Allen Wong

Default Japanese Short Grain Rice

What's it called? Is there a brand of it that can be bought stateside? I
live in New York, and there are tons of Asian grocers and importers
around here. Any chance that any brand makes it here?
Peter Dy

"Allen Wong" > wrote in message
> What's it called? Is there a brand of it that can be bought stateside? I
> live in New York, and there are tons of Asian grocers and importers around
> here. Any chance that any brand makes it here?

I don't think you can get Japanese rice from Japan in the States. The only
rice from Asia that I've seen is from Thailand, Pakistan, and India. Once I
thought I saw rice from Vietnam, but upon closer examination, I discovered I
had been mistaken--you have to look all over the bag for such info, and not
by which language is printed on the bag.

Peter

Musashi

"Allen Wong" > wrote in =
message news:C38vd.6663$sU4.1300@trndny01...
> What's it called? Is there a brand of it that can be bought stateside? =

I=20
> live in New York, and there are tons of Asian grocers and importers=20
> around here. Any chance that any brand makes it here?

It's called "Short grain Japanese Rice".
There are some brands sold as "Japanese Rice" or "Sushi Rice" in many =
well stocked
supermarkets.
But the best way to buy it is in a Japanese or Korean food store.
Look for "Kokuhou" or "Nishiki" brands. These are California rice grown =
from
original Japanese rice ages ago and are quite popular among Japanese =
people living
in the US. Once in a while you can find Japanese Rice shipped from =
Japan, such sa
those from Akita or Niigata prefectures, but not always. Plus they are =
expensive in
comparison.

Musashi

"Allen Wong" > wrote in =
message news:C38vd.6663$sU4.1300@trndny01...
> What's it called? Is there a brand of it that can be bought stateside? =

I=20
> live in New York, and there are tons of Asian grocers and importers=20
> around here. Any chance that any brand makes it here?

It's called "Short grain Japanese Rice".
There are some brands sold as "Japanese Rice" or "Sushi Rice" in many =
well stocked
supermarkets.
But the best way to buy it is in a Japanese or Korean food store.
Look for "Kokuhou" or "Nishiki" brands. These are California rice grown =
from
original Japanese rice ages ago and are quite popular among Japanese =
people living
in the US. Once in a while you can find Japanese Rice shipped from =
Japan, such sa
those from Akita or Niigata prefectures, but not always. Plus they are =
expensive in
comparison.

Allen Wong

Thanks, I see the Nishiki brand rice everywhere. I didn't know that
"sushi rice" was the same type of rice used daily in Japan. Go figure.

Musashi wrote:
> "Allen Wong" > wrote in message news:C38vd.6663$sU4.1300@trndny01...
>
>>What's it called? Is there a brand of it that can be bought stateside? I
>>live in New York, and there are tons of Asian grocers and importers
>>around here. Any chance that any brand makes it here?

> It's called "Short grain Japanese Rice".
> There are some brands sold as "Japanese Rice" or "Sushi Rice" in many well stocked
> supermarkets.
> But the best way to buy it is in a Japanese or Korean food store.
> Look for "Kokuhou" or "Nishiki" brands. These are California rice grown from
> original Japanese rice ages ago and are quite popular among Japanese people living
> in the US. Once in a while you can find Japanese Rice shipped from Japan, such sa
> those from Akita or Niigata prefectures, but not always. Plus they are expensive in
> comparison.

Allen Wong

Musashi wrote:
> "Allen Wong" > wrote in message news:C38vd.6663$sU4.1300@trndny01...
>
>>What's it called? Is there a brand of it that can be bought stateside? I
>>live in New York, and there are tons of Asian grocers and importers
>>around here. Any chance that any brand makes it here?

> It's called "Short grain Japanese Rice".
> There are some brands sold as "Japanese Rice" or "Sushi Rice" in many well stocked
> supermarkets.
> But the best way to buy it is in a Japanese or Korean food store.
> Look for "Kokuhou" or "Nishiki" brands. These are California rice grown from
> original Japanese rice ages ago and are quite popular among Japanese people living
> in the US. Once in a while you can find Japanese Rice shipped from Japan, such sa
> those from Akita or Niigata prefectures, but not always. Plus they are expensive in
> comparison.

Musashi

The term "sushi rice" as seen on some rice packages sold in US =
supermarkets
somewhat misleading. It implies that if you cook the contents it will =
magically=20
turn into "sushi rice".
"Sushi rice " (sushi-meshi) is not a kind of rice, it is regular =
Japanese short grained
rice that has been seasoned with vinegar and other things, and cooled.
This is the rice that is used to make anything called "sushi".
The actual rice itself is indeed the same as "regular" Japanese rice
that is served in a bowl.

"Allen Wong" > wrote in =
message news:JNnvd.10492$sr2.6817@trndny02...
> Thanks, I see the Nishiki brand rice everywhere. I didn't know that=20
> "sushi rice" was the same type of rice used daily in Japan. Go figure.
>=20
> Musashi wrote:
> > "Allen Wong" > wrote in =

message news:C38vd.6663$sU4.1300@trndny01...
> >=20
> >>What's it called? Is there a brand of it that can be bought =

stateside? I=20
> >>live in New York, and there are tons of Asian grocers and importers=20
> >>around here. Any chance that any brand makes it here?

> >=20
> >=20
> > It's called "Short grain Japanese Rice".
> > There are some brands sold as "Japanese Rice" or "Sushi Rice" in =

many well stocked
> > supermarkets.
> > But the best way to buy it is in a Japanese or Korean food store.
> > Look for "Kokuhou" or "Nishiki" brands. These are California rice =

grown from
> > original Japanese rice ages ago and are quite popular among Japanese =

people living
> > in the US. Once in a while you can find Japanese Rice shipped from =

Japan, such sa
> > those from Akita or Niigata prefectures, but not always. Plus they =

are expensive in
> > comparison.

Musashi