Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

Default Hot Sour Salty Sweet vs. Savoring Southeast Asia

Any advice between these books ?

Philippe

Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

Thanks !

I will buy the second one then...

Is it a plus after :

Die Küche Asiens by Charmaine Solomon (German translation)

Philippe

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:47:36 +0100, "Philippe Lemaire \(remove
> oldies\)" > wrote:
>
> >Any advice between these books ?

> HSSS is a coffee-table book. It's nice to look at, but doesn't do
> much for me.
>
> Steet Food is my theme for December. Wife is gone, gotta new cat..
>
> -sw

Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

Again thanks !

Will then "Savoring Southeast Asia" bring further recipes
specially concerning Vietnam ?

Philippe

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:04:47 +0100, "Philippe Lemaire \(remove
> oldies\)" > wrote:
>
> >Thanks !
> >
> >I will buy the second one then...
> >
> >Is it a plus after :

> >Die Küche Asiens by Charmaine Solomon (German translation)

> By all means, *buy* Charmaine (squeezeably soft) Solomon's books. I
> honestly reccommend her "Encyclopedia of Asian Ingredients" over any
> other book on the market.
>
> Bruce Cost's and several of the Culinaria Series (from a German
> Publisher) come in second place for me - but are also excellent reads.
>

> -sw

Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

Default What is then the best Vietnamese cooking book to buy next ?

I have :

Die Küche Asiens by Charmaine Solomon (German translation)
La cuisine vietnamienne et chinoise by Nguyen Ngoc Rao

Thanks and regards,

Philippe

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 11:14:16 +0100, "Philippe Lemaire \(remove
> oldies\)" > wrote:
>
> >Again thanks !
> >
> >Will then "Savoring Southeast Asia" bring further recipes
> >specially concerning Vietnam ?

> uhh, No. Like I said.

amalia

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:47:36 +0100, "Philippe Lemaire \(remove
> oldies\)" > wrote:
>
> >Any advice between these books ?

> HSSS is a coffee-table book. It's nice to look at, but doesn't do
> much for me.

I've had good luck with this one, in spite of its totally unwieldy size.
I've made Burmese and Thai dishes that taste remarkably like what I've had
in those countries, and some delicious Yunnanese recipes although for these
I have no basis for comparison.

I received Savoring SEA as a gift, and am surprised by how much I use it.
The Vietnamese recipes are especially good.

If you're looking for a regional cookbook, I'd say these are pretty good.

-Amalia

"amalia" > wrote in message
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:47:36 +0100, "Philippe Lemaire \(remove
> > oldies\)" > wrote:
> >
> > >Any advice between these books ?

> > HSSS is a coffee-table book. It's nice to look at, but doesn't do
> > much for me.

> I've had good luck with this one, in spite of its totally unwieldy size.
> I've made Burmese and Thai dishes that taste remarkably like what I've had
> in those countries, and some delicious Yunnanese recipes although for

these
> I have no basis for comparison.

So you speak here about HSSS...

> I received Savoring SEA as a gift, and am surprised by how much I use it.
> The Vietnamese recipes are especially good.
>
> If you're looking for a regional cookbook, I'd say these are pretty good.

And here of SSEA...

Being the best for Vietnamese food !
Considering I already have a book by Charmaine Solomon with a chapter on
this subject ?

Regards,

Philippe

> -Amalia

amalia

"Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)" > wrote in
message . be...
> "amalia" > wrote in message
> > "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> > > HSSS is a coffee-table book. It's nice to look at, but doesn't do
> > > much for me.

> > I've had good luck with this one, in spite of its totally unwieldy size.
> > I've made Burmese and Thai dishes that taste remarkably like what I've

had
> > in those countries, and some delicious Yunnanese recipes although for

> these I have no basis for comparison.
>
> So you speak here about HSSS...
>
> > I received Savoring SEA as a gift, and am surprised by how much I use

it.
> > The Vietnamese recipes are especially good.

> And here of SSEA...
>
> Being the best for Vietnamese food !
> Considering I already have a book by Charmaine Solomon with a chapter on
> this subject ?

Phillippe, I'm not sure what you're looking for, do you want to replace the
C. Solomon book or add to your collection?

If I were giving a gift, I'd give HSSS (it reads very well in addition to
being a good cookbook). If I were buying for myself, and I had the Solomon
regional book, and liked the results, I'd skip these two and instead look
for country-specific books for those cuisines I like the most.

I do have multiple cookbooks for SE Asia, and I do use both these books
regularly, usually in addition to a country-specific book when making a meal
from that country.

Don't know if that helps...

-Amalia

"amalia" > wrote in message
> > > in those countries, and some delicious Yunnanese recipes although for

> > these I have no basis for comparison.
> >
> > So you speak here about HSSS...
> >
> > > I received Savoring SEA as a gift, and am surprised by how much I use

> it.
> > > The Vietnamese recipes are especially good.

> > And here of SSEA...
> >
> > Being the best for Vietnamese food !
> > Considering I already have a book by Charmaine Solomon with a chapter on
> > this subject ?

> Phillippe, I'm not sure what you're looking for, do you want to replace

the
> C. Solomon book or add to your collection?

