Food Prospector

Default The color of butter

Regan Daley in 'In the sweet kitchen' says the color of butter changes
seasonally because the cow's diet changes (e.g., fresh grass, dried feed).
She says that dairies color butter so that it remains the same color all
year around.

--
Food Prospector, Merritt Island, FL

alzelt

Food Prospector wrote:
> Regan Daley in 'In the sweet kitchen' says the color of butter changes
> seasonally because the cow's diet changes (e.g., fresh grass, dried feed).
> She says that dairies color butter so that it remains the same color all
> year around.

Some companies add anatto to the butter for coloring. Others never do.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

GMAJaskol

as a child we chyrned our own butter or used a mason jar for small batchs
real butter is white or a very pale yellow.
seasons and diet didnt make any diff
Snowfeet1

A lot of butter has annotto food coloring - read label - real butter should
only be cream or cream and salt.

Color of Mold Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 28 05-11-2014 08:33 PM
Olive Oil: Color Andy General Cooking 17 30-11-2006 11:15 AM
anybody else love the color of pu? Barky Bark Tea 1 27-02-2006 09:08 AM
Color Blindness Sheldon General Cooking 4 15-09-2005 03:11 AM