irving kimura

Default Which Tropp book?

I'm trying to decide between the two books written by Barbara Tropp: _The
Modern Art of Chinese Cooking: Techniques and Recipes_, and _The China Moon
Cookbook_. I've browsed copies at the bookstore, but I still can't make up
my mind; both look very good, and I definitely do not want to get both (I
already have far too many cookbooks, many of which are just gathering dust).
Your comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. Maybe I should add
that this would be my first Chinese cuisine cookbook.

TIA,

Irv

B.Server

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:36:03 -0500, "irving kimura"
> wrote:

>I'm trying to decide between the two books written by Barbara Tropp: _The
>Modern Art of Chinese Cooking: Techniques and Recipes_, and _The China Moon
>Cookbook_. I've browsed copies at the bookstore, but I still can't make up
>my mind; both look very good, and I definitely do not want to get both (I
>already have far too many cookbooks, many of which are just gathering dust).
>Your comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. Maybe I should add
>that this would be my first Chinese cuisine cookbook.
>
>TIA,
>
>Irv

I have both and would part with neither. If I had to have only one,
it would be close but I would pick the Modern Art...

If you like your Chinese cooking with the lines between it and more
western techniques and menus, the China Moon book is excellent.

Both are engagingly written and full of useful information in addition
to the recipes themselves.

You can't really go wrong IMO.

Steve Wertz

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:36:03 -0500, "irving kimura"
> wrote:

>Maybe I should add that this would be my first Chinese cuisine cookbook.

You can't survive with only one chinese cookbook. I have probably 15
(most are combination of several [South]Eastern cuisines), and that's
after I sorted out the ones I could stand to part with.

-sw
Judy Cosler

I have both & totally agree with what is written below. Also, the
recipes in "Modern Art..." are a little less complicated. Both books'
recipes take a long time for the most part. There are some recipes
duplicated, but very few & always a bit different. Start by making
some of the basic stocks, chili oils etc. These are REQUIRED in
"China Moon" & optional in "Modern Art" (ie, in "Mod Art" can use
canned stock etc.) you can't go wrong with either!

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:14:52 GMT, B.Server
> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:36:03 -0500, "irving kimura"
> wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to decide between the two books written by Barbara Tropp: _The
>>Modern Art of Chinese Cooking: Techniques and Recipes_, and _The China Moon
>>Cookbook_. I've browsed copies at the bookstore, but I still can't make up
>>my mind; both look very good, and I definitely do not want to get both (I
>>already have far too many cookbooks, many of which are just gathering dust).
>>Your comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. Maybe I should add
>>that this would be my first Chinese cuisine cookbook.
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>Irv
>>

>I have both and would part with neither. If I had to have only one,
>it would be close but I would pick the Modern Art...
>
>If you like your Chinese cooking with the lines between it and more
>western techniques and menus, the China Moon book is excellent.
>
>Both are engagingly written and full of useful information in addition
>to the recipes themselves.
>
>You can't really go wrong IMO.

((.)) '))
((((((((