Dee Randall

Default Two questions regarding Chinese cooking.

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:07:48 -0500, Jonathan DeVowe
> > wrote:
>
> > I am interested in cooking my own Chinese food and I have two
> >questions.
> > First question, what ingredients are commonly used in Chinese cooking
> >that are non-perishable and good to have on hand?

> Soy Sauce
> Oyster Sauce (Amoy brand)
> Rice Wine
> Rice Vinegar.
> Hot chile/Garlic Paste
> Hoisin Sauce
> Black Bean paste/sauce
>
> Peanut oil
>
> Dried Bean Thread
> Rice Stick noodles (several widths)
> Jasmine Rice
> Dried Shitake Mushrooms
> Dried shrimp
> Cloud Ear Fungus a.k.a "Dried Vegetable"
>
> Chicken soup base (Minors or Tones pastes - NOT BOULLION)
> Five-spice powder
> White pepper
> Cornstarch
>

> The above will allow you to make hundreds of dishes with the
> addition of just one vegetable and/or meat.
>
> > Second question, is there a place online that sells quality (something
> >that will last) woks for someone who is not at a professional level of
> >cooking at a decent price?

> Acemart.com has several cood quality and inexpensive woks.
>
> > Also, if you can suggest another group where these questions can be
> >better answered, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your

> alt.food.asian. Response crossposted.
>
> -sw

Don't forget sesame oil. I buy it by the (52 oz.) can. It keeps without
refrigeration. I pour a cup out and keep it beside my other oils for
cooking. I don't like to use it without cutting it with a little olive,
canola or other oil. Just a little can make a dish 'very' Asian tasting.
Dee

Dan Logcher

Dee Randall wrote:

> Don't forget sesame oil. I buy it by the (52 oz.) can. It keeps without
> refrigeration. I pour a cup out and keep it beside my other oils for
> cooking. I don't like to use it without cutting it with a little olive,
> canola or other oil. Just a little can make a dish 'very' Asian tasting.

Cutting it also helps reduce smoke when cooking with high heat.
I usually use olive or peanut oil with a touch of sesame.

--
Dan

Tippi

Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
> Dee Randall wrote:
>

> > Don't forget sesame oil.
> > I don't like to use it without cutting it with a little olive,
> > canola or other oil.

> Cutting it also helps reduce smoke when cooking with high heat.

Actually it should be used in a marinade, or added after removing from
heat, but not as an oil to cook with. It's a flavoring more than a
cooking oil.
Dan Logcher

Tippi wrote:

> Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
>
>>Dee Randall wrote:
>>

>>>Don't forget sesame oil.
>>>I don't like to use it without cutting it with a little olive,
>>>canola or other oil.
>>>

>>Cutting it also helps reduce smoke when cooking with high heat.
>>

> Actually it should be used in a marinade, or added after removing from
> heat, but not as an oil to cook with. It's a flavoring more than a
> cooking oil.

I do use sesame oil for marinades, but I also add a few drops to the
wok during cooking to give it flavor. I'll try just adding it at the
end and see how it tastes.

--
Dan

Duncan

"Tippi" > wrote in message
om...

> Actually it should be used in a marinade, or added after removing from
> heat, but not as an oil to cook with. It's a flavoring more than a
> cooking oil.

What sort of marinades, if I may ask. I keep my bottle in the refridgerator
since I use it so seldom.

Arey

david

Default Two questions regarding Chinese cooking-sesame

"Duncan" > wrote in message

> "Tippi" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > Actually it should be used in a marinade, or added after removing from
> > heat, but not as an oil to cook with. It's a flavoring more than a
> > cooking oil.

> What sort of marinades, if I may ask. I keep my bottle in the

refridgerator
> since I use it so seldom.

I'm just jumping into this thread, and don't have Chinese experience, but I
used sesame oil (with corriander root, chili and garlic) to marinate chicken
breast which after 30 minutes was grilled and served with a sweet chili
sauce made from vinegar, sugar, salt, chili and garlic. This is a thai dish
though.

James Silverton

"Duncan" > wrote in message

> "Tippi" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > Actually it should be used in a marinade, or added after removing from
> > heat, but not as an oil to cook with. It's a flavoring more than a
> > cooking oil.

> What sort of marinades, if I may ask. I keep my bottle in the

refridgerator
> since I use it so seldom.

A few drops add flavor to many things. A quick survey produced the
following:

Sauces: Szechuan Chicken with Chilies, Shanghai string beans, Stir fry
sauce.

Marinades: Hot Orange Beef, Corn starch marinade for stir-fried meat strips

Noodles: Cold noodles with sweet and spicy chicken.

I speak no Chinese so I can't readily give you the Chinese names for the
dishes.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA