WJ van den Berg

Default Ti Pan - how to treat grill pan and recipe request

In the Netherlands the Chinese restaurants often serve a cantonese
speciality called (here anyway) "ti pan". My girlfriend bought me one (a
small, oval cast-iron dish with a separate handle and wooden coaster)
from a chinese toko, but on the internet I can't really find much about
it. It seems to be linked to (japanese?) teppan, but it's not the same.
Can anyone provide me with tips on how to handle the pan (preparation,
cleaning etc) and/or recipes?

All answers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Wouter
Orchidguy

Usually these pans are treated in the same manner as anyother cast iron pan
....don't use soap and apply a thin coat of oil and heat after washing to
season the cook wear.
Good cooking
Todd

Tippi

WJ van den Berg > wrote
> In the Netherlands the Chinese restaurants often serve a cantonese
> speciality called (here anyway) "ti pan".

I am guessing this is a variation of "teet bahn", literally "iron
platter". Here in Toronto restaurents this involves heating the
platter until it's very hot, cooking the dish in a separate pan, then
pouring the contents onto the hot platter, so when it is brought to
the table (resting on a wooden "coaster") the sauce is still sizzling.

The usual type of recipes served this way are stir-fried beef, pork,
chicken etc. with a brown sauce and usually onions. Look for "sizzling
hotplate recipes". E.g. http://kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=2037

As for care, I would treat it like a cast iron pan.
Tippi

WJ van den Berg > wrote
> In the Netherlands the Chinese restaurants often serve a cantonese
> speciality called (here anyway) "ti pan".

I am guessing this is a variation of "teet bahn", literally "iron
platter". Here in Toronto restaurents this involves heating the
platter until it's very hot, cooking the dish in a separate pan, then
pouring the contents onto the hot platter, so when it is brought to
the table (resting on a wooden "coaster") the sauce is still sizzling.

The usual type of recipes served this way are stir-fried beef, pork,
chicken etc. with a brown sauce and usually onions. Look for "sizzling
hotplate recipes". E.g. http://kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=2037

As for care, I would treat it like a cast iron pan.

John Droge

"Tippi" > wrote in message
om...
> WJ van den Berg > wrote
> > In the Netherlands the Chinese restaurants often serve a cantonese
> > speciality called (here anyway) "ti pan".

> I am guessing this is a variation of "teet bahn", literally "iron
> platter". Here in Toronto restaurents this involves heating the
> platter until it's very hot, cooking the dish in a separate pan, then
> pouring the contents onto the hot platter, so when it is brought to
> the table (resting on a wooden "coaster") the sauce is still sizzling.
>
> The usual type of recipes served this way are stir-fried beef, pork,
> chicken etc. with a brown sauce and usually onions. Look for "sizzling
> hotplate recipes". E.g. http://kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=2037
>
> As for care, I would treat it like a cast iron pan.

Koreans do the same thing for things like Kalbi and Bulgogi. You could use
it also for Fajitas.
John

John Droge

"Tippi" > wrote in message
om...
> WJ van den Berg > wrote
> > In the Netherlands the Chinese restaurants often serve a cantonese
> > speciality called (here anyway) "ti pan".

> I am guessing this is a variation of "teet bahn", literally "iron
> platter". Here in Toronto restaurents this involves heating the
> platter until it's very hot, cooking the dish in a separate pan, then
> pouring the contents onto the hot platter, so when it is brought to
> the table (resting on a wooden "coaster") the sauce is still sizzling.
>
> The usual type of recipes served this way are stir-fried beef, pork,
> chicken etc. with a brown sauce and usually onions. Look for "sizzling
> hotplate recipes". E.g. http://kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=2037
>
> As for care, I would treat it like a cast iron pan.

Koreans do the same thing for things like Kalbi and Bulgogi. You could use
it also for Fajitas.
John

WJ van den Berg

Thanks for the advice!