Vox Humana

Default Does anyone have a Soehnle Futura Digital Food Scale - Need feedback

"Rockstead" > wrote in message
om...
> Cooks Illustrated rates this as one of the best Digital Food scales
> you can buy. I'm looking at the 11 pound model, check out the link,
> this thing is a beauty.
>
> I do have two concerns and just wanted to confirm them with someone
> that may own one.
>
> 1) Why did they have to make it so annoying to switch between
> lbs/ounces and grams, the reviews I read said you had to remove the
> back panel and then use a screw driver to switch. Is it really that
> difficult? wish they could ave used a button on the unit itself.
>
> 2) Does the scale power off too quickly, I read one review that said
> 2min, while the Cooks Illustrated review said 15min, which is it?

I have a Soehnle scale, but not that one. It shuts off after about 5
minutes. There is a switch on the bottom to select English or metric units.
I find that I have to switch fairly often, so I wouldn't buy a scale you had
to use a screwdriver on. I don't find the 5 minute off time to be a
problem. At worst all you have to do is touch the on/off/tare button to
restore power. The scale sets itself to zero and you can continue to add
ingredients. I suppose that it might be a problem if you needed to know the
total weight of ingredients in the bowl and it powers off before you are
done.

Vox Humana

"Rockstead" > wrote in message
om...
> Cooks Illustrated rates this as one of the best Digital Food scales
> you can buy. I'm looking at the 11 pound model, check out the link,
> this thing is a beauty.
>
> I do have two concerns and just wanted to confirm them with someone
> that may own one.
>
> 1) Why did they have to make it so annoying to switch between
> lbs/ounces and grams, the reviews I read said you had to remove the
> back panel and then use a screw driver to switch. Is it really that
> difficult? wish they could ave used a button on the unit itself.
>
> 2) Does the scale power off too quickly, I read one review that said
> 2min, while the Cooks Illustrated review said 15min, which is it?

I have a Soehnle scale, but not that one. It shuts off after about 5
minutes. There is a switch on the bottom to select English or metric units.
I find that I have to switch fairly often, so I wouldn't buy a scale you had
to use a screwdriver on. I don't find the 5 minute off time to be a
problem. At worst all you have to do is touch the on/off/tare button to
restore power. The scale sets itself to zero and you can continue to add
ingredients. I suppose that it might be a problem if you needed to know the
total weight of ingredients in the bowl and it powers off before you are
done.

occupant

I bought my scale for about 50 Canadian dollars at Canada Tire. Love
the scale. Has a switch on the bottom to switch between metric and
ounces. It is a joy to use. I think I have the same one as the other
poster mentioned.

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Rockstead" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Cooks Illustrated rates this as one of the best Digital Food scales
> > you can buy. I'm looking at the 11 pound model, check out the link,
> > this thing is a beauty.
> >
> > I do have two concerns and just wanted to confirm them with someone
> > that may own one.
> >
> > 1) Why did they have to make it so annoying to switch between
> > lbs/ounces and grams, the reviews I read said you had to remove the
> > back panel and then use a screw driver to switch. Is it really that
> > difficult? wish they could ave used a button on the unit itself.
> >
> > 2) Does the scale power off too quickly, I read one review that said
> > 2min, while the Cooks Illustrated review said 15min, which is it?

> I have a Soehnle scale, but not that one. It shuts off after about 5
> minutes. There is a switch on the bottom to select English or metric units.
> I find that I have to switch fairly often, so I wouldn't buy a scale you had
> to use a screwdriver on. I don't find the 5 minute off time to be a
> problem. At worst all you have to do is touch the on/off/tare button to
> restore power. The scale sets itself to zero and you can continue to add
> ingredients. I suppose that it might be a problem if you needed to know the
> total weight of ingredients in the bowl and it powers off before you are
> done.

occupant

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Rockstead" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Cooks Illustrated rates this as one of the best Digital Food scales
> > you can buy. I'm looking at the 11 pound model, check out the link,
> > this thing is a beauty.
> >
> > I do have two concerns and just wanted to confirm them with someone
> > that may own one.
> >
> > 1) Why did they have to make it so annoying to switch between
> > lbs/ounces and grams, the reviews I read said you had to remove the
> > back panel and then use a screw driver to switch. Is it really that
> > difficult? wish they could ave used a button on the unit itself.
> >
> > 2) Does the scale power off too quickly, I read one review that said
> > 2min, while the Cooks Illustrated review said 15min, which is it?

