Barbie

Default Laugen Roll

I like laugen roll very much. But it's hard to find the recipe in
books or on the net. Is there anyone an expertise in making laugen
roll? I even don't know what kind of salt on the top of laugen and
don't know whether I can buy in Hong Kong.

And when I search for laugen roll, it always comes up with pretzels. I
found that both taste similiar but any relationship between these two
kind of bread? Or just their different shape?
Margaret Suran

Barbie wrote:
> I like laugen roll very much. But it's hard to find the recipe in
> books or on the net. Is there anyone an expertise in making laugen
> roll? I even don't know what kind of salt on the top of laugen and
> don't know whether I can buy in Hong Kong.
>
> And when I search for laugen roll, it always comes up with pretzels. I
> found that both taste similiar but any relationship between these two
> kind of bread? Or just their different shape?

Here is something from the German Corner On Line Cook Book

Laugenwecken

Submitted By: Mona - On: Nov-19-00 07:32 PM

Ingredients
1 lb flour
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 oz. fresh yeast (or 1 1/2 packs dried active yeast each 1/4 oz.)

1 tblsp and 1 tsp salt
1/2 stick soft unsalted butter
Directions

Disolve the yeast in the warm water and together with the
remaining ingrediences knead into an elastic, smooth dough, about 10
minutes. The dough is right when you take a small piece of the dough
and can stretch it paper thin without it tearing.

Cover the dough and let rest in a warm draft free spot for 15
minutes.

Divide the dough into 15 pieces. Form each of the dough pieces
into round balls with your hands.

Set the dough pieces onto two baking sheets lined with parchment
paper. Cover the dough. Let rise in a warm, draft free spot until at
least double in size.

10 minutes or so before the dough is done rising pour 2 quarts
water into a non-aluminium pot. Bring to a boil and add 2 tablespoons
soda into the boiling water. Stir.

Using a very wide slotted spoon place one piece of dough onto the
spoon and dip each for 10 seconds into the boiling lye.

Place the dipped dough pieces onto paper towels to drain excess
liquid.

After having dipped and drained all the dough place them onto the
baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Cut a cross into the surface
of each piece of dough using a pair of scissors.

Sprinkle the dough with coarse (not fine) salt.

Bake in a preheated oven at 450ºF vor 15 - 20 minutes.

Margaret Suran

Barbie wrote:
> I like laugen roll very much. But it's hard to find the recipe in
> books or on the net. Is there anyone an expertise in making laugen
> roll? I even don't know what kind of salt on the top of laugen and
> don't know whether I can buy in Hong Kong.
>
> And when I search for laugen roll, it always comes up with pretzels. I
> found that both taste similiar but any relationship between these two
> kind of bread? Or just their different shape?

Here is something from the German Corner On Line Cook Book

Laugenwecken

Submitted By: Mona - On: Nov-19-00 07:32 PM

Ingredients
1 lb flour
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 oz. fresh yeast (or 1 1/2 packs dried active yeast each 1/4 oz.)

1 tblsp and 1 tsp salt
1/2 stick soft unsalted butter
Directions

Disolve the yeast in the warm water and together with the
remaining ingrediences knead into an elastic, smooth dough, about 10
minutes. The dough is right when you take a small piece of the dough
and can stretch it paper thin without it tearing.

Cover the dough and let rest in a warm draft free spot for 15
minutes.

Divide the dough into 15 pieces. Form each of the dough pieces
into round balls with your hands.

Set the dough pieces onto two baking sheets lined with parchment
paper. Cover the dough. Let rise in a warm, draft free spot until at
least double in size.

10 minutes or so before the dough is done rising pour 2 quarts
water into a non-aluminium pot. Bring to a boil and add 2 tablespoons
soda into the boiling water. Stir.

Using a very wide slotted spoon place one piece of dough onto the
spoon and dip each for 10 seconds into the boiling lye.

Place the dipped dough pieces onto paper towels to drain excess
liquid.

After having dipped and drained all the dough place them onto the
baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Cut a cross into the surface
of each piece of dough using a pair of scissors.

Sprinkle the dough with coarse (not fine) salt.

Bake in a preheated oven at 450ºF vor 15 - 20 minutes.

Material for making spring roll summer roll Rice paper chanh khang General Cooking 1 17-11-2005 03:54 PM
Banh Trang Vietnam for making spring roll / summer roll Rice paper chanh khang Asian Cooking 0 17-11-2005 03:35 PM
On a Roll ~patches~ General Cooking 9 13-09-2005 04:11 PM
nut roll [email protected] Baking 0 15-11-2003 10:45 PM