The Old Bear

Default ginger as a dough conditioner?

I recently acquired a copy of "Favorite Breads from Rose Lane Farm"
written by Ada Lou Roberts back in 1960. The first thing I noticed
is that she adds a quarter-teaspoon of ground ginger to virtually
all of her yeast bread recipes.

She writes, "I learned about the use of ginger in one of my very
old cook books. The idea appealed to me, I tried it, ther results
were perfect and I have used it ever since."

This prompted me to do a quick online search for information on
ginger and yeast. I came up with this very interesting web page
which describes a do-it-yourself bread enhancer and dough relaxer:
http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipeb...adbuilder.html

I have not tried this yet. However, I am curious whether the use
of ground ginger is an "old wives' tale" or based upon some well
understood process.

Has anyone heard of this use of ginger? Is anyone using ginger
for this purpose? If it works, why does it work?

Cheers,
The Old Bear

Reg

The Old Bear wrote:

> Has anyone heard of this use of ginger? Is anyone using ginger
> for this purpose? If it works, why does it work?

I read in "Cookwise" that a small amount of ginger enhances yeast activity.
I tried it with/without and it didn't make enough of a difference to matter.

Roy Basan

(The Old Bear) wrote in message >...
> I recently acquired a copy of "Favorite Breads from Rose Lane Farm"
> written by Ada Lou Roberts back in 1960. The first thing I noticed
> is that she adds a quarter-teaspoon of ground ginger to virtually
> all of her yeast bread recipes.
>
> She writes, "I learned about the use of ginger in one of my very
> old cook books. The idea appealed to me, I tried it, ther results
> were perfect and I have used it ever since."
>
> This prompted me to do a quick online search for information on
> ginger and yeast. I came up with this very interesting web page
> which describes a do-it-yourself bread enhancer and dough relaxer:

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipeb...adbuilder.html

> I have not tried this yet. However, I am curious whether the use
> of ground ginger is an "old wives' tale" or based upon some well
> understood process.

> Has anyone heard of this use of ginger? Is anyone using ginger
> for this purpose? If it works, why does it work?
>
> Cheers,
> The Old Bear

Well...
If we have to look at this from the point of chemistry....
What are the active components of ginger root ?
According to a Merory,J. in ,Food Flavorings: its Composition ,
Manufacture and Use 2nd ed Avi publishing N.Y.
Aside from the fibrous matter in the rhizome, the pungent component
the Gingerol which is yellowish oily substance possessing phenolic
properties.
But phenols does not have bread enhancing properties. I cannot find
any functional effect of the benzene ring( present in phenols) in
dough making.
Further if we further separate the gingerol into its components it is
composed of volatile oils such as
zingiberene,phellandrene,d-
camphene,methoxylheptenone,indecylaldehyde,nonyl
aldehyde,borneol,cineole,linalool, citral,zingeberol.
Now these essential oils does not have bread improving properties.
I presume that this alicyclic and phenolic components may restrict the
growth of interferring organisms aside from yeast......but if we have
to look further that these stray organisms such as bacteria are
beneficial for the formation of other flavour related components in
baking.
Therefore the presence of antiseptic substance ( phenols)is a self
defeating purpose and I am not aware of any evidence that it
enhances yeast fermentation nor interact iwth the dough structural
components..
Maybe I miss it, or somebody can put forward and interesting evidence
of such...

Now if we consider about the fiber component its just mostly
cellulose.Maybe it can add a tad of fiber<g>?
Ginger if used in bakery product to give some pungency in taste,
nothing else..
Roy

Question about wine conditioner Quixote Winemaking 2 17-04-2007 08:51 PM
Wine conditioner Walter Venables Winemaking 5 20-06-2006 06:54 PM
Lemon or white vinegar as a dough conditioner Dee Randall Baking 11 20-01-2004 09:20 PM
Wine Conditioner glad heart Winemaking 3 05-11-2003 11:19 PM
Sweetener & Conditioner Dar V Winemaking 0 01-10-2003 01:14 PM