Chris Foo

Default bak kua or bak kwa

any one know the recipes for this Singaporean sweet meat delicacies

DC.

google for jerky + chinese, + beef, + pork etc. You'll probably find most of
the results you're after relating to Vietnamese jerky etc. as it's very
popular with them as well.

Seeing that you're posting from OZ, try google for 'bak kwa' & there's an
entry there for yahoo msg. boards relating to bak kwa in Sussex street in
Chinatown, Sydney.

Failing that, the basic recipe consist of fish sauce & sugar. You add
whatever you want after this, chilli powder, red colouring, soya sauce etc.

Old fashion way of making jerky
Use fatty minced pork, add marinade & flatten/spread out over round flat
rattan baskets & dry under very hot sun turning over a few times. This may
take a few days & don't forget to chase the flies away. When dried, lift the
flatten meat sheets off & use a scissors to cut into square shapes & smoke
over ash white hot charcoals. If you're old enough to remember, the dried
meat sheets/slices still have the imprint of the rattan baskets, sometimes
with additional bits & pieces too!

The modern method uses big prime pork joints & you marinate it heavily
before you use a 'dry pressure cooker' or 'dehydrator' to dry the meat out
before it is sliced into thin pieces. it is then grilled as usual.

hope this helps.

DC.

"Chris Foo" > wrote in message
> any one know the recipes for this Singaporean sweet meat delicacies

Mindy

"DC." > wrote in message >...
> google for jerky + chinese, + beef, + pork etc. You'll probably find most of
> the results you're after relating to Vietnamese jerky etc. as it's very
> popular with them as well.
>
> Seeing that you're posting from OZ, try google for 'bak kwa' & there's an
> entry there for yahoo msg. boards relating to bak kwa in Sussex street in
> Chinatown, Sydney.
>
> Failing that, the basic recipe consist of fish sauce & sugar. You add
> whatever you want after this, chilli powder, red colouring, soya sauce etc.
>
> Old fashion way of making jerky
> Use fatty minced pork, add marinade & flatten/spread out over round flat
> rattan baskets & dry under very hot sun turning over a few times. This may
> take a few days & don't forget to chase the flies away. When dried, lift the
> flatten meat sheets off & use a scissors to cut into square shapes & smoke
> over ash white hot charcoals. If you're old enough to remember, the dried
> meat sheets/slices still have the imprint of the rattan baskets, sometimes
> with additional bits & pieces too!
>
> The modern method uses big prime pork joints & you marinate it heavily
> before you use a 'dry pressure cooker' or 'dehydrator' to dry the meat out
> before it is sliced into thin pieces. it is then grilled as usual.
>
> hope this helps.
>
> DC.
>

> "Chris Foo" > wrote in message
> > any one know the recipes for this Singaporean sweet meat delicacies

DC, we tried making some bak kua at home recently but after gilling,
the bak kua turned out to be very dry, tasteless and hard like pc of
rubber. Not sure what went wrong here - we used a Lb of Minced pork
marinated with soy sauce, sugar, honey, rice wine etc for a day and
let the meat slice dry on a metal net. After which we put the meat
slice on white hot charcol to grill till it turn red. Looks good but
taste horrible !! Can you give me some advise ?
Mindy

"DC." > wrote in message >...
> google for jerky + chinese, + beef, + pork etc. You'll probably find most of
> the results you're after relating to Vietnamese jerky etc. as it's very
> popular with them as well.
>
> Seeing that you're posting from OZ, try google for 'bak kwa' & there's an
> entry there for yahoo msg. boards relating to bak kwa in Sussex street in
> Chinatown, Sydney.
>
> Failing that, the basic recipe consist of fish sauce & sugar. You add
> whatever you want after this, chilli powder, red colouring, soya sauce etc.
>
> Old fashion way of making jerky
> Use fatty minced pork, add marinade & flatten/spread out over round flat
> rattan baskets & dry under very hot sun turning over a few times. This may
> take a few days & don't forget to chase the flies away. When dried, lift the
> flatten meat sheets off & use a scissors to cut into square shapes & smoke
> over ash white hot charcoals. If you're old enough to remember, the dried
> meat sheets/slices still have the imprint of the rattan baskets, sometimes
> with additional bits & pieces too!
>
> The modern method uses big prime pork joints & you marinate it heavily
> before you use a 'dry pressure cooker' or 'dehydrator' to dry the meat out
> before it is sliced into thin pieces. it is then grilled as usual.
>
> hope this helps.
>
> DC.
>

> "Chris Foo" > wrote in message
> > any one know the recipes for this Singaporean sweet meat delicacies

DC, we tried making some bak kua at home recently but after gilling,
the bak kua turned out to be very dry, tasteless and hard like pc of
rubber. Not sure what went wrong here - we used a Lb of Minced pork
marinated with soy sauce, sugar, honey, rice wine etc for a day and
let the meat slice dry on a metal net. After which we put the meat
slice on white hot charcol to grill till it turn red. Looks good but
taste horrible !! Can you give me some advise ?
DC.

