Posted to alt.food.asian,ba.food
la gripa colombiana

Default Fish sauce mercury levels?

I've started to like fish sauce, but I wonder how safe it is since
the entire ocean ecosystem is contaminated with mercury. Some fish
have lots more than others, and of course the anchovy extract might
concentrate the mercury, plus you're tending to use it frequently
by putting it in everything.

This article looks scientific:

http://www.univ-ouaga.bf/fn2ouaga200...ana_Soyiri.pdf

But it looks like a planted google hit, the prestigious University of Ghana
did the study after receiving a grant from Ming Lee Suk Fish Sauce Company.
Also notice the tests were performed on TUNA fish extract, not the anchovy
extract in Asian fish sauce. The abstract (can anyone find the full article,
does the prestigious journal cited even exist?) mentions precise numbers for
irrelevant things like salt and fat while referring to the imortant mercury
and heavy metal content is "below acceptable limits" with no reference as to
who sets those limits.

Hmm, looking at the article I see reference to University of Ghana at Accra,
and CIA shows Accra being capitol of Ghana and on the Gulf of Guinea. This
link shows fishing by species and countries that harvest those fish, and I
see that Ghana is the leader in anchovies and sardines.

http://www.sadl.uleth.ca/nz/collect/.../c920/tab4.htm
Posted to alt.food.asian,ba.food
notbob

On 2005-12-31, la gripa colombiana > wrote:
> I've started to like fish sauce, but I wonder how safe it is since
> the entire ocean ecosystem is contaminated with mercury.

Concentration of mercury increases as it moves up the food chain.
Small fish are eaten by larger fish which are, in turn, eaten by
larger fish. So, you'll see lower concentrations in anchovies than,
say, swordfish or tuna.

nb
Posted to alt.food.asian,ba.food
Karen

notbob wrote:
> Concentration of mercury increases as it moves up the food chain.
> Small fish are eaten by larger fish which are, in turn, eaten by
> larger fish. So, you'll see lower concentrations in anchovies than,
> say, swordfish or tuna.

I bet fish sauce, because it's so concentrated, must not be that good
for you, though. Although, that doesn't make sense, either. Probably,
should be used sparingly on general purposes, nonetheless.

Karen

Posted to alt.food.asian,ba.food
mark

A good benchmark for fish sauce ("golden boy" is my favourite, by the
way) mercury content is to pour a sample in a tall, narrow vessel. If
it goes up and down with temperature, don't use it..... !

Posted to alt.food.asian,ba.food
Jimbo

"mark" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A good benchmark for fish sauce ("golden boy" is my favourite, by the
> way) mercury content is to pour a sample in a tall, narrow vessel. If
> it goes up and down with temperature, don't use it..... !

Is that in F% or C% degrees ??
Great comment !

Jim

Posted to alt.food.asian,ba.food
mark

All kidding aside, fish sauce is a great addition to many meals, once
you get "the taste" for it. Eating any fish - salmon or tuna, for
instance, is now under some scrutiny for environmental contaminants.
Not unlike anything else, though. Moderation seems to be the rule in
this new millenium. Fish sauce is one salty ingredient though, so you
sodium-restricted types beware. But there's no real reason to be
paranoid either, since it's not used in large quantities anyways. So
enjoy. I mentioned on an earlier post I like the Golden Boy brand.
Anyone want to add their opinion on sauces they like? One shot I'd like
to make is the "Three Crabs" brand - nice bottle, twice the price,
talks the talk, doesn't walk the walk.....