Ellie C

Roy Basan wrote:

> Ellie C > wrote in message >.. .
>
>>I've been trying some favorite baking recipes from my American cookbooks
>>but I'm now living in France and they don't come out right. Cakes come
>>out a bit heavy and leaden. I know that French flour is different from
>>American flour, and I wonder if there's some way to figure out how much
>>more (or less?) to use. I do have American baking powder, so it's not that.
>>

> That is caused by untreated flour, with a higher protein content than
> american cake flour.
> I do not know what type of American baking powder you are using.
> Is it the Calumet or Clabber girl? or Royal baking powder?
> They are not the same.The best cakes are made with the former.
> Most american recipes are sweet and used lots of liquids.
> What particular recipe would you like to adjust?
> Please post your reply of in rec. food.baking.
> Roy

I used Calumet baking powder, just as I had used in the US. Never heard
of Clabber Girl or Royal. I don't have a particular recipe I want to
adjust, I was looking for general guidelines after making a cake last
week and having it come out very heavy and dense. I won't be making this
particular cake again since it's one I typically make for a large crowd
or a special occasion.

Thanks,

Ellie
Roy Basan

Default Modifying American Recipes to Allow for French Flour?

Ellie C > wrote in message >.. .
> Roy Basan wrote:
>
> > Ellie C > wrote in message >.. .
> >
> >>I've been trying some favorite baking recipes from my American cookbooks
> >>but I'm now living in France and they don't come out right. Cakes come
> >>out a bit heavy and leaden. I know that French flour is different from
> >>American flour, and I wonder if there's some way to figure out how much
> >>more (or less?) to use. I do have American baking powder, so it's not that.
> >>

> > That is caused by untreated flour, with a higher protein content than
> > american cake flour.
> > I do not know what type of American baking powder you are using.
> > Is it the Calumet or Clabber girl? or Royal baking powder?
> > They are not the same.The best cakes are made with the former.
> > Most american recipes are sweet and used lots of liquids.
> > What particular recipe would you like to adjust?
> > Please post your reply of in rec. food.baking.
> > Roy

> I used Calumet baking powder, just as I had used in the US. Never heard
> of Clabber Girl or Royal. I don't have a particular recipe I want to
> adjust, I was looking for general guidelines after making a cake last
> week and having it come out very heavy and dense. I won't be making this
> particular cake again since it's one I typically make for a large crowd
> or a special occasion.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ellie

Good to hear that.....Calumet can be considered a robust baking powder
for cake making. Clabber girl have the same ingredient composition as
the Calumet and its also double acting and so equivalent in
performance.
While the Royal baking powder is more of weaker type of leavening
agent; it is just a single acting type and the leavening acid used is
not the top of the line either.
If someday you decide to make that kind of cake again, please reduce
the amount of sugar ( not higher than flour weight)so that the cake
batter will be lighter( lower specific gravity) the resulting cake
texture will be porous not dense.
With such lessened sweetener , in order to attain the desired batter
fluidity you will need less liquid( liquid milk). Then you will likely
end up with a satisfactory cake especially if you bake it properly.
Roy
Roy Basan

Ellie C > wrote in message >.. .
> Roy Basan wrote:
>
> > Ellie C > wrote in message >.. .
> >
> >>I've been trying some favorite baking recipes from my American cookbooks
> >>but I'm now living in France and they don't come out right. Cakes come
> >>out a bit heavy and leaden. I know that French flour is different from
> >>American flour, and I wonder if there's some way to figure out how much
> >>more (or less?) to use. I do have American baking powder, so it's not that.
> >>

> > That is caused by untreated flour, with a higher protein content than
> > american cake flour.
> > I do not know what type of American baking powder you are using.
> > Is it the Calumet or Clabber girl? or Royal baking powder?
> > They are not the same.The best cakes are made with the former.
> > Most american recipes are sweet and used lots of liquids.
> > What particular recipe would you like to adjust?
> > Please post your reply of in rec. food.baking.
> > Roy

> I used Calumet baking powder, just as I had used in the US. Never heard
> of Clabber Girl or Royal. I don't have a particular recipe I want to
> adjust, I was looking for general guidelines after making a cake last
> week and having it come out very heavy and dense. I won't be making this
> particular cake again since it's one I typically make for a large crowd
> or a special occasion.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ellie

Good to hear that.....Calumet can be considered a robust baking powder
for cake making. Clabber girl have the same ingredient composition as
the Calumet and its also double acting and so equivalent in
performance.
While the Royal baking powder is more of weaker type of leavening
agent; it is just a single acting type and the leavening acid used is
not the top of the line either.
If someday you decide to make that kind of cake again, please reduce
the amount of sugar ( not higher than flour weight)so that the cake
batter will be lighter( lower specific gravity) the resulting cake
texture will be porous not dense.
With such lessened sweetener , in order to attain the desired batter
fluidity you will need less liquid( liquid milk). Then you will likely
end up with a satisfactory cake especially if you bake it properly.
Roy
Ellie C

Roy Basan wrote:

> Ellie C > wrote in message >.. .
>
>>Roy Basan wrote:

>>>That is caused by untreated flour, with a higher protein content than
>>>american cake flour.
>>>I do not know what type of American baking powder you are using.
>>>Is it the Calumet or Clabber girl? or Royal baking powder?
>>>They are not the same.The best cakes are made with the former.
>>>Most american recipes are sweet and used lots of liquids.
>>>What particular recipe would you like to adjust?
>>>Please post your reply of in rec. food.baking.
>>>Roy

>>I used Calumet baking powder, just as I had used in the US. Never heard
>>of Clabber Girl or Royal. I don't have a particular recipe I want to
>>adjust, I was looking for general guidelines after making a cake last
>>week and having it come out very heavy and dense. I won't be making this
>>particular cake again since it's one I typically make for a large crowd
>>or a special occasion.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Ellie

> Good to hear that.....Calumet can be considered a robust baking powder
> for cake making. Clabber girl have the same ingredient composition as
> the Calumet and its also double acting and so equivalent in
> performance.
> While the Royal baking powder is more of weaker type of leavening
> agent; it is just a single acting type and the leavening acid used is
> not the top of the line either.
> If someday you decide to make that kind of cake again, please reduce
> the amount of sugar ( not higher than flour weight)so that the cake
> batter will be lighter( lower specific gravity) the resulting cake
> texture will be porous not dense.
> With such lessened sweetener , in order to attain the desired batter
> fluidity you will need less liquid( liquid milk). Then you will likely
> end up with a satisfactory cake especially if you bake it properly.
> Roy

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of reducing the amount of sugar.
I'll probably make this cake again at Christmas - even when it comes out
with a imperfect texture, it tastes wonderful. Thanks!