> I have a Soehnle scale, but not that one. It shuts off after about 5
> minutes. There is a switch on the bottom to select English or metric units.
> I find that I have to switch fairly often, so I wouldn't buy a scale you had
> to use a screwdriver on. I don't find the 5 minute off time to be a
> problem. At worst all you have to do is touch the on/off/tare button to
> restore power. The scale sets itself to zero and you can continue to add
> ingredients. I suppose that it might be a problem if you needed to know the
> total weight of ingredients in the bowl and it powers off before you are
> done.

occupant

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Rockstead" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Cooks Illustrated rates this as one of the best Digital Food scales
> > you can buy. I'm looking at the 11 pound model, check out the link,
> > this thing is a beauty.
> >
> > I do have two concerns and just wanted to confirm them with someone
> > that may own one.
> >
> > 1) Why did they have to make it so annoying to switch between
> > lbs/ounces and grams, the reviews I read said you had to remove the
> > back panel and then use a screw driver to switch. Is it really that
> > difficult? wish they could ave used a button on the unit itself.
> >
> > 2) Does the scale power off too quickly, I read one review that said
> > 2min, while the Cooks Illustrated review said 15min, which is it?

> I have a Soehnle scale, but not that one. It shuts off after about 5
> minutes. There is a switch on the bottom to select English or metric units.
> I find that I have to switch fairly often, so I wouldn't buy a scale you had
> to use a screwdriver on. I don't find the 5 minute off time to be a
> problem. At worst all you have to do is touch the on/off/tare button to
> restore power. The scale sets itself to zero and you can continue to add
> ingredients. I suppose that it might be a problem if you needed to know the
> total weight of ingredients in the bowl and it powers off before you are
> done.

Rockstead

It's really strange that they would make it so difficult to switch on
the Futura model, what could they have been thinking?

occupant > wrote in message >...
> I bought my scale for about 50 Canadian dollars at Canada Tire. Love
> the scale. Has a switch on the bottom to switch between metric and
> ounces. It is a joy to use. I think I have the same one as the other
> poster mentioned.
>
> Vox Humana wrote:
> >
> > "Rockstead" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Cooks Illustrated rates this as one of the best Digital Food scales
> > > you can buy. I'm looking at the 11 pound model, check out the link,
> > > this thing is a beauty.
> > >
> > > I do have two concerns and just wanted to confirm them with someone
> > > that may own one.
> > >
> > > 1) Why did they have to make it so annoying to switch between
> > > lbs/ounces and grams, the reviews I read said you had to remove the
> > > back panel and then use a screw driver to switch. Is it really that
> > > difficult? wish they could ave used a button on the unit itself.
> > >
> > > 2) Does the scale power off too quickly, I read one review that said
> > > 2min, while the Cooks Illustrated review said 15min, which is it?

> > I have a Soehnle scale, but not that one. It shuts off after about 5
> > minutes. There is a switch on the bottom to select English or metric units.
> > I find that I have to switch fairly often, so I wouldn't buy a scale you had
> > to use a screwdriver on. I don't find the 5 minute off time to be a
> > problem. At worst all you have to do is touch the on/off/tare button to
> > restore power. The scale sets itself to zero and you can continue to add
> > ingredients. I suppose that it might be a problem if you needed to know the
> > total weight of ingredients in the bowl and it powers off before you are
> > done.

SCUBApix

"Rockstead" > wrote in message
om...
> Cooks Illustrated rates this as one of the best Digital Food scales
> you can buy. I'm looking at the 11 pound model, check out the link,
> this thing is a beauty.
>
> I do have two concerns and just wanted to confirm them with someone
> that may own one.
>
> 1) Why did they have to make it so annoying to switch between
> lbs/ounces and grams, the reviews I read said you had to remove the
> back panel and then use a screw driver to switch. Is it really that
> difficult? wish they could ave used a button on the unit itself.
>
> 2) Does the scale power off too quickly, I read one review that said
> 2min, while the Cooks Illustrated review said 15min, which is it?

Although a totaslly different scale, check out http://www.myscale.com/

For a specific recommendation, type in 6001 (or 3001) in the search
box for a 6Kg (or 3Kg) scale. They have all the bells & whistles I need
like a tare function and you can switch between oz, lbs & oz, grams or Kg &
g, all from the front of the scale.

I would not order the white one with the black 'stripes'. I think those
rubber stripes would be hard to keep clean. I have the blue 3001 and have
had it for a few years. I love it.

