SPOONS

Default Wanted Quiche or Tart Recipe

Hi all,

I just bought one of those quiche/tart pans. The kind that the botton pops
out. Well it's my first pan of this sort and I don't have a single recipe.
Could someone share some recipes with me?

Thanks a bunch,
SPOONS

alzelt

SPOONS wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just bought one of those quiche/tart pans. The kind that the botton pops
> out. Well it's my first pan of this sort and I don't have a single recipe.
> Could someone share some recipes with me?
>
> Thanks a bunch,
> SPOONS

Here are two:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Quiche Lorraine (Julia Childs)

Recipe By : Saveur in July/August 1999.
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfast/Brunch Eggs
French Pie/Tart Crust
Tart

FOR THE CRUST:
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 Pinch sugar
8 tbsp cold butter -- cut into small
pieces
3 tbsp. cold vegetable shortening -- cut into small
pieces
1 egg -- lightly beaten
FOR THE FILLING:
1 slab bacon -- (6 oz.) diced
2 eggs -- lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper

1. For the crust: Sift together flour, salt, and sugar into a mixing
bowl. Use a pastry cutter or two knives to work butter and shortening
into flour until it resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle in up to 6 tbsp. ice
water, stirring the dough with a fork until it just begins to hold
together. Using your hands, press the dough firmly into a rough ball,
then transfer to a lightly floured surface. Give the dough several quick
kneads with the heel of your hand to form a smooth dough, then shape
into a ball, flatten slightly to make a round, and dust with flour. Wrap
round in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 400°. Allow dough to soften slightly at room
temperature before rolling out on a lightly floured surface into a 14''
round. Fit dough, without stretching it, into a buttered 10'' bottomless
metal flan ring, 1 1/2'' deep, set on a parchment paper-lined cookie
sheet with no rim. Press overhanging dough down slightly into sides of
ring to make the sides of the crust a little thicker and sturdier. Run
the rolling pin over the top of the ring to remove any overhanging
dough. Using a fork, prick bottom lightly, then make a decorative edge
around the rim. Line dough with buttered aluminum foil, then add pie
weights or dried beans. Bake until crust is set and edge just begins to
color, about 25 minutes. Remove foil and weights, brush bottom and sides
with egg, and continue baking until crust is pale golden, another 2-5
minutes.

3. For the filling: Reduce heat to 375°. Put bacon in a medium pan,
cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil
for 5 minutes, then drain. Return bacon to pan and cook over medium heat
until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer bacon with a slotted
spoon to a paper towel to drain, then arrange on bottom of crust.

4. Beat eggs, cream, and salt together in a medium bowl and season to
taste with nutmeg and pepper. Pour mixture into crust and bake until
custard is puffed and golden and just set in the center, 30-35 minutes.
Slide quiche off parchment paper onto a serving platter and remove ring.
Serve quiche warm or at room temperature, sliced into wedges.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : In Lorraine, where it was born, quiche is always made in a round
dish or flan ring (either fluted or straight-sided), and with a thin,
light crust. This recipe is adapted from Mastering the Art of French
Cooking, vol. 1, by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck
(Knopf, 1961).

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tarte Citron Madame Cartet

Recipe By : Patricia Wells, Bistro Cooking
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts French
Fruit Tart

2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemonjuice (about 4
lemons)
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons crème fraiche or heavy cream
5 large eggs
1 Pte Sablée shell -- pre*baked and cooled

1. Preheat the oven to 375F

2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, sugar, and
crème fraiche until well blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing
well after each addition.

3. Pour the lemon cream into the prepared tart shell. Bake until firm,
15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a rack to cool. Serve
at room temperature.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Madame Cartet’s Lemon Tart
When you walk into the minuscule Paris bistro, Cartet, your eyes land
immediately on the desserts, arranged in a tidy row along the bar at
the entrance. Without fail, this superb and simple lemon tart is
there. I love the golden, yellow color, and the puckery tart flavor.
As Marie-Thérèse and Raymond Nouaille, current owners, explained,
"Madame Cartet used to make it with four eggs. We make it with five."
Either way, I always think of it as a delicious end to a copious and
satisfying meal.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener