Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Italian Annice(?) Cookies

Looking for a recipe. Love these cookies but coming from Irish household -
have no idea how to make.

Posted to rec.food.baking

JOAN MC NAMARA wrote:

> Looking for a recipe. Love these cookies but coming from Irish household -
> have no idea how to make.

Never heard of Italian anise cookies per se, but it sounds like
you're talking about biscotti.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.baking

Reg wrote:
> JOAN MC NAMARA wrote:
>
> > Looking for a recipe. Love these cookies but coming from Irish household -
> > have no idea how to make.
> >

> Never heard of Italian anise cookies per se, but it sounds like
> you're talking about biscotti.
>
> --
> Reg

Biscotti are slices of a half-oval shape of a "toasted" sweet bread.
Another Italian cookie is "pizelles." They are flat, round, thin
wafer-like cookies, 3 or 5 inch diameter, made in appliances like a
waffle press. They can include anise extract instead of vanilla
extract. When warm, they are sometimes shaped around a wooden dowel to
make a tube for a filling of cheese and sugar to make "cannoli." Or
curved around a cone shaped dowel to make the sugar cookie cones at
your local ice cream parlor.

Both biscotti and pizzelles have a variety of recipes, with different
flavors, including cocoa. Most differences in flavors depends upon the
extract used. A search on www.allrecipes.com will result in a variety
of recipes for both.

Posted to rec.food.baking

wrote:
> Reg wrote:
>> JOAN MC NAMARA wrote:
>>
>>> Looking for a recipe. Love these cookies but coming from Irish household -
>>> have no idea how to make.
>>>

>> Never heard of Italian anise cookies per se, but it sounds like
>> you're talking about biscotti.

Could be either biscotti or some other form.
<http://tinyurl.com/yhvuzv> or <http://tinyurl.com/yhfgvg>

> Biscotti are slices of a half-oval shape of a "toasted" sweet bread.

They're bis-cotti - twice-cooked, from Latin "bi" (or some
variant) which means "two," and "cotto" which means
"cooked." First as a loaf-shaped sweet bread, then sliced
and re-baked. (Pronounced "beece-koh-tee" and one would be a
"biscotto."). But there's a chance for confusion here
because Italians call certain kinds of cookies biscotti, as
well. Much as the English call what Americans call "cookies"
biscuits. <http://tinyurl.com/vhf8p>

> Another Italian cookie is "pizelles." They are flat, round, thin
> wafer-like cookies, 3 or 5 inch diameter, made in appliances like a
> waffle press.

Spelled, most often, pizzelle (no "s") and pronounced
"peet-zeh-leh"
Pizzelle irons and examples <http://tinyurl.com/wvsv6>

> They can include anise extract instead of vanilla
> extract. When warm, they are sometimes shaped around a wooden dowel to
> make a tube for a filling of cheese and sugar to make "cannoli."

No. Cannoli are made with deep-fried pastry crusts.
<http://tinyurl.com/y3v5tr>

<http://italianfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa020701.htm>
If you don't know Kyle Phillips and his Italian food
writing, you're in for a treat. He's very knowledgeable and
his writing is very accessible.

> Or
> curved around a cone shaped dowel to make the sugar cookie cones at
> your local ice cream parlor.

The still-warm cookies can be rolled like that, but using
pizzelle for that purpose isn't optimum. They get soggy
fairly quickly as ice cream melts. The more usual ice cream
cones. <http://tinyurl.com/voowh>

> Both biscotti and pizzelles have a variety of recipes, with different
> flavors, including cocoa. Most differences in flavors depends upon the
> extract used. A search on
www.allrecipes.com will result in a variety
> of recipes for both.

Or, better yet, try
<http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/recipe.html> searching
for *any* recipes.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 21:02:45 GMT, "JOAN MC NAMARA"
> wrote:

>Looking for a recipe. Love these cookies but coming from Irish household -
>have no idea how to make.

Are they white? Maybe on the thick side? 3/8-1/2 in. And by any chance
have you ever seen them with a design imprinted?
If so they may be German Anise Christmas Cookies (Springerle)

My best friends grandmother (Italian-Armanian) use to make them every
year.
I LOVE these cookies and I make them every year.

So, if you think these are those you seek. Then google
German Anise Christmas Cookies (Springerle)

David

Italian S cookies Tom Del Rosso[_2_] General Cooking 16 10-12-2010 11:11 AM
Italian Nut Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-09-2005 12:03 AM
Italian Easter Cookies Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 14-01-2005 03:57 AM
Italian Bow Knot Cookies Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 12:38 PM
Italian Christmas Cookies NewYorkBaker General Cooking 15 07-12-2004 06:13 AM