles I don't frequent probably
have a lot of coupon items.

I have also sampled and bought a product because the sample I tasted being
OK and I must've been pretty hungry, because I either dumped it, or someone
else ate or, and never purchased it again.
Dee

Dave Bell

Dee Randall wrote:

> For the past few sessions at the grocery store, I was looking for some
> ravioli's in a clear package that I used to buy frozen in a great big sack
> (5-10#) that had some spinach in them.

> Dee

I remember buying ravioli at the local Italian deli, frozen, packed in
flat, plain white boxes, well dusted with flour inside. Very fresh, and
far better than anything on the commercial market today...

Dave
Dee Randall

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
m...
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> For the past few sessions at the grocery store, I was looking for some
>> ravioli's in a clear package that I used to buy frozen in a great big
>> sack (5-10#) that had some spinach in them.

>> Dee

> I remember buying ravioli at the local Italian deli, frozen, packed in
> flat, plain white boxes, well dusted with flour inside. Very fresh, and
> far better than anything on the commercial market today...
>
> Dave

Dave, I think these items in the frozen state in box and big clear packages
must have vanished from this world, as so many other things have, good and
bad.
Dee

Dave Bell

Dee Randall wrote:

>>I remember buying ravioli at the local Italian deli, frozen, packed in
>>flat, plain white boxes, well dusted with flour inside. Very fresh, and
>>far better than anything on the commercial market today...
>>
>>Dave

> Dave, I think these items in the frozen state in box and big clear packages
> must have vanished from this world, as so many other things have, good and
> bad.
> Dee

Sadly true... Which, I suppose, is what this group is all about!

Dave
Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> .
>>
>> For the past few sessions at the grocery store, I was looking for some
>> ravioli's in a clear package that I used to buy frozen in a great big
>> sack
>> (5-10#) that had some spinach in them. There was nothing at my stores

> that
>> looked this way, just the kind that is in slick packaging and I KNOW from
>> free samples that they don't taste nearly as good as the brand I bought
>> 5-10 years ago - perhaps though my tastes have changed, I don't know.
>> But

>> have decided that perhaps I will make some ravioli's from scratch --
>> Yikes -- I tried that years ago, but now that I've seen Alton Brown raise
>> his ironing board for putting together some strips of dough for ravioli,
>> perhaps I might try it again.
>>

> I bought a ravioli making machine years ago at a deep discount, but for
> the
> life of me, I have never been able to make it work right. I have dreams
> about making a mountain of ravioli and freezing them. Oh well, maybe
> someday I will learn the secret.

Ah, ha, I just see this on amazon, a KitchenAid attachment, KitchenAid KRAV
Ravioli Maker Attachment which might be the one you are speaking of? It,
too, alone, is $99.99. I'm wondering if the KitchenAid ravioli making
machine is the one you bought. This looks like a secret that one learns
when one asks the question at the Pearly Gates.
Dee

Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> .
>>
>> For the past few sessions at the grocery store, I was looking for some
>> ravioli's in a clear package that I used to buy frozen in a great big
>> sack
>> (5-10#) that had some spinach in them. There was nothing at my stores

> that
>> looked this way, just the kind that is in slick packaging and I KNOW from
>> free samples that they don't taste nearly as good as the brand I bought
>> 5-10 years ago - perhaps though my tastes have changed, I don't know.
>> But

>> have decided that perhaps I will make some ravioli's from scratch --
>> Yikes -- I tried that years ago, but now that I've seen Alton Brown raise
>> his ironing board for putting together some strips of dough for ravioli,
>> perhaps I might try it again.
>>

> I bought a ravioli making machine years ago at a deep discount, but for
> the
> life of me, I have never been able to make it work right. I have dreams
> about making a mountain of ravioli and freezing them. Oh well, maybe
> someday I will learn the secret.

Curious if you, Vox, or anyone else have/has used wonton rappers as the
dough for ravioli. I've seen this in quite a few cookbooks, but I've never
tried them.
Thanks,
Dee

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> Ah, ha, I just see this on amazon, a KitchenAid attachment, KitchenAid

KRAV
> Ravioli Maker Attachment which might be the one you are speaking of? It,
> too, alone, is $99.99. I'm wondering if the KitchenAid ravioli making
> machine is the one you bought. This looks like a secret that one learns
> when one asks the question at the Pearly Gates.
> Dee

No, the one I have is similar but is made by Simac. Strangely, the
KitchenAid model just uses the mixer as a support. It is not driven by the
machine, but simply attaches to the mixer's power port. You have to hand
crank it. There are a number of these machines all of similar design. It
seems anyone who makes a pasta roller also makes a ravioli machine. As I
said, I can't get mine to work. I put in the ingredients and out comes a
ness.

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> > .
> >>

> Curious if you, Vox, or anyone else have/has used wonton rappers as the
> dough for ravioli. I've seen this in quite a few cookbooks, but I've

never
> tried them.
> Thanks,
> Dee

I haven't but they are cheap, so it would be an interesting experiment. You
could alway deep fry them.

RsH

Been there and done that. Here in T.O. we can get almost any size and
shape of wrapper in the oriental food section or the dairy section of
the supermarket. We can get square or round wonton, spring roll, egg
roll, etc. wrappers. They differ in size and in thickness, depending
on what they are made for. Using the wrappers for making ravioli is
the same as using them for making wonton when it comes to closure,
since the basics never change. And they taste just fine since all
they are is noodle... Change the filling from a Chinese mixture to an
Italian mixture, and instead of putting on a 1/2 teaspoon and folding
into a triangle and sealing, put on a teaspoon and place one on top of
the other and seal the two squares together. Ravioli instead of
Wonton! With 50 or 100 sheets in a package, it certainly is fast to
use them and do this...

FWIW

RsH

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:45:44 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

>Curious if you, Vox, or anyone else have/has used wonton rappers as the
>dough for ravioli. I've seen this in quite a few cookbooks, but I've never
>tried them.
>Thanks,
>Dee

R.S. (Bob) Heuman - Toronto, ON, Canada
Independent Computer Security Consulting
Web Site Auditing for Compliance with Standards
> or >
Copyright retained.
My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!

Lemon bars Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 3 22-07-2008 08:26 PM
lemon bars neris Mexican Cooking 0 21-12-2006 05:25 AM
Lemon Bars 2 Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-04-2004 07:10 PM