Amalia, I have a C. Solomon book with recipes from every? Asian country...
Looking now for more specific Vietnamese and Filipino recipes !

Japan, India and China are overbooked !
Thai is OK and Koren shall be soon...
No idea of what Yunnanese is !

Philippe

> If I were giving a gift, I'd give HSSS (it reads very well in addition to
> being a good cookbook). If I were buying for myself, and I had the Solomon
> regional book, and liked the results, I'd skip these two and instead look
> for country-specific books for those cuisines I like the most.
>
> I do have multiple cookbooks for SE Asia, and I do use both these books
> regularly, usually in addition to a country-specific book when making a

meal
> from that country.
>
> Don't know if that helps...
>
> -Amalia
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Philippe
> >

> > > -Amalia

Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

So still looking for the best Vietnamese Cooking Book if it is not the C.
Solomon Asian Cooking Book...

Have a nice week-end,

Philippe

"Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)" > wrote in
message . be...

> "amalia" > wrote in message

for
> > > these I have no basis for comparison.
> > >
> > > So you speak here about HSSS...

use
> > it.
> > >
> > > And here of SSEA...
> > >
> > > Being the best for Vietnamese food !
> > > Considering I already have a book by Charmaine Solomon with a chapter

on
> > > this subject ?

> > Phillippe, I'm not sure what you're looking for, do you want to replace

> the
> > C. Solomon book or add to your collection?

> Amalia, I have a C. Solomon book with recipes from every? Asian country...
> Looking now for more specific Vietnamese and Filipino recipes !
>
> Japan, India and China are overbooked !
> Thai is OK and Koren shall be soon...
> No idea of what Yunnanese is !
>
> Philippe
>

> > If I were giving a gift, I'd give HSSS (it reads very well in addition

> > being a good cookbook). If I were buying for myself, and I had the

Solomon
> > regional book, and liked the results, I'd skip these two and instead

look
> > for country-specific books for those cuisines I like the most.
> >
> > I do have multiple cookbooks for SE Asia, and I do use both these books
> > regularly, usually in addition to a country-specific book when making a

> meal
> > from that country.
> >
> > Don't know if that helps...
> >
> > -Amalia
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Philippe

Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

Thanks !

Unfortunately : Not disponible now...

Philippe

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:29:46 +0100, "Philippe Lemaire \(remove
> oldies\)" > wrote:
>

> >So still looking for the best Vietnamese Cooking Book if it is not the C.
> >Solomon Asian Cooking Book...

> I cook a lot of Vietnamese food, and I think "The Simple Art of
> Vietnamese Cooking" by Binh Duong & Marcia Kiesel is the best one out
> there. It has the best selection of recipes and comes as close to
> 'authentic' as I know of from eating at a lot of vietnamese
> restaurants here in the U.S.
>
> -sw

Ken Blake

In . be,
Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies) >
typed:

> Unfortunately : Not disponible now...

Although expensive ($86 US, and up) it *is* available used on
amazon.com.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:29:46 +0100, "Philippe Lemaire \(remove
>> oldies\)" > wrote:
>>

>> >So still looking for the best Vietnamese Cooking Book if it

is not
>> >the C. Solomon Asian Cooking Book...

>> I cook a lot of Vietnamese food, and I think "The Simple Art

of
>> Vietnamese Cooking" by Binh Duong & Marcia Kiesel is the best

one out
>> there. It has the best selection of recipes and comes as

close to
>> 'authentic' as I know of from eating at a lot of vietnamese
>> restaurants here in the U.S.
>>
>> -sw

Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

Found :

The Best Of Vietnamese Cooking (UK Edition) Anh, Suzanne Ngoc EUR 11.41
Pleasures Of The Vietnamese Table (Recipes And Reminiscences From Vietnam'S
Best Market Kitchens, Street Cafes, And Home Cooks) Pham, Mai EUR
26.19
Vietnamese Cuisine Huang, Su Huei EUR 15.19
Vietnamese Cooking (Exotic Delights From Indo-China) Do Van, Paulette
EUR 6.59
Authentic Vietnamese Cooking (Food From A Family Table) Trang, Corinne
EUR 24.60
The Book Of Vietnamese Cooking Chrysalis Books EUR 14.75
Delightful Vietnamese Cooking (US Edition) Ang, Eng Tie EUR 13.36
The Book Of Vietnamese Cooking (US Edition) Hsiung, Deh-Ta EUR 11.43

Philippe

"Philippe Lemaire (remove oldies)" > wrote in
message . be...
> Thanks !
>
> Unfortunately : Not disponible now...
>
> Philippe
>

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:29:46 +0100, "Philippe Lemaire \(remove
> > oldies\)" > wrote:
> >

> > >So still looking for the best Vietnamese Cooking Book if it is not the

C.
> > >Solomon Asian Cooking Book...

> > I cook a lot of Vietnamese food, and I think "The Simple Art of
> > Vietnamese Cooking" by Binh Duong & Marcia Kiesel is the best one out
> > there. It has the best selection of recipes and comes as close to
> > 'authentic' as I know of from eating at a lot of vietnamese
> > restaurants here in the U.S.
> >
> > -sw

Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\)

Thanks once more...

I will go for it next time I get some vouncher !