Dave Bell

SCUBApix wrote:
> Although a totaslly different scale, check out http://www.myscale.com/
>
> For a specific recommendation, type in 6001 (or 3001) in the search
> box for a 6Kg (or 3Kg) scale.

Great site, but is it just me, or do they no longer have a Search
feature?!? What's the manufactuirer on your 3001 scale?

Dave
Dave Bell

SCUBApix wrote:
> Although a totaslly different scale, check out http://www.myscale.com/
>
> For a specific recommendation, type in 6001 (or 3001) in the search
> box for a 6Kg (or 3Kg) scale.

Great site, but is it just me, or do they no longer have a Search
feature?!? What's the manufactuirer on your 3001 scale?

Dave
SCUBApix

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
m...
> SCUBApix wrote:
> > Although a totaslly different scale, check out http://www.myscale.com/
> >
> > For a specific recommendation, type in 6001 (or 3001) in the search
> > box for a 6Kg (or 3Kg) scale.

> Great site, but is it just me, or do they no longer have a Search
> feature?!? What's the manufactuirer on your 3001 scale?
>
> Dave

Looks like they don't have either the search feature nor the scale I own
anymore. Sorry about that. Here's a link for the manufacturer:
http://www.myweigh.com/mediumscales_3001.html
You can get info on both the 3001 and 6001 series of scales at the above
url..

Old Will Knot.com sells then. Check out
http://www.oldwillknott.com/cgi-bin/...gh_page_2.html
Go about half way down the page for the 3001 and then comes the 6001.

Normal caveats apply: I don't have any relationship with the manufacturer of
these scales, I don't have any relationship with any seller of these scales,
I have no personal knowledge of the manufacturer's or seller's political or
sexual preferences, etc., etc.

SCUBApix

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
m...
> SCUBApix wrote:
> > Although a totaslly different scale, check out http://www.myscale.com/
> >
> > For a specific recommendation, type in 6001 (or 3001) in the search
> > box for a 6Kg (or 3Kg) scale.

> Great site, but is it just me, or do they no longer have a Search
> feature?!? What's the manufactuirer on your 3001 scale?
>
> Dave

Looks like they don't have either the search feature nor the scale I own
anymore. Sorry about that. Here's a link for the manufacturer:
http://www.myweigh.com/mediumscales_3001.html
You can get info on both the 3001 and 6001 series of scales at the above
url..

Old Will Knot.com sells then. Check out
http://www.oldwillknott.com/cgi-bin/...gh_page_2.html
Go about half way down the page for the 3001 and then comes the 6001.

Normal caveats apply: I don't have any relationship with the manufacturer of
these scales, I don't have any relationship with any seller of these scales,
I have no personal knowledge of the manufacturer's or seller's political or
sexual preferences, etc., etc.

Carol L

I have purchased the i5000 Bowlscale and have been very pleased with it. I
had been researching for quite a while and settled on this model. Has all
the features and you can also purchase an adapter to use for an alternate
power source. Link he http://www.myweigh.com/mediumscales_i5000.html

Dave Bell

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, SCUBApix wrote:

> Here's a link for the manufacturer:
> http://www.myweigh.com/mediumscales_3001.html
> You can get info on both the 3001 and 6001 series of scales at the above
> url..
>
> Old Will Knot.com sells then. Check out
> http://www.oldwillknott.com/cgi-bin/...gh_page_2.html
> Go about half way down the page for the 3001 and then comes the 6001.

I searched around, and the best price I found was at DiscountScales.com
$29.95 for the 3001 and
$38.75 for the 6001

Then, when I drilled don to order one, I found an unadvertised free
shipping special ($7.99 ground) OR a 15% discount for using PayPal...

Looks like a very full-featured unit; thanks for the tip!

Dave

Dave Bell

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, SCUBApix wrote:

> Here's a link for the manufacturer:
> http://www.myweigh.com/mediumscales_3001.html
> You can get info on both the 3001 and 6001 series of scales at the above
> url..
>
> Old Will Knot.com sells then. Check out
> http://www.oldwillknott.com/cgi-bin/...gh_page_2.html
> Go about half way down the page for the 3001 and then comes the 6001.

I searched around, and the best price I found was at DiscountScales.com
$29.95 for the 3001 and
$38.75 for the 6001

Then, when I drilled don to order one, I found an unadvertised free
shipping special ($7.99 ground) OR a 15% discount for using PayPal...

Looks like a very full-featured unit; thanks for the tip!

Dave
Dave Bell