Diane W. Saunders

Default Chocolate cake splitting when cooling

For the past two days I have been baking chocolate cakes and after
baking and removing from pan (after cooling) they are splitting on the
bottom - not just small cracks but very large crevices -- any idea as
to why this is happening?? Again, any and all responses greatly
appreciated.
jacqui{JB}

"Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
m...

> For the past two days I have been baking chocolate
> cakes and after baking and removing from pan (after
> cooling) they are splitting on the bottom - not just
> small cracks but very large crevices -- any idea as
> to why this is happening?? Again, any and all responses
> greatly appreciated.

Splitting on the *bottom*? Are the cakes sitting on their tops? It's
not unusual, if you're doing cake decorating, to turn the cake
upside-down so as to have a best flat surface to work upon. However,
you need to trim the top of the cake level -- use a serrated or very
sharp long knife to level the domed or rounded surface -- before you
leave the cake on its top for any length of time otherwise, as you've
seen, the bottom may split.

Or not, if you're not leaving the cakes on their untrimmed tops.
-j

Diane W. Saunders

(Roy Basan) wrote in message . com>...

(Diane W. Saunders) wrote in message om>...
> > For the past two days I have been baking chocolate cakes and after
> > baking and removing from pan (after cooling) they are splitting on the
> > bottom - not just small cracks but very large crevices -- any idea as
> > to why this is happening?? Again, any and all responses greatly
> > appreciated.

> First it has something to do with your formula balance and that will
> be aggravated later by other factors when preparing your cake i.e such
> as mixing, baking conditions, pan size to batter weight ratio.
> Another factor is excessive tapping of pans during depanning can
> contribute to formation of fissures. Chocolate cakes due to the
> presence of cocoa or chocolate solides are weaker if compared to
> related cakes made with 100% flour.
> A slight crack will be enlarged as the cake cools further.
>
> If you would mind you can show the recipe and the details how you
> made it so that the group could provide more ideas about the real
> cause of your cake fault.

Okay -- here goes --
3 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, 2 teas baking soda, 1/2
teas. salt, 2 cups water, 1/2 cup plus 2 tables. vegtable oil, 2 teas
vanilla.

Preheat oven to 350 - spray 2 9 inch cake pans - in large bowl
combine flour, sugar, cocoa, bakikng soda and salt - set aside.
In small bowl combine water, vegetable oil and vanilla. Add contents
of small bowl to large mixing bowl stirring with spoon to combin.

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes --

That's it -- thank you again.
Diane W. Saunders

(Roy Basan) wrote in message . com>...

(Diane W. Saunders) wrote in message m>...

> > Okay -- here goes --
> > 3 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, 2 teas baking soda, 1/2
> > teas. salt, 2 cups water, 1/2 cup plus 2 tables. vegtable oil, 2 teas
> > vanilla.
> >
> > Preheat oven to 350 - spray 2 9 inch cake pans - in large bowl
> > combine flour, sugar, cocoa, bakikng soda and salt - set aside.
> > In small bowl combine water, vegetable oil and vanilla. Add contents
> > of small bowl to large mixing bowl stirring with spoon to combin.
> >
> > Bake for 25 - 30 minutes --
> >
> > That's it -- thank you again.

> IMO this is not a balanced recipe.
> A poor water in oil emulsion due to lack of eggs.
> Which result in tight cake which is prone to cracking when baked.
> It is a weak cake as it eggless .The oil content is within the
> minimum range( 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon) as you are using vegetable oil
> which if converted to solid shortening is nearly equivalent to a cup
> in shortening value.
> Initial solution is:
> If you just add 3 eggs in it, I think it will improve its structural
> strength.
> But you may have to reduce the water by 1/2 to 2/3 cup if you add
> the eggs to compensate of the liquid content of eggs.
>
> Roy

Again, as a group and individually you are all amazing and I thank you
very much. I shall add the eggs, Roy -- and reduce the water. Diane
Kim Grauballe

Sorry for comming in a bit late, but here is a cake that's been a constant
favourite for kindergarten, school etc. over many years. Bake a large
amount, otherwise the family won't get a chance to taste it. If you double
the portion, figure about treble the glaze.

175 g butter or margarine ( pricewise usually margarine )
100 ml water
3 Tbs cocoa powder
250 g sugar
250 g wheat flour ( usually bread flour )
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla sugar
100 ml creme fraiche or similar sour milk product
2 eggs

Chocholate Glaze
75 g butter ( here butter is best )
3 Tbs cocoa powder
1 Tbs milk
300 ml glazing sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
50 g chopped hazelnuts ( optional )

Put fat water and cocoa in a pot on the stove, melt and let simmer for about
5 min. Let cool. ( See below ).

Mix in the sugar. Mix flour with salt, baking powder and vanilla sugar, and
add together with creme fraiche and eggs. Mix until smooth. ( I do the
entire process in a mixer, and use the sugar, creme fraiche and, if cool
enough, eggs to cool the original mixture )

Pour the batter into a greased baking form ( 24 by 24 cm ). If you intend
the cake for school etc. use throw away alluminum forms, preferrably those
that comes with a cardboard lid.

Bake in preheated oven at 200C in the middle of the oven for about 40 min.
( Usual test with knitting pin, tooth pick or whatever to see if batter
sticks ).

Put butter cocoa and milk for the glaze in a pot on the stove, melt and let
cook for a few seconds. Remove from heat and mix in glazing sugar and
vanilla sugar. Mix until smooth and creamy. ( This is according to original
recipe, but in practice impossible. You need to add additional milk slowly
in very small amounts, to achieve the desired smoothness ). If necessary,
place in fridge for a short time.

Spread the glaze over the freshly baked, but cooled cake ( stil in the form
or tin ), and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts ( if desired ).

Not exactly healthy, but eminently enjoyable. Remember the above strictures
as to amount, if you want to taste it yourself.

Kim

Cake Cooling Goomba[_2_] General Cooking 31 01-04-2010 02:55 AM
Splitting Brian Sourdough 2 05-07-2007 08:18 PM
"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 06-12-2004 03:11 AM
chocolate cake with melt chocolate inside michelle Baking 10 23-10-2004 06:34 AM
Chocolate Heart Layer Cake with Chocolate Cinnamon Mousse Duckie ® Recipes 0 01-05-2004 11:25 PM