ggull

Default Frozen Banh Su Xue -- How do I prepare (cook, whatever) them?

A while ago, at the Asian supermarket I got a pack of frozen "Vietnamese
Cake" /
"Banh Su Xue". They just looked so pretty and intriguing.

There are 6 small cakes, individually wrapped in something like cellophane.
They're a nice (very artificial looking) transparent green over some filling
with a couple of stripes of white .. something .. decoration.

Ingredients are Wheat flour, mungbean, coconut, sugar, water.
Brand is Evergreen export/import. Made in Vietnam.

I'm not even sure if they're cooked or not. So what do I do with them?
Just thaw and chaw? steam? deep-fry :-)?

(I tried microwave defrosting one, and it turned very weird, like the title
role in "The Blob".)

td

In Vietnam it's eaten at room temparature.

"ggull" > wrote in message
> A while ago, at the Asian supermarket I got a pack of frozen "Vietnamese
> Cake" /
> "Banh Su Xue". They just looked so pretty and intriguing.
>
> There are 6 small cakes, individually wrapped in something like

cellophane.
> They're a nice (very artificial looking) transparent green over some

filling
> with a couple of stripes of white .. something .. decoration.
>
> Ingredients are Wheat flour, mungbean, coconut, sugar, water.
> Brand is Evergreen export/import. Made in Vietnam.
>
> I'm not even sure if they're cooked or not. So what do I do with them?
> Just thaw and chaw? steam? deep-fry :-)?
>
> (I tried microwave defrosting one, and it turned very weird, like the

title
> role in "The Blob".)

td

"ggull" > wrote in message
> A while ago, at the Asian supermarket I got a pack of frozen "Vietnamese
> Cake" /
> "Banh Su Xue". They just looked so pretty and intriguing.
>
> There are 6 small cakes, individually wrapped in something like

cellophane.
> They're a nice (very artificial looking) transparent green over some

filling
> with a couple of stripes of white .. something .. decoration.
>
> Ingredients are Wheat flour, mungbean, coconut, sugar, water.
> Brand is Evergreen export/import. Made in Vietnam.
>
> I'm not even sure if they're cooked or not. So what do I do with them?
> Just thaw and chaw? steam? deep-fry :-)?
>
> (I tried microwave defrosting one, and it turned very weird, like the

title
> role in "The Blob".)

ggull

OK.
But are they cooked first? and if so, are these frozen ones pre-cooked?
i.e., as I said, do I just thaw and eat as is?
(I thought sure I'd find something in the couple of Vietnamese cookbooks I
have, but nada.)

Thanks for the response.

"td" > wrote ...
> In Vietnam it's eaten at room temparature.
>
> "ggull" > wrote ...
> > A while ago, at the Asian supermarket I got a pack of frozen "Vietnamese
> > Cake" /
> > "Banh Su Xue". <snip>
> > Ingredients are Wheat flour, mungbean, coconut, sugar, water.
> > Brand is Evergreen export/import. Made in Vietnam.
> >
> > I'm not even sure if they're cooked or not. So what do I do with them?
> > Just thaw and chaw? steam? deep-fry :-)?

ggull

OK.
But are they cooked first? and if so, are these frozen ones pre-cooked?
i.e., as I said, do I just thaw and eat as is?
(I thought sure I'd find something in the couple of Vietnamese cookbooks I
have, but nada.)

Thanks for the response.

"td" > wrote ...
> In Vietnam it's eaten at room temparature.
>
> "ggull" > wrote ...
> > A while ago, at the Asian supermarket I got a pack of frozen "Vietnamese
> > Cake" /
> > "Banh Su Xue". <snip>
> > Ingredients are Wheat flour, mungbean, coconut, sugar, water.
> > Brand is Evergreen export/import. Made in Vietnam.
> >
> > I'm not even sure if they're cooked or not. So what do I do with them?
> > Just thaw and chaw? steam? deep-fry :-)?

FujiGirl

"ggull" > wrote in message
> OK.
> But are they cooked first? and if so, are these frozen ones pre-cooked?
> i.e., as I said, do I just thaw and eat as is?
> (I thought sure I'd find something in the couple of Vietnamese cookbooks I
> have, but nada.)

yes, it's precooked. it's a snack. if i remember it correctly it's wrapped
in pandan leaves, or such green aromatic leaves. it could even be eaten
with a sweet thickened coconut milk sauce. i have had it before but it must
have been over 2 decades ago and i think my memory betrays me. it must be a
regional snack that's why it's not in the usual cook books. i'm going to
Cambodia and Vietnam this winter and will take down detailed note of every
dish and snack i eat. maybe i'll even find this "ba'nh su xue" somewhere.

whatever you do just don't deep fry them

FujiGirl

"ggull" > wrote in message
> OK.
> But are they cooked first? and if so, are these frozen ones pre-cooked?
> i.e., as I said, do I just thaw and eat as is?
> (I thought sure I'd find something in the couple of Vietnamese cookbooks I
> have, but nada.)

yes, it's precooked. it's a snack. if i remember it correctly it's wrapped
in pandan leaves, or such green aromatic leaves. it could even be eaten
with a sweet thickened coconut milk sauce. i have had it before but it must
have been over 2 decades ago and i think my memory betrays me. it must be a
regional snack that's why it's not in the usual cook books. i'm going to
Cambodia and Vietnam this winter and will take down detailed note of every
dish and snack i eat. maybe i'll even find this "ba'nh su xue" somewhere.

whatever you do just don't deep fry them

ggull

"FujiGirl" > wrote >
> yes, it's precooked. it's a snack. if i remember it correctly it's

wrapped
> in pandan leaves, or such green aromatic leaves. it could even be eaten
> with a sweet thickened coconut milk sauce. i have had it before but it

must
> have been over 2 decades ago and i think my memory betrays me. it must be

> regional snack that's why it's not in the usual cook books. i'm going to
> Cambodia and Vietnam this winter and will take down detailed note of every
> dish and snack i eat. maybe i'll even find this "ba'nh su xue" somewhere.
>
> whatever you do just don't deep fry them

But *everything* is better deep-fried :-)

OK, I'll stick one in the frig compartment to thaw and report back in a day
or two.
These aren't wrapped in any kind of leaf, just plastic/cellophane wrapping.
Maybe the green died outer layer is meant to look like leaf wrapping. Plus,
there are a couple of white strips that could be meant to look like ties.

ggull

"ggull" > wrote >
> OK, I'll stick one in the frig compartment to thaw and report back in a

day
> or two.
> These aren't wrapped in any kind of leaf, just plastic/cellophane

wrapping.
> Maybe the green died outer layer is meant to look like leaf wrapping.

Plus,
> there are a couple of white strips that could be meant to look like ties.

I did that. Kind of odd, but edible. These may have been kind of stale;
also, I should maybe have let it thaw another day or so. I'd like to try
freshly prepared someday.

ggull

"ggull" > wrote >