JMF

Default Rolling up jelly roll sheets?

I'm about to make my first jelly roll sheet -- basically, the Christmas Yule
Log.

I get the feeling that it can be pretty tricky to get it rolled up without
cracking and falling apart, so I wanted to prepare as well as I could by
asking for tips from experience.

I've read about various ways to help things along, like putting a damp cloth
over the sheet to keep it moist as soon as it comes out of the oven, etc.

Anybody have some experience here to contribute?

Thanks,

John

Vox Humana

"JMF" > wrote in message
> I'm about to make my first jelly roll sheet -- basically, the Christmas

Yule
> Log.
>
> I get the feeling that it can be pretty tricky to get it rolled up without
> cracking and falling apart, so I wanted to prepare as well as I could by
> asking for tips from experience.
>
> I've read about various ways to help things along, like putting a damp

cloth
> over the sheet to keep it moist as soon as it comes out of the oven, etc.
>
> Anybody have some experience here to contribute?

Don't sweat it. You are going to frost it if you are making a Yule Log. If
it cracks, no one will know.

Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:40:23 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "JMF" > wrote in message
> > I'm about to make my first jelly roll sheet -- basically, the Christmas

> Yule
> > Log.
> >
> > I get the feeling that it can be pretty tricky to get it rolled up
> > without cracking and falling apart, so I wanted to prepare as well as I
> > could by asking for tips from experience.
> >
> > I've read about various ways to help things along, like putting a damp

> cloth
> > over the sheet to keep it moist as soon as it comes out of the oven,
> > etc.
> >
> > Anybody have some experience here to contribute?

> Don't sweat it. You are going to frost it if you are making a Yule Log.
> If it cracks, no one will know.

Yup. Put the crack on the bottom.

You could try and get fancy by using a pasty cloth or flexible cutting
board (e.g. that tupperware thing with circles on it) to support the cake
as you lift it to roll it, but you'd probably fumble it and make it worse.
At least I probably would.
jacqui{JB}

"JMF" > wrote in message

> I'm about to make my first jelly roll sheet --
> basically, the Christmas Yule Log.
>
> I get the feeling that it can be pretty tricky
> to get it rolled up without cracking and falling
> apart, so I wanted to prepare as well as I could
> by asking for tips from experience.
>
> I've read about various ways to help things along,
> like putting a damp cloth over the sheet to keep it
> moist as soon as it comes out of the oven, etc.
>
> Anybody have some experience here to contribute?

It's not as difficult as you may fear. Be sure you don't overbake
your cake; when it comes out of the oven, turn it immediately out onto
a clean tea towel (cotton or linen, not terry cloth) which has been
liberally sprinkled with powdered sugar or cocoa powder (powdered
sugar for white or yellow cake, cocoa powder for chocolate -- don't
use your best white tea towels for this, as the cocoa can stain), and
use the towel to roll up the cake, leaving the towel *inside* the
roll. Cool completely. When you're ready to fill and
frost/ice/decorate, gently unroll the cake, fill and re-roll, this
time leaving the towel out. Rolling the cake when it's warm helps
"set" the shape for easier rolling when it's filled.

The above is the procedure I follow, and I have yet to have a cake
crack or tear.
-j

limey

"jacqui{JB}" wrote in message >
> It's not as difficult as you may fear. Be sure you don't overbake
> your cake; when it comes out of the oven, turn it immediately out onto
> a clean tea towel (cotton or linen, not terry cloth) which has been
> liberally sprinkled with powdered sugar or cocoa powder (powdered
> sugar for white or yellow cake, cocoa powder for chocolate -- don't
> use your best white tea towels for this, as the cocoa can stain), and
> use the towel to roll up the cake, leaving the towel *inside* the
> roll. Cool completely. When you're ready to fill and
> frost/ice/decorate, gently unroll the cake, fill and re-roll, this
> time leaving the towel out. Rolling the cake when it's warm helps
> "set" the shape for easier rolling when it's filled.
>
> The above is the procedure I follow, and I have yet to have a cake
> crack or tear.
> -j

I agree. This is the method I have used for more years than I care to say.
;-)

Dora

qahtan

Me too, I make swiss/jelly roll with genoise,
The trick is NOT to overbake, and work quickly once it's out of the oven.
qahtan

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in message
> "JMF" > wrote in message
>
>> I'm about to make my first jelly roll sheet --
>> basically, the Christmas Yule Log.
>>
>> I get the feeling that it can be pretty tricky
>> to get it rolled up without cracking and falling
>> apart, so I wanted to prepare as well as I could
>> by asking for tips from experience.
>>
>> I've read about various ways to help things along,
>> like putting a damp cloth over the sheet to keep it
>> moist as soon as it comes out of the oven, etc.
>>
>> Anybody have some experience here to contribute?

> It's not as difficult as you may fear. Be sure you don't overbake
> your cake; when it comes out of the oven, turn it immediately out onto
> a clean tea towel (cotton or linen, not terry cloth) which has been
> liberally sprinkled with powdered sugar or cocoa powder (powdered
> sugar for white or yellow cake, cocoa powder for chocolate -- don't
> use your best white tea towels for this, as the cocoa can stain), and
> use the towel to roll up the cake, leaving the towel *inside* the
> roll. Cool completely. When you're ready to fill and
> frost/ice/decorate, gently unroll the cake, fill and re-roll, this
> time leaving the towel out. Rolling the cake when it's warm helps
> "set" the shape for easier rolling when it's filled.
>
> The above is the procedure I follow, and I have yet to have a cake
> crack or tear.
> -j

Roy

In making roulades& jelly rols , it require that the cake batter
should be baked properly.That is the batter is spread evenly and baked
at temperature in the range of 220-230 deg C and just enough that when
you touch with finger it wil bounce back.
The baking time may range from 10-15 minutes.
If you baked longer or the baking temparature is lower you wil dry up
the cake making it brittle to further manipulation.
It also helps if your recipe has higher amount of eggs as the egg
proteins tend to strenghten the cake texture making it resilient and
tolerant to rough handling during the rollihg process.
It is then immeidiately removed from the oven and preferably turned on
a sugared or even floured towel or parchement and rolled loosely. This
applies for normal sponge rolls .
For chiffon cake type recipes it has more tolerance,( its more easier
to r oll than the typical sponge cakes rolls),
You can rolll it immediately, but even if you let it cool down
before you fill and roll it will come out satisfactorily .
..The same also with some genoise type of sponge. The presence of fat in
the recipe makes the rolls flexible and cracking is minimized.
Roy

conrad

I'm glad I joined this group today as my next (wife-directed) project
is a chocolate yule log.

Any tips on filling - white - and coating, ie icing sugar mixed with
cocoa (frosting) or melted chocolate?

MOMPEAGRAM

Check out these videos. They may help or there may be other videos that
will help.

http://pbs-juliachild.virage.com/cgi...viKeyword=ROLL

oups.com...