<snip>

> DC, we tried making some bak kua at home recently but after gilling,
> the bak kua turned out to be very dry, tasteless and hard like pc of
> rubber. Not sure what went wrong here - we used a Lb of Minced pork
> marinated with soy sauce, sugar, honey, rice wine etc for a day and
> let the meat slice dry on a metal net. After which we put the meat
> slice on white hot charcol to grill till it turn red. Looks good but
> taste horrible !! Can you give me some advise ?

Sorry Mindy, i only check what's posted recently to this group & i didn't
see your post which was near the top until now.

By reading what you've done & your results of very dry, tasteless & hard
like rubber bak kua, my only guess is that you've used pre-packed
supermarket mince, the ones that are almost fat free & lean. The old recipe
that i remember uses fatty mince pork, very fatty mince pork actually. So
when it cooks on the grill, fat drips off it & sizzles & smells good. That's
how i remember our old neighbour who makes Bak kua for a living does it. I
think he also beats the marinated mince into a pulp there by helping it to
be more umm.... meshed up & as they say in Cantonese yup mei (flavour enters
meat). Tasteless... maybe needs more marinating time. Dry... meat too lean,
not fatty enough & hence solid sheet of toughen cooked meat, hard like
rubber might also be due to lack of fatty pork & overcooked. That's why the
shops still need to have people who know how to grill bak kua to work there.
If you overcook it which i guess is quite easy to if you don't know how long
each side needs or how to judge the ash white charcoal etc. Also when i say
mince pork, in the old days people usually make their own mince or if you go
to the market, the butcher will ask you what cut of meat first (belly, loin
etc) then how finely mince you want it or even ask what you're cooking with
it so they know how much mincing it needs. For bak kua the old man uses
chunky, rough cuts of fatty mince which he marinates & like i say, beat the
hell out of it.

I need to add that the newer versions of bak kua uses modern prep.
techniques which doesn't require such fatty pork so that's why it's lean but
still edible & not like a piece of rubber. They dry pressure cook it which
also helps the flavour to penetrate the meat. I don't know if they tenderise
it too by adding meat tenderisers. That's probably a trade secret etc. hope
this helps.

DC.

Mindy

"DC." > wrote in message > ...
> <snip>
> >
> > DC, we tried making some bak kua at home recently but after gilling,
> > the bak kua turned out to be very dry, tasteless and hard like pc of
> > rubber. Not sure what went wrong here - we used a Lb of Minced pork
> > marinated with soy sauce, sugar, honey, rice wine etc for a day and
> > let the meat slice dry on a metal net. After which we put the meat
> > slice on white hot charcol to grill till it turn red. Looks good but
> > taste horrible !! Can you give me some advise ?

> Sorry Mindy, i only check what's posted recently to this group & i didn't
> see your post which was near the top until now.
>
> By reading what you've done & your results of very dry, tasteless & hard
> like rubber bak kua, my only guess is that you've used pre-packed
> supermarket mince, the ones that are almost fat free & lean. The old recipe
> that i remember uses fatty mince pork, very fatty mince pork actually. So
> when it cooks on the grill, fat drips off it & sizzles & smells good. That's
> how i remember our old neighbour who makes Bak kua for a living does it. I
> think he also beats the marinated mince into a pulp there by helping it to
> be more umm.... meshed up & as they say in Cantonese yup mei (flavour enters
> meat). Tasteless... maybe needs more marinating time. Dry... meat too lean,
> not fatty enough & hence solid sheet of toughen cooked meat, hard like
> rubber might also be due to lack of fatty pork & overcooked. That's why the
> shops still need to have people who know how to grill bak kua to work there.
> If you overcook it which i guess is quite easy to if you don't know how long
> each side needs or how to judge the ash white charcoal etc. Also when i say
> mince pork, in the old days people usually make their own mince or if you go
> to the market, the butcher will ask you what cut of meat first (belly, loin
> etc) then how finely mince you want it or even ask what you're cooking with
> it so they know how much mincing it needs. For bak kua the old man uses
> chunky, rough cuts of fatty mince which he marinates & like i say, beat the
> hell out of it.
>
> I need to add that the newer versions of bak kua uses modern prep.
> techniques which doesn't require such fatty pork so that's why it's lean but
> still edible & not like a piece of rubber. They dry pressure cook it which
> also helps the flavour to penetrate the meat. I don't know if they tenderise
> it too by adding meat tenderisers. That's probably a trade secret etc. hope
> this helps.
>
> DC.

DC, thank you for the advise. I will try this out with fat meat.
Mindy