Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Japanese Chicken Katsu

On 11/14/2011 4:44 PM, vanillabeans18 wrote:
> Home-made chicken katsu is one of my favorite Japanese dishes. It's so
> much better when cooked at home because you have the option of using
> chicken breasts (rather than dark meat) and this makes your katsu so
> much more tender.
>
> Ingredients:
> 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to 1/2 inch
> thickness
> 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
> 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
> salt and pepper to taste
> 1 egg, beaten
> 1 cup canola oil for frying, or as needed
>
> 1) Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat
> 2) Season flattened chicken with salt& pepper.
> 3) Dip flattened chicken pieces first into flour, then egg, and lastly
> bread crumbs.
> 4) Fry breaded chicken breasts in preheated oil until golden brown and
> no longer pink in center, about 3-4 minutes per side.
> 5) Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Slice
> chicken into thin strips and serve with katsu sauce (can be purchased at
> your local grocery store)

You should try some Amai Sauce on it. There may well be other versions
of it, but this one comes from Wagamama Restaurant:

Amai Sauce

Keeps for a few weeks in the fridge & makes about 4fl oz.

1 tablespoon malt vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
2 teaspoons tamarind paste

Gently heat the vinegar, sugar and soy sauces in a small pan until the
sugar has dissolved. Stir in the remaining ingredients and set aside to
cool.

Once you make it, you'll find all kinds of uses for it.

Ian

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillabeans18 View Post
Sorry I didn't realize you're replying to a post I made earlier, but yes!
Definitely I will give it a try Ian. Thanks!
You don't necessary have to get Panko bread crumbs (expensive). You can toast some bread and grate it. It works just as well, if not better.

If you like Katsu, then you might like Katsu-don.

Place your Tori-Katsu on top of a bowl of rice (gohan). Crack open an egg and drop it on top while the rice/Katsu are hot. The egg will cook. This how it's done in Japan.

In Japan, Katsu is traditionally pork, but chicken, beef, and shrimp are also options.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP Matthews View Post
You don't necessary have to get Panko bread crumbs (expensive). You can toast some bread and grate it. It works just as well, if not better.

If you like Katsu, then you might like Katsu-don.

Place your Tori-Katsu on top of a bowl of rice (gohan). Crack open an egg and drop it on top while the rice/Katsu are hot. The egg will cook. This how it's done in Japan.

In Japan, Katsu is traditionally pork, but chicken, beef, and shrimp are also options.
This problem is true,thank you very much !
Paloma junk- Emeraude cruise- Pantai Tengah Hotels