Default Tres Leches Cakes

Does anyone have a good recipe for a tres leches cake?

Peach

Baker

wrote in :

> Does anyone have a good recipe for a tres leches cake?
>
> Peach

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Tres Leches
Categories: Cakes, Desserts
Yield: 8 Servings

MMMMM----------------------------CAKE---------------------------------
1 cup Sugar
5 large Eggs, separated
1/3 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Cream of tartar

MMMMM-------------------------MILK SYRUP------------------------------
12 oz Evaporated milk
1 cup Sweetened condensed milk
1 cup Heavy cream
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Tbsp Light rum

MMMMM--------------------------MERINGUE-------------------------------
1 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of tartar
3 Egg whites

Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter a 13 x 9 baking dish. Prepare
cake: Beat 3/4 cup of sugar and egg yolks until light and fluffy, about
5 minutes. Fold in the milk, vanilla, flour and baking powder. Beat the
egg whites to soft peaks, adding the cream of tartar after 20 seconds.
Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue beating until
the whites are glossy and firm, but not dry. Gently fold the whites
into the yolk mixture. Pour this batter into the buttered baking dish.
Bake the cake until it feels firm and an inserted toothpick comes out
clean, about 40 to 50 minutes. Let the cake cool completely on a wire
rack. Unmold the cake onto a large, deep platter and pierce the cake
all over with a fork. Prepare the milk syrup: Combine the evaporated
milk, sweetened condensed milk, cream, vanilla and rum in a mixing bowl.
Whisk until well mixed, Pour the syrup over the cake, spooning the
overflow back on top until all is absorbed.

Prepare the Meringue: Place 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the sugar in
a heavy saucepan with 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook over high heat for
2 minutes. Uncover the pan and cook the sugar to the soft ball stage,
239F. on a candy thermometer, 6 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, beat the egg
whites to soft peaks with the cream of tartar. Add the remaining 2
tablespoons of sugar and continue beating to stiff peaks. Pour the
boiling sugar syrup in a thin stream into the whites and continue
beating until the mixture is cool to the touch. The hot syrup cooks the
whites. Using a wet spatula, spread the top and sides of the cake with
a thick layer of the meringue. Refrigerate the cake for at least 2
hours before serving.

--
Baker
MOMPEAGRAM

> wrote in message ...
> Does anyone have a good recipe for a tres leches cake?
>
> Peach

* Exported from BigOven *

Nicaraguan Tres Leches Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size :6
Cuisine :
Main Ingred. :

-------- ------------- --------------------------------
CAKE:
9 Egg whites
: 2 cup Sugar
: 9 Egg yolks
: 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 cup Water

: 2 cup All-purpose flour : 1 Tbsp Baking powder : FILLING: : 3 Egg yolks
: 1 12 ounce can evaporated : Milk : 1 14-oz can sweetened : Condensed milk
: 1 pt Heavy cream : 1 tsp Vanilla : 1 Tbsp Liqueur (optional - I : Use
Amaretto) : MERINGUE: : 1 cup Light corn syrup : 1 1/2 cups sugar : 3 Egg
whites FOR CAKE: Beat egg whites until stiff; set aside. Beat the sugar
and egg yolks until light, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla and milk, then
beat in flour and finally the baking powder. Fold egg whites into the
batter and pour into a generously greased 9-by 13-inch pan. Bake 30 to 40
minutes at 350 degrees, or until cake will spring back in center when
touched. Let cool. (It's OK if cake falls somewhat at this point.) FOR
FILLING: Beat the three egg yolks for 1 minute at high speed with an
electric mixer. Add the three kinds of milk - evaporated, condensed and
cream - and the vanilla and liqueur, and beat thoroughly. When the cake has
cooled, unmold it onto a dish. Pierce the cake as thoroughly as possible
with a fork. Slowly pour the filling mixture onto the cake, allowing it to
soak in without running over the sides. FOR THE MERINGUE: Mix water,
corn syrup and sugar in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium
high heat. Cook until mixture reaches 227 degrees on a thermometer, or will
spin a thread when drizzled from a spoon ( about 30 minutes). Beat egg
whites until very stiff. Slowly beat syrup into egg whites, whisking
constantly while pouring syrup in a steady stream. Allow to cool slightly,
then spread on top and sides of cake. Refrigerate cake at least two hours;
it should be served very cold. Because the cake is very rich, it can serve
20. A FEW NOTES: Because the cream in Nicaragua is thicker and slightly
more acidic than the ultra-pasteurized heavy cream sold in this country, to
make the cake more authentic use 1 cup of sour cream and 1 cup of heavy
cream for the pint of cream specified in the recipe. Commercial marshmallow
cream can be used instead of the meringue. Also, instead of unmolding the
cake I have baked it in a glass pan and left it in there. I pierce it and
pour the filling over it right in the pan and refrigerate. When I'm ready
to serve it, I put on the meringue. I find it is easier to fill, store and
the glass pan keeps the cake and filling ( which still resembles a heavy
milk) very cold. From: "Lisa Head"
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 38 Calories; 1g Fat (17.1% calories
from fat); 6g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 3mg Cholesterol;
93mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat.Nutr. Assoc. :
0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven for Windows. **
** Easy Windows recipe software. Try it free at www.bigoven.com. **

Tres Leches Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 18 14-10-2015 06:32 PM
Pastel de Tres Leches International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 09-11-2005 05:25 AM
Tres Leches Cake Duckie ® Recipes 0 24-09-2005 04:46 PM
Tres Leches Cake [email protected] General Cooking 10 02-10-2004 07:27 PM
Tres Leches Cake Patricia Hill Recipes (moderated) 0 16-01-2004 02:43 PM