Monroe, of course...

Default Salted Ziganid fry-Bagoong Padas

OK-I got the nerve to buy this jar of fermented baby rabbitfish, open
it and have a taste. The definition of Bagoong (being a paste) is
totally off here-the fish survived pretty much intact. Most bagoong is
gloppy, like the shrimp alamang with the little shrimp eyes floating in
it....
The patis (liquid part) is like a mild nouc mam-milder than even the
Thai brands. The fish themselves are crunchy-headed but pretty soft
otherwise. Less strong than the dried anchovies that are sold by the
bag.
To contrast, I've ran screaming from opened jars of mudfish
prahoc-which I quad-baggied and took to the dumpster. Whew!
Cookbook after cookbook (and subsequent Google searches) give bagoong
containing recipes that call for a tablespoon smeared onto green
mangoes or blopped into a pork stirfry (or serve it straight up with
rice)-but this seems inappropros for this more delicate product.
My main most use for fish sauces is in marinades and mixed veggie
dishes.
Any ideas on how to use this stuff?

monroe(sniffing and contemplating)
Peter Dy

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message

> OK-I got the nerve to buy this jar of fermented baby rabbitfish, open
> it and have a taste. The definition of Bagoong (being a paste) is
> totally off here-the fish survived pretty much intact. Most bagoong is
> gloppy, like the shrimp alamang with the little shrimp eyes floating in
> it....
> The patis (liquid part) is like a mild nouc mam-milder than even the
> Thai brands. The fish themselves are crunchy-headed but pretty soft
> otherwise. Less strong than the dried anchovies that are sold by the
> bag.
> To contrast, I've ran screaming from opened jars of mudfish
> prahoc-which I quad-baggied and took to the dumpster. Whew!
> Cookbook after cookbook (and subsequent Google searches) give bagoong
> containing recipes that call for a tablespoon smeared onto green
> mangoes or blopped into a pork stirfry (or serve it straight up with
> rice)-but this seems inappropros for this more delicate product.

Why does straight up with rice seem inappropriate to you? Indeed, the fact
that it is delicate seems to suggest that it should be served whole, maybe
fried a bit beforehand. So, cook up some rice, adobo or longanizas, and a
veggie dish, and eat the bagoong as a side dish. I'm not sure what type of
recipe you are looking for--bagoong padas casserole with melted cheese on
top?

Peter

[...]

Miranda Writes, Devil's Advocate

, "Peter Dy" > wrote:

>"Monroe, of course..." > wrote
>>
>> OK-I got the nerve to buy this jar of fermented baby rabbitfish, open
>> it and have a taste. The definition of Bagoong (being a paste) is
>> totally off here-the fish survived pretty much intact. Most bagoong is
>> gloppy, like the shrimp alamang with the little shrimp eyes floating in
>> it....
>> The patis (liquid part) is like a mild nouc mam-milder than even the
>> Thai brands. The fish themselves are crunchy-headed but pretty soft
>> otherwise. Less strong than the dried anchovies that are sold by the
>> bag.
>> To contrast, I've ran screaming from opened jars of mudfish
>> prahoc-which I quad-baggied and took to the dumpster. Whew!
>> Cookbook after cookbook (and subsequent Google searches) give bagoong
>> containing recipes that call for a tablespoon smeared onto green
>> mangoes or blopped into a pork stirfry (or serve it straight up with
>> rice)-but this seems inappropros for this more delicate product.

>Why does straight up with rice seem inappropriate to you? Indeed, the fact
>that it is delicate seems to suggest that it should be served whole, maybe
>fried a bit beforehand. So, cook up some rice, adobo or longanizas, and a
>veggie dish, and eat the bagoong as a side dish. I'm not sure what type of
>recipe you are looking for--bagoong padas casserole with melted cheese on
>top?
>
>Peter
>
>[...]

Peter, be careful what you ask for or make jokes about!
Look what I found yesterday when I was looking for recipes for (canned-
can't find it fresh in this part of the US) green jackfruit.........

http://www.recipezaar.com/50671

( other versions can be found at
www.fairchildgarden.org/horticulture/ jackfruit-recipes.html
and
www.neyveliweb.com/jackfruit.htm
and
asiarecipe.com/cgi/web/webbbs_config.cgi/ noframes/read/1548 )

Jackfruit Casserole
2 eggs
1 cup mayonnaise
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 teaspoon onion, minced
2 cups green jackfruit (cooked)

1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. In a medium bowl, beat eggs.
3. Blend in mayonnaise and cream of mushroom soup.
4. Stir in cheese, minced onion and jackfruit.
5. Turn into a 2 quart casserole.
6. Bake for 45 minutes.

Yowzah!
Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Peter
Dy" > wrote:

> Why does straight up with rice seem inappropriate to you?

Why does nouc mam on french fries seem inappropriate to me? Gee I
dunno. Ketchup on a hot dog seems wrong to me-so does mustard on a
hamburger. It's the old condiment specificity thing. Bagoong is called
a 'condiment' nearly universally, but there are so few recipes for use
or suggestions for useage. Websites aplenty tell me what is is but few
tell what to do with it.

> that it is delicate seems to suggest that it should be served whole, maybe
> fried a bit beforehand.

That is a good idea, Peter. I'll fry the fry. This may make better fish
sambal than the dried and bagged anchovies.

>So, cook up some rice, adobo or longanizas, and a
> veggie dish, and eat the bagoong as a side dish. I'm not sure what type of
> recipe you are looking for--bagoong padas casserole with melted cheese on
> top?

Actually I probably AM gonna throw some into a cooked-up bluebox of
Kraft Mac&Cheeze. "Bagoong Padas Goop" here I come. I bet it'll be
pretty good.

monroe(gourmand?hardly)
Roy Basan

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message g>...

> Any ideas on how to use this stuff?
>
> monroe(sniffing and contemplating)

Drain the liquid....Use the fish contents
Using peanut oil,saute it in garlic, shallots some ginger and lots
of chopped tomatoes and add some chopped hot chilis....Then sprinkle
chopped coriander.Eat it with fried rice
Bon Appetit!
Roy

mroo philpott-smythe

(Miranda Writes, Devil's Advocate) wrote in
:
> , "Peter Dy" > wrote:
>>"Monroe, of course..." > wrote

>>> OK-I got the nerve to buy this jar of fermented baby rabbitfish,
>>> open it and have a taste.

[snip]

>>I'm not sure what type of recipe you are looking for--bagoong padas
>>casserole with melted cheese on top?

>>[...]

> Peter, be careful what you ask for or make jokes about!
> Look what I found yesterday when I was looking for recipes for
> (canned- can't find it fresh in this part of the US) green
> jackfruit.........

http://www.recipezaar.com/50671

> ( other versions can be found at
> www.fairchildgarden.org/horticulture/ jackfruit-recipes.html
> and
> www.neyveliweb.com/jackfruit.htm
> and
> asiarecipe.com/cgi/web/webbbs_config.cgi/ noframes/read/1548 )

> Jackfruit Casserole
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup mayonnaise
> 1 can cream of mushroom soup
> 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
> 1 teaspoon onion, minced
> 2 cups green jackfruit (cooked)
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
> 2. In a medium bowl, beat eggs.
> 3. Blend in mayonnaise and cream of mushroom soup.
> 4. Stir in cheese, minced onion and jackfruit.
> 5. Turn into a 2 quart casserole.
> 6. Bake for 45 minutes.

Ohmygod, I think I'm going to be ill.

What a horrible way to treat a poor innocent jackfruit.

sq, "Remembering eating them from dad's trees"
mroo philpott-smythe

(Miranda Writes, Devil's Advocate) wrote in
:
> , "Peter Dy" > wrote:
>>"Monroe, of course..." > wrote

>>> OK-I got the nerve to buy this jar of fermented baby rabbitfish,
>>> open it and have a taste.

[snip]

>>I'm not sure what type of recipe you are looking for--bagoong padas
>>casserole with melted cheese on top?

>>[...]

> Peter, be careful what you ask for or make jokes about!
> Look what I found yesterday when I was looking for recipes for
> (canned- can't find it fresh in this part of the US) green
> jackfruit.........

http://www.recipezaar.com/50671

> ( other versions can be found at
> www.fairchildgarden.org/horticulture/ jackfruit-recipes.html
> and
> www.neyveliweb.com/jackfruit.htm
> and
> asiarecipe.com/cgi/web/webbbs_config.cgi/ noframes/read/1548 )

> Jackfruit Casserole
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup mayonnaise
> 1 can cream of mushroom soup
> 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
> 1 teaspoon onion, minced
> 2 cups green jackfruit (cooked)
>
> 1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
> 2. In a medium bowl, beat eggs.
> 3. Blend in mayonnaise and cream of mushroom soup.
> 4. Stir in cheese, minced onion and jackfruit.
> 5. Turn into a 2 quart casserole.
> 6. Bake for 45 minutes.

Ohmygod, I think I'm going to be ill.

What a horrible way to treat a poor innocent jackfruit.

sq, "Remembering eating them from dad's trees"

salted ziganid fish(bagoong padas) mystery Monroe, of course... Asian Cooking 21 07-02-2012 10:07 AM
Salted caramels Cindy Fuller General Cooking 0 31-12-2008 05:08 AM
Salted butter? Mitch General Cooking 38 21-06-2007 07:35 PM
Salted Nut Bars Duckie ® Recipes 0 23-09-2005 11:24 PM