Cliff Hartle

Default Sour cream Cheesecake disaster

My wife attempted to make this cheesecake from Alton Brown:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._17885,00.html

We followed all the directions with the hour of baking opening the door for
1 minute and then closing the door and letting it sit in the oven and after
sitting in the frig for at least 12 hours we cut the cake.

Well I should have known something was not going to be right because the top
of the cheese cake just didn't look done. It seems pretty solid when I took
it out, but at cutting time we realized that the center of the cake was
barely the consistency of pudding.

Has anyone else baked this cake?

Vox Humana

"Cliff Hartle" > wrote in message
> My wife attempted to make this cheesecake from Alton Brown:
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._17885,00.html
>
> We followed all the directions with the hour of baking opening the door

for
> 1 minute and then closing the door and letting it sit in the oven and

after
> sitting in the frig for at least 12 hours we cut the cake.
>
> Well I should have known something was not going to be right because the

top
> of the cheese cake just didn't look done. It seems pretty solid when I

took
> it out, but at cutting time we realized that the center of the cake was
> barely the consistency of pudding.
>
> Has anyone else baked this cake?

I haven't baked that one. Did you pre-heat the water bath as directed? My
first thought, even before looking at the link, was that the cake wasn't
baked long enough due to 1) the ingredients were too cold to start with; 2)
the oven temperature was incorrect due to the oven not being calibrated; 3)
the water bath wasn't hot enough to begin with. I generally use deep, 12
inch skillet that I fill with water and bring to a boil on top of the stove.
I put the cheesecake in the pan and then put it all in the oven. An
alternative is to put the cake in the pan, put it all in the oven and then
fill it with boiling water.

Cliff Hartle

I think she boiled the water in a teapot and there was plenty of water the
pan went into a roasting pan.

Also the filling ingredients were sitting on the counter for an houror so
before mixing.

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Cliff Hartle" > wrote in message
> > My wife attempted to make this cheesecake from Alton Brown:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._17885,00.html

> > We followed all the directions with the hour of baking opening the door

> for
> > 1 minute and then closing the door and letting it sit in the oven and

> after
> > sitting in the frig for at least 12 hours we cut the cake.
> >
> > Well I should have known something was not going to be right because the

> top
> > of the cheese cake just didn't look done. It seems pretty solid when I

> took
> > it out, but at cutting time we realized that the center of the cake was
> > barely the consistency of pudding.
> >
> > Has anyone else baked this cake?
> >

> I haven't baked that one. Did you pre-heat the water bath as directed?

My
> first thought, even before looking at the link, was that the cake wasn't
> baked long enough due to 1) the ingredients were too cold to start with;

2)
> the oven temperature was incorrect due to the oven not being calibrated;

3)
> the water bath wasn't hot enough to begin with. I generally use deep, 12
> inch skillet that I fill with water and bring to a boil on top of the

stove.
> I put the cheesecake in the pan and then put it all in the oven. An
> alternative is to put the cake in the pan, put it all in the oven and then
> fill it with boiling water.

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Cliff Hartle wrote:

>I think she boiled the water in a teapot and there was plenty of water t=

he
>pan went into a roasting pan.
>
>Also the filling ingredients were sitting on the counter for an houror s=

>before mixing.

The recipe looks fine, but with 250 F it might work fine in an electric=20
oven that is tight with a good thermostat, might not work too well in a=20
gas oven.

Take the temp inside the middle of the cheesecake if you can't judge it=20
by jiggle.
The temp should be minimum of 160 F by the time you turn the heat off.

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"