KR

Default sweet potato leaves

As I have a group of sweet potato plants which are sure to succumb
to upcoming frosts, I've been looking at recipes for cooking sweet
potato greens.

Several things I'm unsure of:

* Are the new leaves the only parts eaten, or are all leaves?
How about the stems?

* Does it matter what type of sweet potato you are growing? I
planted several orange-fleshed sweet potatoes from a US
grocery. They must have been from different lots, however,
as two produced plants with heart-shaped leaves, while the other
potato grew into a plant with toothed leaves like a maple or
sweetgum (or like an ornamental sweet potato vine).

* Are there any health cautions which would apply to sweet
potato leaves? (Compare to: cyanogenic glycosides in
cassava stems, oxalic acid in spinach... anything which would
need extra cooking or otherwise be of interest).

Hey, by the way, I have a similarly doomed bittermelon (bitter
gourd) vine. I've heard the shoots are eaten in some cuisines.
Can anyone recommend a recipe?

Best - krnntp

Roy Basan

KR > wrote in message news:<1097784355.WqNxrpsqEOw/p1WvgYbsqw@teranews>...
> As I have a group of sweet potato plants which are sure to succumb
> to upcoming frosts, I've been looking at recipes for cooking sweet
> potato greens.
>
> Several things I'm unsure of:
>
> * Are the new leaves the only parts eaten, or are all leaves?
> How about the stems?
>
> * Does it matter what type of sweet potato you are growing? I
> planted several orange-fleshed sweet potatoes from a US
> grocery. They must have been from different lots, however,
> as two produced plants with heart-shaped leaves, while the other
> potato grew into a plant with toothed leaves like a maple or
> sweetgum (or like an ornamental sweet potato vine).
>
> * Are there any health cautions which would apply to sweet
> potato leaves? (Compare to: cyanogenic glycosides in
> cassava stems, oxalic acid in spinach... anything which would
> need extra cooking or otherwise be of interest).
>
> Hey, by the way, I have a similarly doomed bittermelon (bitter
> gourd) vine. I've heard the shoots are eaten in some cuisines.
> Can anyone recommend a recipe?
>
> Best - krnntp

Young tender sweet potato leaves (or any variety) are usually blanched
with some of the tender stems until it wilts and soft and then you
pour in some good vinegar . Other steam it for the same reason.
Then you add chopped fresh tomatoes, red onions, chillis, crushed
black pepper, some lemon juice and grated lemon peel,dash of salt
Use that as salad to accompany broiled fresh fish.
Another variant is to add matured salted fish( or what is called as
bagoong in Philippines ) instead of the salt and use the salad as an
accompaniment to broiled fish.
Others add some chopped spring onions and coriander leaves.
Roy
Roy Basan

KR > wrote in message news:<1097784355.WqNxrpsqEOw/p1WvgYbsqw@teranews>...
> As I have a group of sweet potato plants which are sure to succumb
> to upcoming frosts, I've been looking at recipes for cooking sweet
> potato greens.
>
> Several things I'm unsure of:
>
> * Are the new leaves the only parts eaten, or are all leaves?
> How about the stems?
>
> * Does it matter what type of sweet potato you are growing? I
> planted several orange-fleshed sweet potatoes from a US
> grocery. They must have been from different lots, however,
> as two produced plants with heart-shaped leaves, while the other
> potato grew into a plant with toothed leaves like a maple or
> sweetgum (or like an ornamental sweet potato vine).
>
> * Are there any health cautions which would apply to sweet
> potato leaves? (Compare to: cyanogenic glycosides in
> cassava stems, oxalic acid in spinach... anything which would
> need extra cooking or otherwise be of interest).
>
> Hey, by the way, I have a similarly doomed bittermelon (bitter
> gourd) vine. I've heard the shoots are eaten in some cuisines.
> Can anyone recommend a recipe?
>
> Best - krnntp

Young tender sweet potato leaves (or any variety) are usually blanched
with some of the tender stems until it wilts and soft and then you
pour in some good vinegar . Other steam it for the same reason.
Then you add chopped fresh tomatoes, red onions, chillis, crushed
black pepper, some lemon juice and grated lemon peel,dash of salt
Use that as salad to accompany broiled fresh fish.
Another variant is to add matured salted fish( or what is called as
bagoong in Philippines ) instead of the salt and use the salad as an
accompaniment to broiled fish.
Others add some chopped spring onions and coriander leaves.
Roy
Orchidguy

I have the Asian white sweet potatoes, we use the leaves just as you would
spinach , and the tubers are also edible as well , and can be used the same
as water chestnuts in stir frys and such or jullienned and deep fried made
in to little nests to hold food as well .
Bright days and good eating
Todd
"KR" > wrote in message
> As I have a group of sweet potato plants which are sure to succumb
> to upcoming frosts, I've been looking at recipes for cooking sweet
> potato greens.
>
> Several things I'm unsure of:
>
> * Are the new leaves the only parts eaten, or are all leaves?
> How about the stems?
>
> * Does it matter what type of sweet potato you are growing? I
> planted several orange-fleshed sweet potatoes from a US
> grocery. They must have been from different lots, however,
> as two produced plants with heart-shaped leaves, while the other
> potato grew into a plant with toothed leaves like a maple or
> sweetgum (or like an ornamental sweet potato vine).
>
> * Are there any health cautions which would apply to sweet
> potato leaves? (Compare to: cyanogenic glycosides in
> cassava stems, oxalic acid in spinach... anything which would
> need extra cooking or otherwise be of interest).
>
> Hey, by the way, I have a similarly doomed bittermelon (bitter
> gourd) vine. I've heard the shoots are eaten in some cuisines.
> Can anyone recommend a recipe?
>
> Best - krnntp

Orchidguy