george graham

Default Rasam

Anybody know where I can buy this powder in U.K.
My Bangladeshi cook used to use this a lot, but I have tried all the Asian
Grocers etc. in my area, without success.

you don't have to use rasam powder...to make REAL south indian rasam, all
you have to do is use chilli powder (the kind without cumin or any other
additives).

to 2 quarts of water, add 2 sugar cubes; 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges; 2 tsp.
chilli powder (or, to taste); 1 tsp. salt (or, to taste); and about 1/2 cup
chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves. bring to a boil and then reduce heat
and simmer until the skin falls off the tomatoes. then remove from the heat
and place carefully into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
put back into the pot and simmer for another 5 minutes.

and there you have it...authentic south indian rasam. you can eat it like a
soup or pour it over rice.

> From: "george graham" >
> Newsgroups: alt.food.asian
> Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:34:22 +0100
> Subject: Rasam
>
> Anybody know where I can buy this powder in U.K.
> My Bangladeshi cook used to use this a lot, but I have tried all the Asian
> Grocers etc. in my area, without success.

Steven grace

"george graham" > wrote in message
> Anybody know where I can buy this powder in U.K.
> My Bangladeshi cook used to use this a lot, but I have tried all the

Asian
> Grocers etc. in my area, without success.

You may get a good response to this question if you post it to
uk.food+drink.indian

Steve