Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Preventing cakes from sticking to the pan

I was watching a baking show and the lady said she always kept a mixture -
1/3 Crisco, 1/3 veg oil and 1/3 flour - in her cupboard to spread on the
bottom of her cake pans so the cake doesn't stick to the pan. She said the
reason she doesn't use some type of spray is that a spray gets on the side
of the pan and the side of cake pans aren't supposed to have anything on
them. Can someone tell me why the sides of cake pans shouldn't be greased or
coated with a spray etc.. Thanks

Posted to rec.food.baking

Frank103 wrote:
> I was watching a baking show and the lady said she always kept a mixture -
> 1/3 Crisco, 1/3 veg oil and 1/3 flour - in her cupboard to spread on the
> bottom of her cake pans so the cake doesn't stick to the pan. She said the
> reason she doesn't use some type of spray is that a spray gets on the side
> of the pan and the side of cake pans aren't supposed to have anything on
> them. Can someone tell me why the sides of cake pans shouldn't be greased or
> coated with a spray etc.. Thanks

If it's something like an angel food cake or other type of foam cake
such as a sponge cake or chiffon cake you don't want to spray the sides
of the pan because the batter needs to cling to the sides of the pan as
the cake rises. Cakes like that are often cooled in the pan upside
down before removing them from the pan. If you greased the sides of
the pan the cake could fall out when you turn the pan upside-down. For
an ordinary butter type cake though I always grease both the bottom and
the sides of the pan. Most recipes I've seen for butter or shortened
cakes say to grease the sides of the pan.

Posted to rec.food.baking

djs0302, thanks for the reply. I think the cake she was baking was some kind
of red velvet layer cake.

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Frank103 wrote:
>> I was watching a baking show and the lady said she always kept a
>> mixture -
>> 1/3 Crisco, 1/3 veg oil and 1/3 flour - in her cupboard to spread on the
>> bottom of her cake pans so the cake doesn't stick to the pan. She said
>> the
>> reason she doesn't use some type of spray is that a spray gets on the
>> side
>> of the pan and the side of cake pans aren't supposed to have anything on
>> them. Can someone tell me why the sides of cake pans shouldn't be greased
>> or
>> coated with a spray etc.. Thanks

> If it's something like an angel food cake or other type of foam cake
> such as a sponge cake or chiffon cake you don't want to spray the sides
> of the pan because the batter needs to cling to the sides of the pan as
> the cake rises. Cakes like that are often cooled in the pan upside
> down before removing them from the pan. If you greased the sides of
> the pan the cake could fall out when you turn the pan upside-down. For
> an ordinary butter type cake though I always grease both the bottom and
> the sides of the pan. Most recipes I've seen for butter or shortened
> cakes say to grease the sides of the pan.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On 9/22/06, Frank103 > wrote:
> djs0302, thanks for the reply. I think the cake she was baking was some kind
> of red velvet layer cake.

What I've used with good results are sprays such as "Baker's Joy"
which contain flour. The provide enough tooth for an angel food cake,
and still provide good release. Pam has a similar spray now, and a
number of grocery stores have their own house-brand equivalents as
well.

Mike
Posted to rec.food.baking

butter and flour!....lightly coat your pan with a thin layer of butter
with a paper towel and sprinkle flour over top, turn your pan over and
tap your pan to discard access flour.
This is the oldest and truest way of stopping your cakes from sticking.

Mike Avery wrote:
> On 9/22/06, Frank103 > wrote:
> > djs0302, thanks for the reply. I think the cake she was baking was some kind
> > of red velvet layer cake.

> What I've used with good results are sprays such as "Baker's Joy"
> which contain flour. The provide enough tooth for an angel food cake,
> and still provide good release. Pam has a similar spray now, and a
> number of grocery stores have their own house-brand equivalents as
> well.
>
> Mike

Posted to rec.food.baking

I use parchment paper. It works very well for me

"personal chef" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> butter and flour!....lightly coat your pan with a thin layer of butter
> with a paper towel and sprinkle flour over top, turn your pan over and
> tap your pan to discard access flour.
> This is the oldest and truest way of stopping your cakes from sticking.
>

> Mike Avery wrote:
>> On 9/22/06, Frank103 > wrote:
>> > djs0302, thanks for the reply. I think the cake she was baking was some
>> > kind
>> > of red velvet layer cake.

>> What I've used with good results are sprays such as "Baker's Joy"
>> which contain flour. The provide enough tooth for an angel food cake,
>> and still provide good release. Pam has a similar spray now, and a
>> number of grocery stores have their own house-brand equivalents as
>> well.
>>
>> Mike

Posted to rec.food.baking

Frank103 wrote:
> I use parchment paper. It works very well for me
>
> "personal chef" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > butter and flour!....lightly coat your pan with a thin layer of butter
> > with a paper towel and sprinkle flour over top, turn your pan over and
> > tap your pan to discard access flour.
> > This is the oldest and truest way of stopping your cakes from sticking.
> >

> > Mike Avery wrote:
> >>
> >> What I've used with good results are sprays such as "Baker's Joy"
> >> which contain flour. The provide enough tooth for an angel food cake,
> >> and still provide good release. Pam has a similar spray now, and a
> >> number of grocery stores have their own house-brand equivalents as
> >> well.
> >>
> >> Mike

I second the parchment paper. Wow Mike. I haven't heard the name
baker's job since I was a kid. Not sure how it stayed in my memory, but
I remember their commericals. Maybe because there was cakes in them.

Posted to rec.food.baking

"personal chef" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> butter and flour!....lightly coat your pan with a thin layer of butter
> with a paper towel and sprinkle flour over top, turn your pan over and
> tap your pan to discard access flour.
> This is the oldest and truest way of stopping your cakes from sticking.

What do you use if you want the cake to climb the side of the pan?

Posted to rec.food.baking

Frank Drackman wrote:
> "personal chef" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > butter and flour!....lightly coat your pan with a thin layer of butter
> > with a paper towel and sprinkle flour over top, turn your pan over and
> > tap your pan to discard access flour.
> > This is the oldest and truest way of stopping your cakes from sticking.
> >

> What do you use if you want the cake to climb the side of the pan?

I presume he had never baked a chiffon cake in tube pans....or would
place a "makeshift stairway' for the cake batter to climb the pan sides
<Big Grin>?

Posted to rec.food.baking

Frank103 wrote:
> I was watching a baking show and the lady said she always kept a mixture -
> 1/3 Crisco, 1/3 veg oil and 1/3 flour - in her cupboard to spread on the
> bottom of her cake pans so the cake doesn't stick to the pan. She said the
> reason she doesn't use some type of spray is that a spray gets on the side
> of the pan and the side of cake pans aren't supposed to have anything on
> them. Can someone tell me why the sides of cake pans shouldn't be greased or
> coated with a spray etc.. Thanks

She conflated a lot of different baking conditions into one
bit of advice. Unfortunately, what she said only applies
sometimes. Chiffons and angel food cakes shouldn't be baked
in greased or greased and floured pans (usually done in tube
pans). Virtually all other cakes should be.

Keeping that fat and flour mix in her cupboard is an
invitation to nasty-tasting rancidity.

Products like Baker's Joy on non-stick pans are great for
the job. Cakes will come out without a fight. Dense cakes
(fruit cakes, oil cakes, etc.) can benefit from a greased
parchment or brown paper lining in the baking pan.

The old way of greasing or buttering and coating with flour
puts a lot more fat and flour on the surfaces of the pan
than the sprays. And sprays can be a lot more even.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.baking

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Frank103 wrote:
> > I was watching a baking show and the lady said she always kept a mixture -
> > 1/3 Crisco, 1/3 veg oil and 1/3 flour - in her cupboard to spread on the
> > bottom of her cake pans so the cake doesn't stick to the pan. She said the
> > reason she doesn't use some type of spray is that a spray gets on the side
> > of the pan and the side of cake pans aren't supposed to have anything on
> > them. Can someone tell me why the sides of cake pans shouldn't be greased or
> > coated with a spray etc.. Thanks

> She conflated a lot of different baking conditions into one
> bit of advice. Unfortunately, what she said only applies
> sometimes. Chiffons and angel food cakes shouldn't be baked
> in greased or greased and floured pans (usually done in tube
> pans). Virtually all other cakes should be.
>
> Keeping that fat and flour mix in her cupboard is an
> invitation to nasty-tasting rancidity.
>
> Products like Baker's Joy on non-stick pans are great for
> the job. Cakes will come out without a fight. Dense cakes
> (fruit cakes, oil cakes, etc.) can benefit from a greased
> parchment or brown paper lining in the baking pan.
>
> The old way of greasing or buttering and coating with flour
> puts a lot more fat and flour on the surfaces of the pan
> than the sprays. And sprays can be a lot more even.
>
> Pastorio

I'm laughing at my last entry. I meant baker's joy not baker's
job. I'm also laughing because I decided to bake an angel food cake
and threw my back out trying to get the cake out of the oven. Who knew
the lightest of cakes was so dangerous. Now I can only look at my crumb
covered floor and have no idea what's happening on my cobweb covered
ceiling. lol, but actually ouch.