Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Soy Puffs Recipe?

Hi -

I want to use soy puffs in my cooking more, but the ones at the local
stores are all very big. I'd like to make my own, but I can't find any
info on how to make them. My google searches all throw up recipres that
use soy puffs, but they all seem to expect you to have a packet of them
handy.

So, does anyone have a recipe they'd like to share?

Thanks,

ian
Posted to alt.food.asian

niether have i Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

http://www.wwkitchen.com/products_soyfood.asp

> Some sort of tofu balls, I take it? Probably labeled something
> different here in the US, but I don't think I've ever seen them
> either way.
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:54:04 -0500, wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I want to use soy puffs in my cooking more, but the ones at the local
>> stores are all very big. I'd like to make my own, but I can't find any
>> info on how to make them. My google searches all throw up recipres that
>> use soy puffs, but they all seem to expect you to have a packet of them
>> handy.

> I didn't think there was an Asian ingredient I've never heard of
> and/or seen, but this one is new to me.

http://www.wwkitchen.com/products_soyfood.asp

> Some sort of tofu balls, I take it? Probably labeled something
> different here in the US, but I don't think I've ever seen them
> either way.
>
> -sw

You have exactly the right product, and I was surprised when I first
noticed them too, in my Korean supermarket. If you cut them open, they
look as if someone has added baking powder to soy and gotten it to
expand. The puffs have lots of little air holes in them. The exterior
seems to have been coated in something before deep frying - possibly egg
or egg whites.

I guess I could take the commercial product, cut them in half, coat the
exposed sides, and fry them, but if I'm going to go to that trouble, I'd
as soon do the whole thing and have control over it.

If I can make the puffs work, they will be one more way to reduce my
meat consumption.

Cheers,

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:10:19 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 22:54:04 -0500, wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I want to use soy puffs in my cooking more, but the ones at the local
>> stores are all very big. I'd like to make my own, but I can't find any
>> info on how to make them. My google searches all throw up recipres that
>> use soy puffs, but they all seem to expect you to have a packet of them
>> handy.

> I didn't think there was an Asian ingredient I've never heard of
> and/or seen, but this one is new to me.

http://www.wwkitchen.com/products_soyfood.asp

> Some sort of tofu balls, I take it? Probably labeled something
> different here in the US, but I don't think I've ever seen them
> either way.
>
> -sw

that's a new one on me as well.

your pal,
blake

Posted to alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:20:34 -0500, Wilson wrote:
>

>> Ian, do you mean those little chips that you fry in oil and they puff up
>> like styrofoam? Sometimes colored or shrimp flavored.

> Those are plain 'ol wheat flour.

I should have said "with dried ground shrimp.". And they may be tapioca
flour now that I think about it. But never soy.

That was the first thing I thought of, too.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:20:34 -0500, Wilson wrote:
>>

>>> Ian, do you mean those little chips that you fry in oil and they puff up
>>> like styrofoam? Sometimes colored or shrimp flavored.

>> Those are plain 'ol wheat flour.

> I should have said "with dried ground shrimp.". And they may be tapioca
> flour now that I think about it. But never soy.
>
> That was the first thing I thought of, too.
>
> -sw

Blake's link was right on the money:
http://www.wwkitchen.com/products_soyfood.asp
Posted to alt.food.asian

the germs and nasty flavors from outback probably travelled over... i eat
meat and support anyone who wants it but outback is a horrible place and
waste of money, Lee

Cream Puffs katreen Recipes 0 27-05-2009 10:53 PM
Dreamy Orange Cream Puffs Recipe [email protected] General Cooking 0 31-08-2007 01:44 AM
Crab Puffs poppy Recipes (moderated) 0 24-05-2007 01:33 AM
Cream Puffs Duckie ® Recipes 0 21-06-2005 12:00 AM
Doughnut Puffs Duckie ® Recipes 0 17-06-2005 09:55 PM