ggull

Default "Gauzon" pea tendrils decoded

I was at a farmers market today, an English speaking young guy was at the
Hmong stand (some of the older ones have very limited English). I asked
him about "Gauzon". He said it's a Cambodian word that means something
like "great master" or "the master" -- basically, 'really good stuff'.

Of course they were out of them by the time I got there 8-(.

Note to Boston area readers: They weren't at Davis square this week, so I
bopped on up to Arlington center and found them. I asked, but it's not
clear whether Davis is in their plans or not; the guy at first denied they
had ever been there! Now a one day hallucination I might believe, but not
two or three days cooking up the shoots several different ways.

Googlebob

ggull wrote:
> I was at a farmers market today, an English speaking young guy was at the
> Hmong stand (some of the older ones have very limited English). I asked
> him about "Gauzon". He said it's a Cambodian word that means something
> like "great master" or "the master" -- basically, 'really good stuff'.

> Note to Boston area readers: They weren't at Davis square this week, so I
> bopped on up to Arlington center and found them. I asked, but it's not
> clear whether Davis is in their plans or not; the guy at first denied they
> had ever been there! Now a one day hallucination I might believe, but not
> two or three days cooking up the shoots several different ways.

[My regular access is a bit messed up so I'm posting from google.]

Hit the farmer's market again today, and the Hmong had only the
"ordinary" pea tendrils (still a big cut above the supermarket
variety). The man (a different guy, older and with not-great English)
said to expect the super-duper variety in 2 or 3 weeks. Something
about the weather (it was hard to tell .. heat or severe rain?) had
messed up their crop.

While I was talking to him, I asked him about the name. As near as I
can figure from this guy (who probably knows Cambodian(/Hmong) better,
but English not as well as the first informant, 20'ish), "Gauzon" is
NOT a descriptive term like "good" or "master". It's a type of pea, a
varietal name. [Just possibly, he might have meant a mode of
cultivation.] He also pronounced it something more like "Gaunzau" and
when I asked him to write it down wrote "G O N Z O" though I think it
just doesn't transliterate well. I'll report more as I find out:-).
Regardless, they're pretty good eatin':-).

Note for Boston area folk -- they *were* at Davis square this week,
didn't say anything about why not last week, and were puzzled that last
week the booth at Arlington didn't know about Davis. At least if
you're driving, they're only a few minutes apart.

Dan Logcher

Googlebob wrote:
> ggull wrote:
>
> Note for Boston area folk -- they *were* at Davis square this week,
> didn't say anything about why not last week, and were puzzled that last
> week the booth at Arlington didn't know about Davis. At least if
> you're driving, they're only a few minutes apart.

They just like to mess with ya..

--
Dan
ggull

"Dan Logcher" > wrote ...
>> ggull wrote:
>> Note for Boston area folk -- they *were* at Davis square this week,
>> didn't say anything about why not last week, and were puzzled that last
>> week the booth at Arlington didn't know about Davis. At least if
>> you're driving, they're only a few minutes apart.

> They just like to mess with ya..

Probably ;-).

It's hard to tell if they're secretive or just confused ... I had some
similar informational problem last year. Maybe they're one of those
cultures that feel compelled to give "help" even if they have no idea?

I hope you didn't get too messed up if you tried to go there
week-before-last. I just noticed that the White Hen has changed to
something I never heard of. It's funny how you go by a place and never look
because you *know* what it is. Anyway, my apologies. If you'd like to drop
me a note offline (drop the 'pants' to get my new email), I could maybe
phone you a pea tendril alert when I find the Gauzons again.

Dan Logcher

ggull wrote:
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote ...
>
>>>ggull wrote:
>>>Note for Boston area folk -- they *were* at Davis square this week,
>>>didn't say anything about why not last week, and were puzzled that last
>>>week the booth at Arlington didn't know about Davis. At least if
>>>you're driving, they're only a few minutes apart.

>>They just like to mess with ya..

> Probably ;-).
>
> It's hard to tell if they're secretive or just confused ... I had some
> similar informational problem last year. Maybe they're one of those
> cultures that feel compelled to give "help" even if they have no idea?

"And I gave that man directions even though I didn't know the way."
-Helpful Homer Simpson

> I hope you didn't get too messed up if you tried to go there
> week-before-last. I just noticed that the White Hen has changed to
> something I never heard of. It's funny how you go by a place and never look
> because you *know* what it is. Anyway, my apologies. If you'd like to drop
> me a note offline (drop the 'pants' to get my new email), I could maybe
> phone you a pea tendril alert when I find the Gauzons again.

I did not go.. I haven't had time lately to peel off from work to go to
the market. I'm hoping I can manage to in two weeks when I'm on vaca.
I'm sick of the lame produce at the Super. I bought Utoy that didn't last
more than a few days. I got one meal out of two.

--
Dan