SB

Default Deep Fried Bread

"RLK" dashes_> wrote in message
> There is a deep fried bread I used to have as a child. It is long in

length
> and fried golden brown on the outside. It is moist and fairly airy on the
> inside. Sometimes it is sprinkled with sesame seeds. I remember sometimes

we
> dipped them into our "jook" (rice gruel).
>
> What is the Chinese name for it? Would anyone have a recipe for this

bread?

Hello,

The Cantonese name is "yau tiu" ("oily sticks") or "yau ja gwai" ("oil-fried
ghosts" - there must be some crazy story behind this name!). It's strange
that I don't know anybody who makes it, and a quick search on Google did not
uncover any recipes for this common breakfast food. Very strange. I would
also like to know how they give it the elasticky texture. If there is a
Chinatown where you live, you can probably buy some in the morning since yau
tiu are served with the breakfast congree (porridge).

By the way, does anyone know what became of the monkey-tail recipe
investigation? I know it was some sort of joke, but what was the funny
part?

Has anyone ever tried beaver tails? I think it's a type of fried bread that
they make in parts of Canada (I live in Toronto). I haven't tried it
myself, but am curious as to whether it tastes like yau tiu.

SB

"SB" > wrote in message

> tiu are served with the breakfast congree (porridge).

I'm sorry, I meant to say congee.