FoodBanter.com

-   -   Does a ganache frosted cake need to be refrigerated? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/285-does-ganache-frosted-cake.html)

Karen Salomon 24-12-2003 04:53 PM

Does a ganache frosted cake need to be refrigerated?

Happy Holidays. I baked a cake and am trying to decide on a ganache
frosting or a frosting made with 1/2 cup heavy cream, chocolate and sugar.
Would I need to refrigerate the cakes frosted with either one? The heavy
cream gets heated first in both recipes, if that makes any difference. I'm
frosting the cake today and serving it tomorrow.

Hope everyone's holiday preparations are going well!

Vox Humana 24-12-2003 05:30 PM

"Karen Salomon" > wrote in message
> Happy Holidays. I baked a cake and am trying to decide on a ganache
> frosting or a frosting made with 1/2 cup heavy cream, chocolate and sugar.
> Would I need to refrigerate the cakes frosted with either one? The heavy
> cream gets heated first in both recipes, if that makes any difference.

I'm
> frosting the cake today and serving it tomorrow.
>
> Hope everyone's holiday preparations are going well!

I suppose that the correct answer is that it has to be refrigerated.
However, if you keep it in a cool place, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless
it is very warm, I don't bother to refrigerate cakes frosted with ganache.
There is a lot of sugar that will act as a preservative.

Ken' 24-12-2003 05:45 PM

Does a ganache frosted cake need to be refrigerated?

Karen
My Mastercook recipe for Ganache states in the recipe "Do not refrigerate"
If you wish I can send you a copy
Ken'

Vox Humana 24-12-2003 10:10 PM

"pilgrim" > wrote in message
> Leave a small glass of your heavy cream next to your finished cake and
> leave them out. Tomorrow, If you think that the cream is not OK to drink
> the cake frosting is probably not OK either.
>
> In other words, I would refrigerate cake frosting (overnight) whenever it
> contains milk or cream.

Considering that the cream was pasteurized (by law), heated to boiling, and
combined with a lot of sugar, I can't imagine it would be a problem. When
you make cream fresh, you not only leave it out for 24 hours, but you leave
it in a warm place and inoculate it with bacteria.

Alex Rast 30-12-2003 01:19 AM

Does a ganache frosted cake need to be refrigerated?

at Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:53:11 GMT in >,
(Karen Salomon) wrote :

>Happy Holidays. I baked a cake and am trying to decide on a ganache
>frosting or a frosting made with 1/2 cup heavy cream, chocolate and
>sugar.

These both sound like ganache to me, at least if the second one, containing
added sugar, has only a minimal amount added. If the amount is extreme, it
might be more of a sugar frosting, but otherwise, the differences would be
small. You will not need to refrigerate either one unless your ganache had
a very high cream proportion, say, 2:1 cream : chocolate, in which case it
isn't a frosting anyway, but rather a pouring ganache.

>Would I need to refrigerate the cakes frosted with either one?
>The heavy cream gets heated first in both recipes, if that makes any
>difference. I'm frosting the cake today and serving it tomorrow.

What type of cake is it? This may be more relevant than the keeping
properties. If the cake is very low in sugar, or very light in texture, the
second frosting, with the sugar, might be a better fit. Pure ganache
frostings work better with cakes that are somewhat denser and sweeter (e.g.
it doesn't work well with angel food cake).

--
Alex Rast